Superman Ultimate Flight

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyUpsidedown

JohnnyUpsidedown

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:16 PM

Getting to work on my latest model creation. Decided to do a Superman model.
Hope to get it up and running over the weekend.
Will update with a few photos as I build and then photos and video when its done.
This will not be an exact replica but the general layout is the main goal.
J>
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 JohnnyUpsidedown

JohnnyUpsidedown

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:12 PM

Moving along, getting a rough idea as to the layout and the fit on the bases. So far I think I have the layout figured out, just need to build it.
Will be using a custom flying train that I created for the ride, photo below.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:58 PM

My only advice is to make the pullin to the pretzel loop more gradual, and to make the overbank sharper.
Posted Image

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#4 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:59 PM

That train looks great. I'm really impressed with how it looks. The track needs a little altering as IonZer0 pointed out but I know it's far from finished so keep up the great work so far.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#5 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:05 PM

Looks great so far, Johnny! Nice to see some CD work again.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#6 JohnnyUpsidedown

JohnnyUpsidedown

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:22 PM

So work continues on Superman. Last photo for today as my fingers are starting to get tired. Will have more tomorrow and probably have it done too. The rest of the ride is just a few turns. Overall the layout and shaping are coming along pretty good. Had to go larger on my base as the ride just gets bigger as I build it. So here it is railed through the pretzel and so far it makes the course which is the hard part besides getting a good shape to everything. CD is a little different to build with then Knex. Anyway, look for more tomorrow.

The trains are something I created and have a decent flying train look to them.
Glad you guys/girls are enjoying some CD goodness...

Posted Image

#7 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:57 PM

I really like the look of this so far and all the little details you're adding in. If only k'nex speed loss was that good...

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#8 JohnnyUpsidedown

JohnnyUpsidedown

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:54 PM

Was wondering have any of you added a bunch of weight to your train. Like filling it with clay. More weight does not go faster but my thought is the heavier train may cause more downward pressure on the wheels witch might cause more friction, resulting in more loss of speed per foot of track. The coolest part of CD is the close to realistic loss in speed making them operate more like a real coaster does. Sometimes i wish CD had a little less loss of speed as it can limit size and shape of the ride you can build. You can build awesome stuff but if you can not get back to the lift it can be a problem. .

#9 JohnnyUpsidedown

JohnnyUpsidedown

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:48 AM

Work continues on Superman. Got some more done last night on the coaster. Added more rails, a turn, station and brake run areas. Hopefully it will make the complete layout as I just never know if they will work until the last piece goes in. Should have it done later today.
Latest progress..

Posted Image

#10 JohnnyUpsidedown

JohnnyUpsidedown

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:03 PM

Final look before its in operation. Everything seems to fit and runs pretty good so far with just a little bit left to do. Video and photos of the finished model will be later today as I have to wait for more light in the room to shoot video.
Last look at Superman..

Posted Image

#11 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

That looks awesome. I wish I could get my hands on some cd to build a decent sized coaster.

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#12 JohnnyUpsidedown

JohnnyUpsidedown

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:20 PM

Superman Ultimate Flight is now open!
The ride has turned out pretty good, runs good and looks pretty close to the original layout at several of the Six Flags Parks.

Click Here For Photos & Videos

Here is Superman...
Posted Image

And it came out pretty close to the desired shape...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Long Video can be found here.... Its a Quick time video
http://www.johnnyups...os/fc10long.m4v

#13 pǝʇɹǝʌuı

pǝʇɹǝʌuı

I am a cat

• 202 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:58 PM

Looks great, Johnny! Glad to see you on these forums after the CD forums got shut down. TBH I'm surprised you never did superman before considering how many models you've created.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#14 G Force

G Force

Yea Man

• 1098 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:38 AM

Looks really nice and accurate. Are you going to add a station or surroundings?

#15 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:27 PM

Wow awesome job, welcome to SSC your probably one of the best CD builders and most dedicated just saying. You should build a coaster out of knex sometime too.

#16 JohnnyUpsidedown

JohnnyUpsidedown

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:16 AM

Thanks guys. Answer a couple questions. Never liked to do reproductions of rides. But batman backward came out so good i decided to do superman. I want to try doing the scorcher next but not sure i can get it back on the lift due to poor performance of the sitdown trains.

As for theme work. Once i get into a larger place with a room for building I will bb getting trees and all that stuff. Plus it costs a bunch.

Building with knex. One i am the CD master. Two if i built with knex i would do only wooden coasters and would only want brown pieces to work with. You guys build some amazing looking wooden structures That look like the real thing.

So onto my next model. Have been looking at either vortex at carwinds or california great adventure as a warm up. Then try the scorcher. Or may try a flooless like batman at SFNE.

I want to do a bunch of recreations as they are kind of fun and a challange.

#17 -i!Koozie!i-

-i!Koozie!i-

!Wazzap!

• 368 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:54 AM

You should build Superman at SFFT or Poltergeist, I am positive you could pull that off!

Edited by -i!Koozie!i-, 21 May 2015 - 08:57 AM.

Posted Image

^Thanks Coasterman345^

1.IRON RATTLER 2.POLTERGIEST 3.SUPERMAN: KRYPTON COASTER 4.TITAN 5.JUDGE ROY SCREAM

#18 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:49 AM

You know, it's crazy but you should attempt Fury 325!

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#19 pǝʇɹǝʌuı

pǝʇɹǝʌuı

I am a cat

• 202 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:04 PM

One i am the CD master.

Haha can't argue with that. Can't wait to see some more recreations! I would love to see you take on something big like Raptor or Riddlers or something but I don't know if you have enough space.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]