• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

Posted Image

Unlike regular votes/polls we ask you to write about your choice, the final judgement will be done by the staff but our opinion will be influenced by your personal opinions! So write about the strong and weak points,shaping, innovation, uniqueness, theming, under-doggy-ness etc.

Take a good look at the amazing 6 entries and pick your favourite or write about all of them!

COLD - SSCoasters Rides Database
Sleet - SSCoasters Rides Database
Freezing Point - SSCoasters Rides Database
Boreas - SSCoasters Rides Database
K'nex Coaster - Reindeer Run - SSCoasters Rides Database
Wendigo - SSCoasters Rides Database

Depending on the amount of entries here we hope to announce the winner next week!

Good luck!

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

I really liked CoasterGeek987's Boreas. The shaping was very nice with little to no sharp spots, he did a great job supporting the coaster, and the theming looked really good. All of the snow, terrain, and that red thing (don't know what to call it) near the end was nice.
so it gets it in my opinion.

Edited by -=Zach=-, 29 January 2014 - 10:42 AM.

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#3 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

Let me begin with stating that I won't do in-depth reviews of each competing coaster. I'll try to summarize my opinion on each of the models, which can get quite blunt.

COLD. Clean, twisty layout with a very interesting way of simulating snow with our beloved snowflake connectors.
Sleet. A crammed layout with lots of random winter/xmas objects.
Freezing Point. A bit sloppy, with a slow pace, but a decent layout after all.
Boreas. A very clean ride, nice use of pathways, but lacks originality.
Reindeer Run. Original, decent use of theming, but the layout does not really flow.
Wendigo. Very nice use of colours, real snow and tubes.

In the end I had to choose between COLD and Wendigo, but all in all I went with COLD.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#4 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

I am voting for Wendigo. I really liked the layout and thought it was very well shaped. Bonus points for beng outside in real snow.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#5 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

I really like Boreas. The elements were twisty and the shaping is flawless. The ride - with all its snow and paths - is well themed and the overall look of this coaster is very neat. Boreas is my favorite.

Posted Image

#6 KBP2000

KBP2000

I love music

• 266 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

COLD is absolutely my favorite. Nice shaping and nice theming. But the lift shakes a bit. For the rest: Awesome! :)

KBP :D

Posted Image
KBP2000

#7 Stretchman1o1

Stretchman1o1

BANNED

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

Maxxlam,
I did not mean to comment on this post. Would you please delete this comment?

Edited by Stretchman1o1, 29 January 2014 - 05:47 PM.

#8 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

COLD - Awesome k'nex only theming. Solid layout, would've liked to see more variety. Lift was quite jerky, and the speed through the station could've been slower. Pacing throughout was good for the most part. Overall, a very solid 5x5x5 ride.
Sleet - Not a bad coaster. A bit unrefined, some shaking, some imperfect pacing. I liked the theming.
Freezing Point - I like the layout, some of the elements were moderately bumpy, and the pacing was unbalanced. Zach shows a lot of potential, not a bad coaster overall.
Boreas - Classic eurofighter-esque, layout is nice and twisty. I really like the color scheme. Pacing was excellent, shaping was refined.
Reindeer Run - I commend the effort, but kind of amateurish shaping. A good attempt, and Connector shows a lot of potential.
Wendigo - Impressive. I like the layout and the color scheme, the pacing and shaping were good, and the theming adds a nice touch.

Final vote - Boreas.

#9 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

All of the builders did a great job. But I think that if I had to choose it would be easier just to show all of my thoughts.
COLD - has a vary cool layout but it does have a couple of flaws such as sharp spots and shaking. But nothing to really detract this coaster from its beauty.
Sleet - has a bunch of realistic elements. It also flows really well. The only thing is the theme does not seem to be there.
Boreas - has a cool theme and it flows EXTREMELY well. The use of the raised base really looks professional. Although the only thing that stands out is it has no originality.
Windego - This coaster has cool tubes and the real snow adds a bonus. The colors are cool too.
Reindeer Run - This is my coaster so I will talk about the things that are wrong with it. I think it could have used a little bit more flow and maybe a few more elements. But I did my best with the time restraint and pieces I had at the time. If I would have had more time to build I could have done better. I did not hear about this contest until 2 weeks before. By everybody else's comments it look like Reindeer Run winning the contest would be more than a miracle. So we are down to the final 5 and I choose... -Boreas.

