Vortex recreation (Carowinds)

vortex carowinds spaghetti b&m stand up ibetternotcancel

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:19 PM

Well, here I am again. I might as well say that I'm not doing the WCC while I'm here unless it miraculously fits with the standards. I am doing a recreation of Vortex at Carowinds in VV. I will be using the BBaller spine for this. Wanting to do a stand up recreation was a big idea in my head for a while, and I really wanted to do a Georgia scorcher recreation, but I didn't have any yellow turn pieces. I would say that I am improving as a builder, because I'm not focusing on a station first! Anyway, here are some pictures.

Attached File  image.jpeg   134.25KB   2 downloads

I'm using these trains, they are short because the vortex trains are also short. They are not lubed and there is only a weight in the first car.

Attached File  image.jpeg   147.84KB   1 downloads

Are these footers any good?

Attached File  image.jpeg   136.23KB   1 downloads

Here is the gearbox, it's actually quite complicated.

Attached File  image.jpeg   189.31KB   1 downloads

Here is the actual coaster, I'm trying make it look like the actual thing.

Attached File  image.jpeg   134.39KB   1 downloads

And here is a side view. You can see that it is not like the actual vortex, because on vortex, the lift is flatter. I guess I have to deal with it.

Thank you for viewing, I have no reason to cancel, and comment!

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#2 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:06 PM

That lift looks great! I've never been to carrowinds, but I really like the lift! Is vortex at carrowinds the one that is similar to vortex at Great America CA?

Edited by KirbyCoast, 22 November 2015 - 10:06 PM.

#3 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:45 AM

nice beginning spaghetti :)

I guess if you keep on building like this your recreation will be pretty nice!

#4 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:10 PM

What you have is good, but if you'd like it to be better, then I have a suggestion. You don't have to do anything I'm about to tell you, although I do recommend it -- especially if you are trying to make it proportional. The supports for the lift are extremely narrow. Even the real Vortex supports are a bit more relaxed. Also, the angle of the lift shouldn't be 45*, it should be less than that. You would have to change some things around, but it would make it easier to get the rest of the ride to look right. It should allow things to more easily "fall into place". 

http://themeparksush...07/Vortex-1.jpg

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#5 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

• 786 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:06 PM

Update time! But first, here are some replies.

That lift looks great! I've never been to carrowinds, but I really like the lift! Is vortex at carrowinds the one that is similar to vortex at Great America CA?

It is quite similar, but not the same layout.

I guess if you keep on building like this your recreation will be pretty nice![/quote]

What you have is good, but if you'd like it to be better, then I have a suggestion. You don't have to do anything I'm about to tell you, although I do recommend it -- especially if you are trying to make it proportional. The supports for the lift are extremely narrow. Even the real Vortex supports are a bit more relaxed. Also, the angle of the lift shouldn't be 45*, it should be less than that. You would have to change some things around, but it would make it easier to get the rest of the ride to look right. It should allow things to more easily "fall into place".
http://themeparksush...07/Vortex-1.jpg
Thanks SCM! With out your comment, I would've just kept it. It got really shaky, and I couldn't stand it, and I had no Idea what to do. After reading your comment, I redid everything and it looks way more realistic now!

Alright, here is the actual update. I gutted the lift, and redid everything. The main two things I focused on are a strong gearbox, and making it look realistic, and I nailed both things! Here are my pictures. :)

Attached File  image.jpeg   223.91KB   0 downloads
Attached File  image.jpeg   247.92KB   0 downloads
Attached File  image.jpeg   243.86KB   0 downloads
Attached File  image.jpeg   219.83KB   0 downloads
Sorry about the sideways pics, I need to figure that out.

Please comment!

EDIT: Sorry GER Seano for not replying, it did some funky glitch. Thank you for commenting!

Edited by Spaghetti, 24 November 2015 - 05:08 PM.

#6 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:49 PM

That looks really good! You should build a catwalk on the side. One question though, when you have that kind of lift hill how do you put the gear at the top?

#7 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:10 PM

hahaha no problem:D but what why are there 2 VV tracks on the lift hill  >_< ?

#8 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:26 PM

Nice work noodles! This looks like a really solid build so far, and I really like that gearbox.

