20 replies to this topic

#1 KKid99

KKid99

Ejector Airtime Lover

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:19 PM

Hello all,

I just finished up this recreation of Goliath at Six Flags Great America about a month ago. It is about a 1/50th scale model of the real ride, with all elements being very much exactly to scale. In addition, it includes several realistic and accurate qualities to the real Goliath, for which I will describe in this photo / video post. Hopefully this removes me from the "Newbie" status haha.

Posted Image
Of course, all rides on Goliath begin in the station. This station was made out of micros because of a regular K'nex piece shortage I had towards the end of construction. The block / sign in the center my dad got at Goliath's media day. =) There are even stairs going up to the station right underneath the pre-drop section.

Posted Image
Here is a good shot of Goliath's lift hill. As you can see, I put a lot of time into making the supports look aesthetically appealing.

Posted Image
Another shot of the lift hill with the tunnel that I added towards the bottom of the photo.

Posted Image
This is the duo of the over-bank and the twist and shout. The overbook is exactly 120* to mimic the real coaster.

Posted Image
The entrance to the dive loop. I tried to add correct heart-lining so that it was aesthetically appealing. Sadly due to loss of speed, I had to utilize a booster in this recreation.

Posted Image
A solid look at the dive loop.

Posted Image
This is a shot looking up towards the zero-G stall support structure. Also, you can see the friction braking mechanism that I utilized.

Posted Image
Who doesn't love a pano of the whole layout? (lol)

And finally, here's the video I uploaded to my YouTube channel showcasing everything Goliath has to offer. The lyrics to the song are explicit so viewer discretion is advised.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJqLuyWzvgI

Enjoy, and please give back feedback! I want to constantly improve and I appreciate both criticism and praise!

Thanks,
KKid99 (H)

"Less pieces = more fun . . ." (H)

- KKid99

#2 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:43 PM

Dude, its so awesome to welcome you to SSC!
This recreation was really nice, I liked how the lift hill had a spine that went on the side of the track making it look more realistic. I quite enjoyed the final video and it worked very well. I can't wait to see more. Welcome man!

Edited by Connector1o1, 14 August 2015 - 07:48 PM.

Signature not available 

#3 +Timmeh+

+Timmeh+

ranting somewhere about something

• 890 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:02 PM

Woah, this recreation was really good.
Nice work :P

Sic Parvis Magna
TimmehTheAmazing

#4 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:13 PM

Finally! You decided to join SSC!

Great coaster! You can only improve from here :P

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#5 KKid99

KKid99

Ejector Airtime Lover

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:14 PM

Thank you so much! Having the spine on the side was actually one of the first things I tried to do haha. Also thanks for the warm welcome!

- KKid99

#6 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:12 AM

I stumbled upon this coaster on YouTube! Great work on this recreation my friend! I think you could've done without the booster if you used weighted trains, but this looks fantastic! Great work on all the elements and the supports as well!

Posted Image

#7 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:20 AM

Will you use more than 1 car in the future? It looks a bit funny. :P

Great job on the recreation, If you weight, clean, and lube your cars in the future you might not need to use a booster.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#8 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:45 PM

Hopefully this removes me from the "Newbie" status haha.

Newbie status doesn't have anything to do with your builds, it's based on post count and how long you've been here.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 KKid99

KKid99

Ejector Airtime Lover

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:05 PM

I stumbled upon this coaster on YouTube! Great work on this recreation my friend! I think you could've done without the booster if you used weighted trains, but this looks fantastic! Great work on all the elements and the supports as well!

Thanks for the feedback! I already have weighted the car with 4 quarters, but I doubt that is enough weight required to have the effect that you describe. What do you SSC people weight with?

- KKid99

#10 KKid99

KKid99

Ejector Airtime Lover

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:06 PM

Newbie status doesn't have anything to do with your builds, it's based on post count and how long you've been here.

How long do I have until the "Newbie status" is gone then? What is the post threshold / time threshold that I need to cross?

