circular comma lambchopz wheel woah

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:54 PM

Hopefully I didn't make it too hard to guess what it may be....

#droptower

So I've been working on this in small chunks since mid-May, and only now am I up to the point where I feel confident to post it. The building itself is entirely finished and has been for over a month now, so I'll post a bit more in the coming days once I fix the power issue I've been facing for the past few weeks. There may be questions about things you find in the photo, but I promise all will be made clear in the coming days when more is posted.

Posted Image

Edited by LaMbChOpZ, 20 August 2015 - 08:51 PM.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#2 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

So many wheels, so little time. I can see lots of detail so I know it'll be good.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#3 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:23 PM

Well, it's finished!

SOLAR WHEEL - A K'Nex Ferris Wheel / Roller Wheel - SSCoasters Rides Database

Spoiler

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#4 Zorn

Zorn

I build stuff

• 1108 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:35 PM

The moving carriages add a bit of uniqueness, I like it.

Check me out

Youtube

#5 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:38 PM

There's a lot of little details that make this thing really cool. It looks very nicely finished. :D

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#6 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:25 PM

Very nice job, sir. Very, very nice.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#7 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:57 PM

The moving carriages add a bit of uniqueness, I like it.

Thank you. I was trying to get away from the generic Ferris Wheel. I couldn't make it a record-breaking size, so this sufficed. I could not recall any other models that feature moving carriages yet (if I am wrong, I would love to see how the model(s) made the carriages move).

There's a lot of little details that make this thing really cool. It looks very nicely finished. :D

Hahahaha, I've been told before on so many occasions - building and in other aspects of life. For example, I've been told this with the scores I orchestrate, adding slight nuances and rhythms that are so subtle but so important, and etc. If you see my first model, "Orange Rush", I went overboard with that one, which was also for Summer Heat. :P

Very nice job, sir. Very, very nice.

I cannot tell you how great this made me feel. In a very dark time of my life, hearing something so simple but encouraging from someone like you overwhelms me right now - thank you.

Oh, I forgot to mention this too in the ride description, but I actually used up every single white rod I possess (the wheel frame took up hundreds of white rods). But you might notice that the exterior of the ring has brown ladder connectors instead of orange. Well first, I ran out of the single grey connectors that hold the wheel frame together, so I used the ladders spread throughout (which also help add traction for the wheels). But, by doing that, I also ran out those orange ladder connectors filling in the gaps left by my lack of single grey connectors. Even cooler is that putting that outer ring of brown ladder connectors with yellow half-moons adds more support to the wheel, allows me to add a second set of supports to the spokes of the wheel (vital for the moving carriages so the track stays straight), but that outer ring also provides a very smooth surface for the lateral guide wheels in the station. Just though that would be interesting to share.

Edited by LaMbChOpZ, 30 August 2015 - 11:07 PM.

#8 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:02 AM

This is fantastic - looks very nice and it's something never before built with k'nex!
I was actually considering recreating the Coney Island Ferris wheel since nothing like it had been done but it has now :P

#9 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:28 AM

Fantastic! Great model.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#10 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

Absolutely wonderful work here Lambchopz! I remember you always took the time to emphasize on detail in your rides and this sure has just that! The moving part of the ferris wheel makes this an incredibly unique build! Very great work, I see you taking me vote! ;)

Posted Image

#11 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:47 PM

This is fantastic - looks very nice and it's something never before built with k'nex!
I was actually considering recreating the Coney Island Ferris wheel since nothing like it had been done but it has now :P

Fantastic! Great model.

Absolutely wonderful work here Lambchopz! I remember you always took the time to emphasize on detail in your rides and this sure has just that! The moving part of the ferris wheel makes this an incredibly unique build! Very great work, I see you taking me vote! ;)

Thank you, guys. I'm really blown away by your responses. I knew the model was good, but not this good!

#12 Connector1o1

Connector1o1

Basic Engineer

• 1236 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:05 AM

It's such a clean looking model. I am quite impressed with all the detail you put into it, I really like the movement of the inner carriage. It would be fun to ride, but the problem is I am scared to death of them...

Signature not available 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: circular, comma, lambchopz, wheel, woah