32 replies to this topic

#1 wyomingman

wyomingman

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

Hey guys,
I am beginning a knex amusement park, and this woodie will be the first ride.
I am planning on having a total of three roller coasters, which include a micro woodie, micro invert, and an SS steel. Not sure if I will have the room or the pieces, but I'm going to try to finish them.
I'm also going to attempt a chairlift, as well as a chairswing...
Anyways, here is my woodie so far, and I've already run out of blue connectors, but it is looking pretty good and more are on the way. Once I get more pieces, the turn will be two blue rods higher.
Here are the pics:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tell me what you think!!! :D
wyomingman
(noah smith)

My Youtube Channel (Noah Smith) : http://www.youtube.c...GBYi6NL0c0pRnlA

Follow me on Instagram @smittyknex

#2 Coasterman345

Coasterman345

Carp Diem

• 610 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

Looks good, but there is too big of a drop right after the top, going into the turn. It'll fly right threw it and won't look very realistic.

Edit: NVM didn't see that you were running out of pieces.

[SIGPIC]

Signature (Current)

[/SIGPIC]

“Reality continues to ruin my life.” ― Bill Watterson

#3 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

Nice work so far! First impressions are indeed everything, and you've got me hooked! It's a nice, very wooden 'styled structure' (that's was the intention, right? ;) )
Just two things I would suggest:

-Are you sure you want to make it a micro creation? If you have sufficient SS parts, why not make it an SS woodie? You'd probably be able to make a longer, more realistic layout, plus the track style lends itself far better to 'wooden style' models. The structure you've built so far makes it seem like it's going to be an SS anyway, so you wouldn't have to change anything you've built so far...
-The lift seems a bit steep so far, but I guess it depends which style of woodie you're building...so far it seems more Intamin like Balder (Balder - Liseberg (Gothenburg, Göteborgs-Bohus, Sweden))

On a side note, you could use what you've done so far to make a 'turning' drop like this (Kentucky Rumbler - Beech Bend (Bowling Green, Kentucky, USA)), which is more of an a la GCI...whatever you want...I'm sure it'll great whatever!

#4 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

I have all six Infinity Stones

• 728 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:03 PM

Looks really nice so far. Micro woodies are rare, and when done right, can be beautiful. I actually think the speed loss isn't that bad on micro woodies.

#5 Gvus

Gvus

Just ride

• 1595 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:46 PM

I personally love building micro woodies, but seeing one done with standard sized structure is very interesting.

#6 wyomingman

wyomingman

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:26 AM

Looks good, but there is too big of a drop right after the top, going into the turn. It'll fly right threw it and won't look very realistic.

Edit: NVM didn't see that you were running out of pieces.

Thanks! :)

Nice work so far! First impressions are indeed everything, and you've got me hooked! It's a nice, very wooden 'styled structure' (that's was the intention, right? ;) )
Just two things I would suggest:

-Are you sure you want to make it a micro creation? If you have sufficient SS parts, why not make it an SS woodie? You'd probably be able to make a longer, more realistic layout, plus the track style lends itself far better to 'wooden style' models. The structure you've built so far makes it seem like it's going to be an SS anyway, so you wouldn't have to change anything you've built so far...
-The lift seems a bit steep so far, but I guess it depends which style of woodie you're building...so far it seems more Intamin like Balder (Balder - Liseberg (Gothenburg, Göteborgs-Bohus, Sweden))

On a side note, you could use what you've done so far to make a 'turning' drop like this (Kentucky Rumbler - Beech Bend (Bowling Green, Kentucky, USA)), which is more of an a la GCI...whatever you want...I'm sure it'll great whatever!

Thanks for the suggestions! :D I have decided to make it micro as they seem very rare...

Looks really nice so far. Micro woodies are rare, and when done right, can be beautiful. I actually think the speed loss isn't that bad on micro woodies.

Thanks! I'm hoping to make this quite good :)

I personally love building micro woodies, but seeing one done with standard sized structure is very interesting.

Yes, I have very few micro pieces, believe it or not. Just a bunch of spine materials and track :D.

UPDATE:

So I was able to find a random structure I built a LONG time ago and I was able to take it apart and finish the turn of the woodie. I have also added micro track with spine and so far I think it looks decent. Tell me what you think!! :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tell me what you think :)

#7 Cobra Roller

Cobra Roller

I have all six Infinity Stones

• 728 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:57 PM

Looks very solid to me. Banking is great and the pre-drop looks nice. Continue sir :)

#8 CowmanBearPig

CowmanBearPig

In The begining....

• 533 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

It looks good! Just one question, where is the chain gonna go?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current Project

Launched Coaster

#9 CoasterWarriorUnlessSleeping

CoasterWarriorUnlessSleeping

loves the new acronym

• 121 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

You should be able to have a pretty cool layout with the height you're building at. With standard supports, I think you'll experience less speed loss as well. So far so good, but do pay attention to what Cowman said cause that's pretty important.

Good luck with this build!

#10 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:02 PM

This is looking very promising and is very nice so far! Though I do agree with the others in spotting that there is no space for the chain. Apart from that please continue!