Edited by Connector1o1, 29 January 2014 - 07:04 PM.

#10 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

I choose you COLD. I like the terrain and elements.

#11 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

I liked Boreas a lot, great flow for a very compact coaster.

The layout on Freezing Point was equally cool in my oppinion, but the trackwork not so (mostly due to backbone transitions etc.)

Sleet was a fun coaster but in my oppinion not winning material. Then again, I'm kinda biased on VV coasters so yeah...

On COLD, I really liked the mountain terrain and the way the inversions are half embedded. This was definitely one of the best entries.

Reindeer Run looked a bit bigger than the other SS coasters, which I liked. Theming was cute, the little houses were nice. The weird upside-down part kinda ruins it for me though.

And at last, Wendigo. If there'd be a poll, this one would've had my vote. It just has "it". It's the best kind of compact layout in my oppinion, trackwork is good, and theming (the snow) show that you put that little bit of extra effort into this.

#12 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

i liked all of them but to me the 2 most impressive were
Reindeer Run-I really liked the train with Rudolph (I am gonna call the other one Dasher) and Santa's sleigh very cool it could have used a few more elements and in the part before the station before the downward curve it could have used a little more speed other than that fabulous!
COLD-I really like the use of the Banana roll and the ice sickles and the shaping of the ride although it looked a little rushed it could have used a final brake run for a nice slow run in the station but the coaster lacked a wow factor for me

Final choice-Reindeer Run

#13 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

My two favs were wendigo and freezing point, so ill just put my comments on those two.

Wendigo: a great layout, but had a lot off speed loss, bad even for vv. The colors were great and I liked the fact that it was put in real snow. But I did notice that the shaping could be improved though.

Freezing Point: though this coaster was not shaped perfectly, or suported perfectly, it was themed very well. Along with all the cotton snow it had real branches, making for great theming. It also had some terrain and a very cool, unique layout.

I cannot decide my favorite between these two, but I hope one of them wins.

#14 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

@TheSUCKcrew
The weird upside down part was suppose to be a heartline roll into a helix. It was the LAST day I had to finish my coaster. I had to do something otherwise I would not have gotten the coaster in the thread. The original plan was too do a cobra roll (Where that weird part is) then go straight into a dive loop then a helix connecting it to the station. It would havelooked ALLOT better. Well there is always next year right? :)

#15 wyomingman

wyomingman

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

I made Sleet.
Based on comments I obviously won't win, but I don't care about that; I just kinda wanted to enter and see what people thought of it.
I enjoyed all of the coasters and they seemed to be great. My reviews (not quite as critical)

COLD: An awesome coaster, I loved the elements and shaping. Maybe a bit more theming and the removal of a few side pieces, but other then that 10/10 :)
Freezing Point: a good solid coaster with good theming and elements! nice work :D
Boreas: I loved how it flowed very smoothly. I liked the elements too! Just a bit shaky on the lift, but other then that, Great Job! :D
Reindeer Run: Loved the cars! The shaping was great and it was REALLY good for Connector1o1's first tube support! :) Nice job.
Wendigo: LOVED the shaping and the coaster and color scheme. Great coaster! :)

My favorites: Reindeer Run and Wendigo.

And Sleet: Like Connector1o1, I am going to say what I disliked, or what I thought could be better about my roller coaster.
My loop was.... not great. It was shaky and the shaping was not perfect. My over banked turn could have been better and more aesthetically pleasing. And on my Cobra Roll, I should have staggered my tubing, the shaping would've been better.
I needed to add more supports on a variety of areas. All in all, an ok coaster but a great learning experience for me. I am working on improving my shaping.

I have not had as much practice and if ANY of you have ANY feedback, I'd love to have it so that I can continue to improve!

