airtime. intamin knex mega coaster

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

Hello again. This is my second coaster I have posted to ssc. This will be an Intamin Mega coaster with a fairly compact and twisty layout, but will have an abundant amount of airtime. Like my last coaster, this will have tube and box supports. I will also keep the colors much more organized than my last coaster. This coaster will be heavily inspired by Expedition G-force and Bizzaro at SFNE. Ok, let's get to the photos (I have a lot!)
Posted Image
This is how long the train will be. 6 cars in fact:)
Posted Image
This is about how tall it will be. This is also my tallest coaster yet!
Posted Image
The start of the first drop!
Posted Image
The whole thing. Don't worry the chain will not be so bad as it is now later in the project.
Posted Image
Speaking of tube supports.
Posted Image
Some braces.

I know there was a lot of of photos. What I have planned to do next is make a 180 turn into a nice ejector airtime hill. The turn will be tube supported. As for the hill, I'm not sure. Like always tell me what you think, how I could improve etc.
Also, as seeing what has been happening on the montu recreation thread, please, constructive criticism and kind comments are welcome. I don't need sugar coating, just don't be rude. I'm not expecting rude comments though because you guys were very nice on my last thread.

Edited by JayketheKid, 04 March 2014 - 08:14 PM.

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#2 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

Don't go so big. I know that it's awesome to see huge 7 foot models like Tatsu, but those require tons of peices, effort, experience, and time. I had to cancel my hyper (LINK) because I ran out of peices after the first hill. Try making the crest at the next to the last support. That way, it's easier to prevent shaking, and you won't need nearly as many peices.

Edited by IonZer0, 04 March 2014 - 05:42 PM.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#3 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

What zero said. Also, check out these links. Your lift is alright, but it's inconsistent, and not very sturdy.

http://www.sscoaster...-tutorial-8076/

http://www.sscoaster...tutorial-15311/

#4 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:56 PM

Don't go so big. I know that it's awesome to see huge 7 foot models like Tatsu, but those require tons of peices, effort, experience, and time. I had to cancel my hyper (LINK) because I ran out of peices after the first hill. Try making the crest at the next to the last support. That way, it's easier to prevent shaking, and you won't need nearly as many peices.

Thanks for the advice, but I have a large amount of pieces, I know the basics of tube supports. Also when you mean making the crest next to the last support, what do you mean by that? Oh I know it is big, but it is not outrageous. What I meant by how big it is is that it is bigger than my other models. This is a mere 3 and a half feet tall:)
Also what DDRman said, I will try to make my lift less inconsistent, but I know the lift isn't sturdy, that is what I was targeting was like intamins visual under supporting. Thanks for the advice, I will make it stronger. Here is a photos of what I was trying to target with my lift
Posted Image

Edited by JayketheKid, 04 March 2014 - 06:06 PM.

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

#5 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Looks cool, it would look better if you made the supports like on mil force and if you made the creast larger, intamin ussually has very large crests on their coaster. Besides that, good luck!!!

#6 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

The reason DDRman posted a link to the base rod tutorial is because your first tower has a yellow rod base and the other two are on a red rod base, they don't line up. I suggest making them all on a yellow rod base, like the first one, because right now the second tower is leaning a bit and the first part of the lift has a small bulge, making a consistent base should straighten it up. Using a backbone on the lift might make it look better also.

Posted Image

#7 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

The reason DDRman posted a link to the base rod tutorial is because your first tower has a yellow rod base and the other two are on a red rod base, they don't line up. I suggest making them all on a yellow rod base, like the first one, because right now the second tower is leaning a bit and the first part of the lift has a small bulge, making a consistent base should straighten it up. Using a backbone on the lift might make it look better also.

I see now! But there is only on problem. I don't have hardly any yellow rods. But I will try to convert the rest to red rods and fix the towers

#8 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

I have all six Infinity Stones

• 728 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

I see now! But there is only on problem. I don't have hardly any yellow rods. But I will try to convert the rest to red rods and fix the towers

Also, when building larger coasters, try to use boxes. Don't just add a tube in there. It looks ugly. You'll also want to strengthen that spine on the lift, especially if you're going to have a thin base. Otherwise, I'm excited to see more!