#11 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:27 AM

Nice job Noah! :) I am very glad to see you build a wooden style coaster, it looks solid already. Be sure to make the pullout big enough, because lots of wooden coasters have more of a graduil pullout.
Edit: I don't know what I am talking about, I'm sure the pullout will be just fine. Sorry for the pointless comment.

Signature not available 

#12 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

It shouldn't be too hard to wind a chain through that structure. Probably just a couple of minor alterations needed. Shaping does look fairly nice and the supports suit well.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#13 24fan

24fan

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

nice coaster can't wait to see it when its done

#14 wyomingman

wyomingman

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:07 PM

Looks very solid to me. Banking is great and the pre-drop looks nice. Continue sir :)

Thanks!!

It looks good! Just one question, where is the chain gonna go?

oh yes.... I will figure it out, maybe make a small gap in the spine.

You should be able to have a pretty cool layout with the height you're building at. With standard supports, I think you'll experience less speed loss as well. So far so good, but do pay attention to what Cowman said cause that's pretty important.

Good luck with this build!

Thanks!

This is looking very promising and is very nice so far! Though I do agree with the others in spotting that there is no space for the chain. Apart from that please continue!

Thank you :) and yes I will find a place for the chain.

Nice job Noah! :) I am very glad to see you build a wooden style coaster, it looks solid already. Be sure to make the pullout big enough, because lots of wooden coasters have more of a graduil pullout.
Edit: I don't know what I am talking about, I'm sure the pullout will be just fine. Sorry for the pointless comment.

ok. Thanks for the tip! And I don't care even if it is the most pointless tip, which it isn't. I still appreciate it :)

It shouldn't be too hard to wind a chain through that structure. Probably just a couple of minor alterations needed. Shaping does look fairly nice and the supports suit well.

alright. Thanks :)

nice coaster can't wait to see it when its done

Thank you!

-----------

Thanks for all the tips guys! However, this upcoming part is when I will likely need more tips...

I've never built a woodie now that I think about it, so tell me if the drop is too steep or something. I think the shaping is decent so far except for on the bottom of the drop where there are a few bumps.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Maybe the bottom is a bit too sharp...

And I have another ride I have been working on while waiting for pieces.
It is a... boomerang? type coaster with a simple, roundish loop.
It will have a micro chain with micro connectors attached to it, which will be on the bottom of the track. The connector will hook the wheel of the car and bring it to the top of the hill (I'm still trying to see if this is possible), and then drop it when it reaches the end of the chain at the top of the hill. It still needs a lot of work and is far from perfect.
pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry for the long post

Tips (pointless or not) appreciated!

wyomingman

#15 Yannick

Yannick

Colossos Forever

• 614 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:13 PM

I think the drop is a bit too straight and the pullout is too small. Apart from that I like it so far!

Posted Image

Coaster Count: 84

Check out My new Eurofighter

1- Colossos 2- Tatsu 3- Formula Rossa 4- Kraken 5- BlueFire 6- Hulk 7- Dragon Challenge 8- X2 9- Scream(SFMM) 10- Krake

#16 Coasterman345

Coasterman345

Carp Diem

• 610 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:16 PM

^Agreed, unless you are going for an older style. Also the second hill looks too small, unless it barely makes it over.

[SIGPIC]

Signature (Current)

[/SIGPIC]

“Reality continues to ruin my life.” ― Bill Watterson

#17 WickedC99

WickedC99

Put your hands UP!

• 220 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

wyomingman
(noah smith)

WHAT????? I REMEMBER YOU FROM YOUTUBE!!!! How's it going?

Founder of Heidrich Construction, LLC.

43931.png

Wicked Cyclone Fireball Goliath Fury 325 Zephyrantes
©2016 Heidrich Construction, LLC.

#18 WickedC99

WickedC99

Put your hands UP!

• 220 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

I think that the drop on the wooden coasters a bit too steep.

Founder of Heidrich Construction, LLC.

43931.png

Wicked Cyclone Fireball Goliath Fury 325 Zephyrantes
©2016 Heidrich Construction, LLC.

#19 wyomingman

wyomingman

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:13 PM

I think the drop is a bit too straight and the pullout is too small. Apart from that I like it so far!

Ok. I made some changes. The pullout may still be a bit small. Thanks!

^Agreed, unless you are going for an older style. Also the second hill looks too small, unless it barely makes it over.

ok. Thanks!

WHAT????? I REMEMBER YOU FROM YOUTUBE!!!! How's it going?

:) good!

I think that the drop on the wooden coasters a bit too steep.

It may be, I made some changes though.

-------

UPDATE:
I made many changes to the drop and pullout, although the drop may be a bit steep and the pullout may be a bit small. I've also installed the chain. I've begun construction on the Tell me what you think! :)

http://i846.photobuc...zpsa6d48c9f.mp4

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://i846.photobuc...zpsddcd61f1.mp4

Thanks!
wyomingman
(noah smith)

QUICK EDIT:
sorry for the small pictures they were supposed to be videos but they messed up.

#20 wyomingman

wyomingman

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:32 AM

Here is an update! Suggestions and tips are appreciated!! :)

So I made a turn and a catwalk and I've made adjustments to the drop.

Posted Image

Posted Image
The brakes:
Also does the catwalk look a bit too high here?
Posted Image

thanks
wyomingman