Legal Question

build coaster laws legal real life

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

Quick question guys. What type of legal documentation goes into the planning, designing, and building of a coaster? Yes, I have searched the internet already.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#2 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

Well, I am sure of zoning regulations and height restrictions. The ride has to be built to code. I mean I don't know everything but it's a pretty complex process.

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#3 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:10 PM

Well, I don't know about coasters.
But when my company wanted to install the plant's second powder building, we had to provide landscape details of the proposed area. This included distances from existing buildings for a general location, as well as distance from the levee (state code requires pile caps to be a certain distance away from the levee). One of my jobs for that project was to provide a drawing that located all the underground piping in that area: fire water, city water, process water, natural gas, and an electrical ductbank. Of course, we didn't want to accidentally drive a 40' pile through a natural gas line.

Once we had all the necessary information provided from my company's end, we sent a package of these drawings to the company that handles all our civil work to draw up plans for our foundation. But the fun doesn't stop there...

Once we had the foundation modeled up and included in our 3D drawings, we began putting together a floor plan. Some of this was easy, as we had models and information for a lot of the equipment that we had used in the previous powder building that we wanted to use again. But some stuff, like post-hydrolysis and crystallization, required a lot of back-and-forth with the engineers and a lot of reviewing and approving before we ended up with a layout that made everyone happy.

There's a lot more thought put into a powder building than I thought. For example: Between the burners, cyclones, and reactors, we need at least 14' of clearance to drive a flat-bed through, because that's how the reactors are brought into the building. Every time we had to relocate any of those structures, we had to ensure that we maintained that 14' clearance, provided paths for forklifts from the bagging area, kept fire-doors clear for fire regulations, and kept foot traffic from crossing over our forklift traffic.

Here's a recent example: Initially, we had 8 reactors that discharged through actuated butterfly valves and dumped into the hood of the pregrinder. The sales department was approved to order the reactors and pregrinder.
A couple weeks later, our office in France notified us that we needed to add these big 10' diameter screws between the reactors and pregrinder because it prevented our product from clumping up the pregrinder.
Since the reactors and pregrinder were already ordered, we had to re-design the pregrinder's hood and the reactor's steel structure to acommodate for the extra size and weight of the new equipment.
Now, just yesterday, an engineer comes over to tell me that France now wants those screws to be put on a slope. This would ensure that there's no backup or dead space in the screw sleeve.
That means Monday, I'll have to tweek the position of both the screws and reactors to acommodate for the new angled screw, and re-design the hood to fit the other two arrangements.

.... I suppose coaster design is a lot like this, too.

Edited by The Stig, 06 September 2014 - 06:13 PM.

#4 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

@Jaykethekid Thanks for the info.

@Stig: Wow, your job sounds like a bucket of fun. Thanks for the information. I'll try my best to hypothesize the process for a coaster installation.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#5 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:31 PM

Wow, your job sounds like a bucket of fun.

The work is.
The people are meh.