Simple Zero G K'nex Micro coaster

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:28 PM

I am trying to make a super compact K'nex Micro that has a zero G roll.

Attached Files

#2 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:56 PM

It ended up becoming more of a barrel roll, but does anyone know how to make it smoother?

Attached Files

#3 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:38 PM

I know how to make it smoother, I wouldn't recommend using a spine on an early coaster, just adapt into it. Do you have any long track? That's easier to make a spine with for me. Otherwise, Great coaster!

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#4 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:33 PM

I use the Atomic coaster because it comes with a lot of track so I do have enough, I was going to use the spine just to see what it's like. I will try that, I just thought this might make it smoother, thanks for helping! 

#5 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:32 PM

It works now! I'll post a video of it later but here are a few pictures!

Attached Files

#6 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:54 AM

That's quite a nice little coaster for such a small amount of parts! Can you show us an overview of the layout?

The shaping of the zero-G could do with a bit of work, by raising it at the top, but it's quite hard to achieve good shaping without using a spine.  Humble beginnings for someone with potential I think!

Is this your first custom coaster? If it is, then well done - some of our members struggle to have the commitment to build smaller, more achievable builds like this! 

Posted Image

#7 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:16 PM

Great little coaster! Most of your supports look very sturdy, the only ones that seem questionable are the ones on the left of the third picture. How much does the track shake when the train is going over?

#8 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:56 PM

Great job, especially for a beginner! I don't think I could get Micro K'nex track to have as smooth of a barrel roll as you did. Looking forward to the video. And, like Batwing said, an overview would be nice.

#9 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:37 PM

This is my second coaster, I'm posting a video of it that has the overview: https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

#10 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:39 PM

The barrel roll is actually the sturdiest part, I just got a bad picture of it. The shakiest part is the banked turn at the beginning, but I don't know if I have enough pieces to fix it.

#11 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:46 PM

I'm going to tray to add a helix at the end, it looks like it has enough speed.

#12 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 04:31 PM

I think it would've had enough speed but I don't have enough pieces to make the helix.

#13 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:11 PM

Pretty good effort actually. I like how you've done something small and within your capabilities rather than trying to overstretch yourself. I also like that you seem to have the basics down as well. The shaping isn't bad and the coaster barely shakes. Speed loss is a thing that will likely improve in the future as you improve but you've worked with it for now. Just remember you can hit the edit button so you don't post 4 times in a row a lot. But at least you were kinda updating us on what you were doing. Just keep going with it and keep building. :D

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#14 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:09 PM

I like how you've done something small and within your capabilities rather than trying to overstretch yourself.

Yes. I'm glad you didn't use up all your pieces on the lift. You built within your capabilities.

It's not a bad model at all. Welcome to SSC.

#15 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:15 PM

I think I'm going to start working on another one, first I'll put it in the model database.

#16 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:28 PM

I wanted to post it to the model data base but it says I don't have permission.

Edited by KirbyCoast, 24 October 2015 - 06:17 PM.

#17 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:45 PM

Ummmm.... Why don't you just edit a post instead of post over and over again. It really annoys the community.

EDIT: I'm sorry about that, I wasn't trying to be mean. Please forgive me. Good point as well, I remember double posting and bumping. I guess we all do the same things.

Edited by Spaghetti, 24 October 2015 - 01:10 PM.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#18 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:47 AM

^ Ummmm.... Why don't you just be a little bit nicer to a new member who hasn't figured out how the site works?

What are you having trouble with, Kirby?

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#19 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:55 PM

^ Ummmm.... Why don't you just be a little bit nicer to a new member who hasn't figured out how the site works?

What are you having trouble with, Kirby?

I couldn't post to the coaster database.

#20 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:57 PM

^ Click on the "Models Database" tab in the menu bar below the logo, then select which it'll be going in (in your case, roller coasters), and then click the yellow "Add Model" but near the top right.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300