- KKid99

#11 KKid99

KKid99

Ejector Airtime Lover

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:12 PM

Will you use more than 1 car in the future? It looks a bit funny. :P

It's funny you should ask that haha. Like I say on my profile I only have one Rippin' Rocket set and zero SS sets. All the rest of the tubing and cross ties I bought off of E-bay. Because I only have the RR car, which doesn't work correctly with the chain, I had to design a custom chain dog out of micro K'nex to fit in the underbelly of the RR car. And because I don't have any regular chain, I had to use micro chain and make it work haha. My chain dog system is sometimes glitchy, and I've gone through many versions (7 to be exact), but my latest version works the best IMO.

Thanks for asking and I would be pleased to show everyone my custom chain dog sometime!

- KKid99

#12 W5WAC0sTerS

W5WAC0sTerS

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:20 PM

I weight mine with dead AA batteries. I am not sure but I just recently moved up to construction worker, when I finally noticed I saw I had posted 32 times. Idk if that helps in anyway, but I figured I would try anyways.

#13 KKid99

KKid99

Ejector Airtime Lover

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:23 PM

I weight mine with dead AA batteries. I am not sure but I just recently moved up to construction worker, when I finally noticed I saw I had posted 32 times. Idk if that helps in anyway, but I figured I would try anyways.

Alright, that shouldn't take very long haha. And I don't believe that AA batteries will fit into the RR car configuration. Might need to find another creative solution...

- KKid99

#14 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I already have weighted the car with 4 quarters, but I doubt that is enough weight required to have the effect that you describe. What do you SSC people weight with?

How long do I have until the "Newbie status" is gone then? What is the post threshold / time threshold that I need to cross?

50 posts + a month on the forum I think.

It's funny you should ask that haha. Like I say on my profile I only have one Rippin' Rocket set and zero SS sets. All the rest of the tubing and cross ties I bought off of E-bay. Because I only have the RR car, which doesn't work correctly with the chain, I had to design a custom chain dog out of micro K'nex to fit in the underbelly of the RR car. And because I don't have any regular chain, I had to use micro chain and make it work haha. My chain dog system is sometimes glitchy, and I've gone through many versions (7 to be exact), but my latest version works the best IMO.

Thanks for asking and I would be pleased to show everyone my custom chain dog sometime!

Alright, that shouldn't take very long haha. And I don't believe that AA batteries will fit into the RR car configuration. Might need to find another creative solution...

Also, if you hit the little "+ thing in the bottom right of the posts, you'll see a check mark, you can multiquote with this, and when you're done selecting the posts you want to reply to, just hit reply with quote and it will all show up in the Quick Reply box at the bottom :D.

Edited by Rollerfreak987, 15 August 2015 - 01:44 PM.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#15 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:02 PM

Also, if you go in your settings you can actually type in a different quote I'm pretty sure, like I did for mine adding "Airtime Seeker" instead of my status. If you want to do that you can, but it won't get rid of the *(new)* thing beside your logo for a while. I don't know if a guy can change his name if he is a "newbie" status but I think you can.

Signature not available 

#16 Infinity

Infinity

Umm

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

50 posts + a month on the forum I think.

The newbie status was removed for me after I made 10 posts over the span of over a whole year. I think it's just 10 posts that you need.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#17 W5WAC0sTerS

W5WAC0sTerS

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:01 PM

what if you try magnets of somesort. Would those fit?

#18 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:46 PM

Not that newbie status really matters anyway. Continue to build funky, cool rides like this and you'll be fitting in with this crowd nicely. :D

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#19 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:16 PM

It depends on the region you live in but you'll commonly see Dutchies use (drained or dead) batteries under the trains while Americans use quarters and pennies under the trains.

Posted Image

#20 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:41 PM

Congrats! That's a really impressive build you've got there.
If this is one of your first coasters, then it seems you have good attention to detail, and a natural ability with K'NEX - so I can't wait to see what you'll produce in the future!

Posted Image