#9 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

Also, when building larger coasters, try to use boxes. Don't just add a tube in there. It looks ugly. You'll also want to strengthen that spine on the lift, especially if you're going to have a thin base. Otherwise, I'm excited to see more!

Typically intamin designed coasters have a mix of boxes and tubes, If he uses tubes for the turns and boxes on the airhills it should look perfectly normal. I do think that the tube on the drop should be changed to a box though.

Posted Image

#10 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

Typically intamin designed coasters have a mix of boxes and tubes, If he uses tubes for the turns and boxes on the airhills it should look perfectly normal. I do think that the tube on the drop should be changed to a box though.

I would do that but, that is actually part of the turn. It is slightly banked and turning. Trust me, it will look a lot better once I finish the turn :)

#11 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

:D Beautiful Update :D

Well, it is day two of construction. I am extremely surprised at how this is turning out!
What I have done is strengthen the lift, I fixed the leaning tower, made the yellow towere and base into a red rode ste up but caused the beginning of the lift to bend backwards a bit (it will be fixed). And I worked on the turn. The turn is super good. It has some strengthening stuff on it, but I will add more. Alright, enough with the chit-chat. Let's get to the photos:D
Posted Image
This is the lift hills new support structure
Posted Image
As I said before, the bottom of the lift is starting to bend. Yes, it will be fixed!
Posted Image
Oh, I forgot to put this up there ^. I painted my cars a shiny silver.
Posted Image
The nearly complete first drop.
Posted Image
A side view so you all can see the shaping of the first drop.
Posted Image
Another view for shaping reasons.

Ok so, please tell me what I should change or do to make this better. Please constructive comments are welcome. A couple questions. How should I strengthen the track more? A-more track work style of strengthening B- more supports C-Both.
The other question is more serious. This doesn't have a name. I can't think of anything. So could you guys come up with some. Since I live in Kansas, it should have some western influence. It should sound tough and macho too. Some thing similar to Outlaw Run. I like that name that silver dollar city chose. So anything like that would fine. Thanks for reading and have a nice day.

#12 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

That drop is Sweet.
The only thing I would change is the crest. Other people have already said this, but the crest should be more like this:
Posted Image
the crest on an intamin mega coaster is small, but yours is too small. Other than that, I really like how this looks.
:)

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#13 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

^I actually like the crest the way it is. It transitions smoothly into the drop and that's all that matters. It is different, but not in a bad way.

The shaping on the drop is superb and your supports are looking fantastic. I'm really impressed!

Edited by Jumpge, 05 March 2014 - 09:11 PM.

Posted Image

#14 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

I actually really like the track work and supports here! Keep it up! :)

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#15 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

The drop is looking great, but I agree with zach that the crest should be fixed.

#16 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

You will need more supports, especially in the valley. Another opinion would be to get rid of the flexi rods and instead layer grey rods. Its much stronger and if done right leads to smoother shaping, but its very hard to make extremely twisty elements. Also the drop should be heart lined a bit, think expedition geforce. Looks good and keep on going! Lastly are the trains weighted?

#17 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:43 PM

Looks great. As far as strengthening goes on some of the bigger tube supports, if not all of them, I would have 6 rods going up instead of 4, it will make the tubes a lot stronger.

Posted Image

#18 Killerbunny

Killerbunny

Fear the bunny!

• 554 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:02 AM

I think the crest could use a little work, just eliminate the sharp spot where the gears are and you'll be fine. Can we have a pov of the drop?

Posted Image

Thanks Spitfire!

Coaster Count: 73

1. Millenium Force 2. Montu 3. Top Thrill Dragster 4. Raging Bull 5. Maverick

#19 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

So guys, I made the crest bigger. It really screwed up the drop, so I am going to build it back to the way it was, sorry. I tried to build it the best I could. So the next update might be a while away

#20 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

I need an answer for two things. One, I need a name for this coaster. And two, I am feeling like making this into a intamin looper instead. Would you guys like that?