NL2 Thunder Rock Development Thread

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

So I got started on my first serious park and decided to make it quite high detail in the scenery. Not just adding many trees like a lot of people would and then calling it 'detailed scenery'. Of course I've done this before. But like paying attention to materials and grasses under trees and making a couple of smooth rides that fit in well. Also trying to place different sorts of trees in places, not just to fill gaps but try to create some sense of realism with shrubs taking up the forest floor in some areas and masking rides realistically. Even creating small gravel paths for people to walk down on the terrain away from the main ride zone. The supports aren't quite done but they are a mix of lots of pre-fabs which fit the coasters and a few added bonuses for a more interesting style. I can't wait to get home and access my somewhat large NL1 scene objects library to make this even better although I'll probably have to tone down the detail on the other side of the lake so I can still get some kind of decent quality video out of this. Already my laptop is just beginning to struggle to keep the frame rate up on faster sections. I'll probably film the thing with just one train running on the coaster I'm on and maybe a couple of short-lasting wide shots with both. Perhaps in future, one extremely detailed coaster will suffice for a park or a couple of small ones. Some filming trickery might be needed, but for now, you can have pictures of what I have done.

White top on Peregrine Falcon.
Posted Image

Extra steel supports to help the wooden structure.
Posted Image

A path. Might have wooden fence posts when nearing completion.
Posted Image

Ace Detection fixed by hand of course.
Posted Image

My favourite bit.
Posted Image

Water at different heights anybody?
Posted Image

Some interesting Zero-G supports.
Posted Image

Me trying Arrow's style on an inverted corkscrew with reasonable results. More work might be needed to perfect this on future coasters.
Posted Image

All settings maxed out for this photo. To be honest, it didn't have much of an effect when running the coasters compared to when everything was minimised. It looked pretty similar too.
Posted Image

Work on this park will likely grind to a standstill once I get home, even if I do get access to my NL1 library, because the lack of K'nex in my hands is slowly killing me more than my liver is. And as Gvus2001 knows, I want to get my duelling hybrid done and quickly start work on recreating his little awesome coaster (which probably won't be so little once I'm finished with it) before I inevitably get waaayyyy too stressed about university which right now is something I'm possibly considering taking a medical break from. But for now I have this laptop and an iPod only to play with so this is what's on my current radar. Enjoy. :D

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum