• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Sorunome

Sorunome

Programmer

• 436 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:33 AM

It is done, more about that here!

Well, I am working on a ball machine which could also be seen as a ball coaster, so I have been told to post it in this subforum. If it is in the wrong place feel free to move it :)
Now, after I got that out of the way, let's get started:
This thing has a 7.35 meters drop and a 2.20 meters looping, it is still in development.
Posted Image
Posted Image

You have no idea how lucky you are when making a coaster that your car is actually attached to the track, if it isn't, like with the balls here, you have to be extremely careful of it not falling off. That also means that with such high speeds I get I can't even make straight track due to it being impossible to make the track perfect. That is why I will have to move todays work a bit around:

Posted Image

As always, for more images and stuff you can check out my website here: http://sorunome.de/icarusat

Edited by Sorunome, 12 August 2015 - 12:49 PM.

logo_v1_small.png 36691.png

#2 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:17 PM

Wow, that's huge. I'll definitely be watching this!

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#3 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:55 PM

Wow that's incredible. I've never seen a dive loop in an Original Knex coaster either. Like you aid about the car falling off, I would take it that laterally vibrations would also knock it off? Are you going to add to the loop frame?

Formally RK500

#4 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:00 PM

Nice to finally see it here. Tuely massive construction, very unique. Also, for the straight part, (assuming you mean right after the loop) try to have it a constant curvature like the pullout of a real coaster?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

1) Leviathan 2) Behemoth 3) Vortex 4) Sheikra 5) Kumba 6) Kraken 7) Montu 8) Manta 9) Dragon Fire 10) Gwazi

#5 Guest_321_*

Guest_321_*

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:38 PM

You're probably one of the best ball machine makers i know so this will be great coaster/ ball machine!!!

#6 Sorunome

Sorunome

Programmer

• 436 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:07 PM

Wow, that's huge. I'll definitely be watching this!

Thanks!

Wow that's incredible. I've never seen a dive loop in an Original Knex coaster either. Like you aid about the car falling off, I would take it that laterally vibrations would also knock it off? Are you going to add to the loop frame?

It isn't a real issue as long as the track is bending up as the ball is pushed towards the track then, the speed is very large. As long as you have a good spine it is also fairly easy to get the shape correctly. Also, what all counts as a dive loop? Because I had something similar (but smaller) in my last ball machine: https://www.youtube....h?v=-lhC7ZHJCjc

Nice to finally see it here. Tuely massive construction, very unique. Also, for the straight part, (assuming you mean right after the loop) try to have it a constant curvature like the pullout of a real coaster?

What'cha mean by that? Also, ironically the machine works waaaaaaay better in the evening when it isn't so hot outside ^.^

You're probably one of the best ball machine makers i know so this will be great coaster/ ball machine!!!

Thanks!

#7 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 04:11 AM

ironically the machine works waaaaaaay better in the evening when it isn't so hot outside ^.^

I am thinking the heat causes track deformation, decreasing its performance.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#8 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:32 AM

Yay! You posted it! Looks awesome, as I've said. You should show them the cobra roll too, even through it didn't work.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#9 Sorunome

Sorunome

Programmer

• 436 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:50 AM

I am thinking the heat causes track deformation, decreasing its performance.

Yeah, probably something like that

Yay! You posted it! Looks awesome, as I've said. You should show them the cobra roll too, even through it didn't work.

Fine :P
The thing is with cobra rolls that it seems next to impossible if the ball isn't attached to the track...

So yeah, all of these prototypes are defunc.

Prototype 1:
Posted Image

Prototype 2 (slightly smaller):
Posted Image

Prototype 3 (tried banking before twisting so that at 180° the track was already banked):
Posted Image

#10 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

What about widening the track ever so slightly in inversions like these? The angles at which the ball touches the track would be different, giving more sideways stability. Just a thought. :)

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#11 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:23 PM

Wow - what a unique 'coaster'! Have you thought about putting another track directly on top, to stop the ball falling out when it inverts? Or is that cheating ;) ?
Anyway, looks very nice so far. Please continue.

Posted Image

#12 Sorunome

Sorunome

Programmer

• 436 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:41 PM

What about widening the track ever so slightly in inversions like these? The angles at which the ball touches the track would be different, giving more sideways stability. Just a thought. :)

Already tried that without success, thus I dropped the cobra roll idea. That prototype three was modified severely several times for such things but I didn't take my time for pics there :P

Wow - what a unique 'coaster'! Have you thought about putting another track directly on top, to stop the ball falling out when it inverts? Or is that cheating ;) ?
Anyway, looks very nice so far. Please continue.

I tried that but that caused a great speed decrease :/

#13 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:23 PM

Though defunct, these are still pretty sweet looking!

Posted Image

#14 Sorunome

Sorunome

Programmer

• 436 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:31 PM

Spiders love my ball machine. And so do birds!

Anyways, today I worked some more again and HOURS later I finally got something for after that dive loop working: a somewhat awkward corkscrew:
Posted Image

I hope you like it! :D

#15 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:44 PM

However you manage to finish this, it will be one of the most recognisable creations on here. I don't think I've seen anything quite like this.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#16 Sorunome

Sorunome

Programmer

• 436 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:03 PM

However you manage to finish this, it will be one of the most recognisable creations on here. I don't think I've seen anything quite like this.

Thank you! Well, this is probably the last rollercoster-like elment due to speed issues, also, you can see I had to use a side railing on this corkscrew.... >.<

#17 Infinity

Infinity

Umm

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:06 PM

This looks absolutely amazing. Are you going to give it a way to make its way back to the top or will the circuit just finish at the lower level?

#18 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:29 PM

I've never seen this thread before, so seeing it today kinda made my head explode. This is one of the craziest things I've seen on here, and I'm glad you're doing it. Looks great man. :)

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#19 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:56 PM

Nice to see it working! What else will you have on this end of the machine besides a lift?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

1) Leviathan 2) Behemoth 3) Vortex 4) Sheikra 5) Kumba 6) Kraken 7) Montu 8) Manta 9) Dragon Fire 10) Gwazi

#20 Sorunome

Sorunome

Programmer

• 436 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:52 AM

I've never seen this thread before, so seeing it today kinda made my head explode. This is one of the craziest things I've seen on here, and I'm glad you're doing it. Looks great man. :)

Thanks a lot!

Nice to see it working! What else will you have on this end of the machine besides a lift?

Thanks! And what'cha mean?

Also, started making a track around the roses, didn't get so far today, but, well, the shot is pretty good IMO:
Posted Image

Also, I'm running low on orange-tabbed connectors! D:

Edited by Sorunome, 29 June 2015 - 11:56 AM.