My Youtube Channel (Noah Smith) : http://www.youtube.c...GBYi6NL0c0pRnlA

Follow me on Instagram @smittyknex

#16 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:50 AM

@TheSUCKcrew
The weird upside down part was suppose to be a heartline roll into a helix. It was the LAST day I had to finish my coaster. I had to do something otherwise I would not have gotten the coaster in the thread. The original plan was too do a cobra roll (Where that weird part is) then go straight into a dive loop then a helix connecting it to the station. It would havelooked ALLOT better. Well there is always next year right? :)

It's hard to build with these limitations, so it's not a problem really. Better luck next year, indeed ;)

I made Sleet.
Based on comments I obviously won't win, but I don't care about that; I just kinda wanted to enter and see what people thought of it.
I enjoyed all of the coasters and they seemed to be great. My reviews (not quite as critical)
And Sleet: Like Connector1o1, I am going to say what I disliked, or what I thought could be better about my roller coaster.
My loop was.... not great. It was shaky and the shaping was not perfect. My over banked turn could have been better and more aesthetically pleasing. And on my Cobra Roll, I should have staggered my tubing, the shaping would've been better.
I needed to add more supports on a variety of areas. All in all, an ok coaster but a great learning experience for me. I am working on improving my shaping.

I have not had as much practice and if ANY of you have ANY feedback, I'd love to have it so that I can continue to improve!

To me, shaping and supports are very important. You've done pretty good, but some of the others were just a bit better. It's harder to shape your elements nicely with VV, afaik. I saw that someone said there wasn't enough theming but I do not agree. There was plenty of christmas stuff around the coaster.

#17 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:11 AM

There's no need to throw excuses back and forth. Remember, we want your personal opinions on the models. The final verdict will be made by the staff.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 soggyhotdoggg

soggyhotdoggg

Architect

• 605 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

I'm sold on cold. I love the use of the white snowflakes and there isn't really any slow parts in or anything and it flowed really well. And it has no heartline rolls which I, for some reason, just don't seem to like.

#19 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

For me, it all came down to Cold vs Wedigo.

Both coasters make great use of the restricted space. Both models were well built, nicely shaped, and include great layouts. Both coasters utilized a vertical lift, and included unique elements and inversions.
The deciding factor, for me, came to the theming. Interestingly enough, both models approached the aspect of theming in different but equally effective ways:

I really appreciate COLD's simulated terrain built from all white pieces. I felt it gave a great snow-covered landscape feel, and the layout intereacted with the terrain very nicely. Nice inversion variety. The base and terrain together made this model look structurally solid. If I had to say something negative, it would be that too much of the layout is hidden from view.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I really appreciate Wendigo's color scheme. The aqua, blue, and white colors work perfectly with the coaster's theme, and the addition of being outside with real snow added just an extra amount of cool to an already great model. Great elements, and I absolutely love the lift structure. If I had to say something negative, it would be that the loop at the end seemed disproportional.

In the end, after much deliberation, and by just a slim margin, I had to go *dramatic pause* with COLD.

#20 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

For me, it all came down to Cold vs Wedigo.

Both coasters make great use of the restricted space. Both models were well built, nicely shaped, and include great layouts. Both coasters utilized a vertical lift, and included unique elements and inversions.
The deciding factor, for me, came to the theming. Interestingly enough, both models approached the aspect of theming in different but equally effective ways:

I really appreciate COLD's simulated terrain built from all white pieces. I felt it gave a great snow-covered landscape feel, and the layout intereacted with the terrain very nicely. Nice inversion variety. The base and terrain together made this model look structurally solid. If I had to say something negative, it would be that too much of the layout is hidden from view.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I really appreciate Wendigo's color scheme. The aqua, blue, and white colors work perfectly with the coaster's theme, and the addition of being outside with real snow added just an extra amount of cool to an already great model. Great elements, and I absolutely love the lift structure. If I had to say something negative, it would be that the loop at the end seemed disproportional.

In the end, after much deliberation, and by just a slim margin, I had to go *dramatic pause* with COLD.

I am new to this but is your decision the winner?