Just remember that whilst your supports may be sturdy, it's the track-support connections which will really determine the strength of the track, and then its speed efficiency - so make sure you use multiple individual connections.  Anyway, looks great!

Oh, and what happened to that spinning coaster you were building? :P

Posted Image

#9 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

• 786 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:23 PM

That looks really good! You should build a catwalk on the side. One question though, when you have that kind of lift hill how do you put the gear at the top?

Thank you! I am going to put catwalks on when I am done with the track work. Well, using tubes, that would be hard, but I'm switching to boxes, so it it easy and more sturdy!

hahaha no problem:D but what why are there 2 VV tracks on the lift hill >_< ?

There are two tracks on the side so it is more stronger, and easier to make a custom angle.

Nice work noodles! This looks like a really solid build so far, and I really like that gearbox.
Just remember that whilst your supports may be sturdy, it's the track-support connections which will really determine the strength of the track, and then its speed efficiency - so make sure you use multiple individual connections. Anyway, looks great!

Oh, and what happened to that spinning coaster you were building? :P

That lousy thing? I completed it, but I didn't use a spine or tubes, so it looked really cruddy.

(Update number 2.5)I have been working like a busy bee since yesterday, but I fell across a problem. Being the tube noob I am, I found it really hard to make stable TTS supports. Looking upon SSC for help, I couldn't find anything, so I just decided to switch to boxes on the lift for more stability. I guess it's a fair trade off. Also, I am halfway done with the lift, I plan on making it 4 oranges high. Here is one picture for now, being just a small update.

Attached File  image.jpeg   242.8KB   1 downloads
Sorry for the poor lighting, it gets dark here at 4:00.

As usual, comment!

EDIT: OH MY GOD IS THIS PICTURE REALLY SIDEWAYS, I THOUGHT I FIGURED IT OUT BY NOW.

Edited by Spaghetti, 25 November 2015 - 07:25 PM.

#10 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

• 786 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:16 PM

Yay... Another post to make you guys hate me. After thanksgiving dinner, my mom surprised us and said that we were going to have our grandparents over the whole month of December. She said that we need to clean up the entire house, and that I need to clean up all my Knex. She told me that vortex had to go down, since I'm sleeping in that space. She also said that I can keep something up, as long as it's not as big as vortex. So, I was practically forced to go custom or take everything down. I will recreate vortex later, but for now, it's not my first priority. Sorry about the news.

-Noodles

#11 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:08 PM

ohh man I was really interested in this but family has priority :) If It's not to big for ya mam my suggestion would be to go custom compact.

Whatever you'll do go on with all your passion. I guess that it'll be a nice coaster!!!

-GKC

#12 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 01:42 PM

Really? Your mom wouldn't let you put it against the wall or anything? Gosh, that must be frustrating. 

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#13 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:26 PM

What part of it is too big? Because you could make part of it like vortex and part of it custom, and then when you have enough room you change it into a full vortex recreation.

#14 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:35 AM

If I were you I'd build it sections then assemble it at the end (my mum lets me do that :P)

#15 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

• 786 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:15 PM

Really? Your mom wouldn't let you put it against the wall or anything? Gosh, that must be frustrating.

It is really frustrating, but family comes first. I wanted her to let me put it against a wall, but the house needs to be as clean as possible apparently.

What part of it is too big? Because you could make part of it like vortex and part of it custom, and then when you have enough room you change it into a full vortex recreation

That is a great Idea! However, I'm not gonna be able to do it because I'm waiting for the WC to do something now.

If I were you I'd build it sections then assemble it at the end (my mum lets me do that :P)

It is a good Idea, but it would be rather hard in VV, because of connecting the spines and track and all. If it was SS, I would do it. Thank you for replying though!

ohh man I was really interested in this but family has priority :) If It's not to big for ya mam my suggestion would be to go custom compact.
Whatever you'll do go on with all your passion. I guess that it'll be a nice coaster!!!

-GKC

Thank you for being so interested. Custom and compact sounds like a good Idea. Fits with the grid idea of the winter contest.

Edited by Spaghetti, 28 November 2015 - 02:16 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vortex, carowinds, spaghetti, b&m, stand up, ibetternotcancel