Snowdrift - A K'nex Vertical Lift Coaster

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#21 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:01 PM

The layout and shaping looks amazing! As for the gopro, I got the Hero 4 Session for Christmas and it's pretty good. It's $200 and it's pretty small, it's decent quality and does 1440p 30fps, 1080p 60fps, and 720 100fps. I'm not sure how you put a gopro on the car, but it's pretty light and small. http://shop.gopro.co...CHDHS-101.html

Thank you so much! Thanks for the advice on the gopro too! I'll definitely look into that.

#22 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:54 AM

I like this coaster a lot its very compact and packs a lot of inversions into it. The photos are a little bit blurry so try taking a couple of the same shot to find the pest photo of it for the update.

Edited by IOAgeek, 03 January 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#23 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

This may be shocking (completely sarcastic) but I fell on my roller coaster a few days ago, and I can't really get the shaping back to the way it was. Not only that, but my school books fell off the end of my bed and broke part of the cobra roll. So I am going to take it down. :( hopefully my next project works out a little better than this one.

#24 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:10 PM

oh man, I was really looking forward to this. did you get any footage of the coaster? if so, could you post it?

How do I upload a picture here omgg.

#25 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:36 PM

oh man, I was really looking forward to this. did you get any footage of the coaster? if so, could you post it?

I didn't get any footage because I couldn't get ahold of any surgical tubing, so the cars never actually made it through the layout. :( I hope to use the same base, maybe even make it smaller so that I still have another compact coaster for my next one.

Edited by WSWAoasters, 06 January 2016 - 08:36 PM.

#26 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:59 PM

Maybe you could draw the layout and keep it for later? I've always been scared that I would do that to my own coaster, and school books are super heavy. That's sad that you had to take it down, but I guess building this still helped you get better at shaping and everything.

#27 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

Maybe you could draw the layout and keep it for later? I've always been scared that I would do that to my own coaster, and school books are super heavy. That's sad that you had to take it down, but I guess building this still helped you get better at shaping and everything.

I will absolutely draw the layout for this one, and hopefully revisit it soon. I completely agree about the shaping, however, I still need to work on supports.

#28 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:19 PM

This has actually happened to me before, so I understand your pain.

I tend to fall over a lot in general :P

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#29 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:26 PM

This has actually happened to me before, so I understand your pain.

I tend to fall over a lot in general :P

Hahaha I got close many, many times. This time I couldn't catch myself and I fell right on top of it.

#30 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:07 PM

on a scale of one to "im screaming me head off, help", how bad did this hurt? ( to know how bad I need to avoid tripping in my own room)

#31 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:42 PM

Like maybe a 2 or 3. I was more worried about the coaster than myself.

#32 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:14 PM

After I smashed my last coaster, took the rest down, and cleaned everything up a little bit, I immediately got back to work, and started this:

image3_zpsispozzak.jpg

image5_zpsnr9e58lz.jpg

image4_zpslcvj1h3q.jpg

image2_zpshddnumu4.jpg

image1_zpsflththsm.jpg

That's all I have for now, I'll try to get the elevator lift working, and then I hope to make another update. Until then, have a fantastic day!

#33 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:14 PM

ah yes! an elevator lift coaster. I tried one of these a while ago, and I used micro chain just like you, and it worked pretty good, until my sis destroyed it. anyways, good luck.

#34 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:59 PM

What you've got so far looks nice, smooth and regular! A really clean and good-looking build for sure, and I'm excited to see where it goes next.

Just make sure you use counterweights to maintain that chain tension. I'm sure you can do it ;)

Posted Image

#35 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:07 PM

What you've got so far looks nice, smooth and regular! A really clean and good-looking build for sure, and I'm excited to see where it goes next.

Just make sure you use counterweights to maintain that chain tension. I'm sure you can do it ;)

Somehow, counter weights completely slipped my mind! It's a really good thing you said something! Thank you for both reminding me, and for the kind words!

#36 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:12 PM

ah yes! an elevator lift coaster. I tried one of these a while ago, and I used micro chain just like you, and it worked pretty good, until my sis destroyed it. anyways, good luck.

Thanks! I have been having some problems with the micro chain, but I think I can get it to work. I am very sorry to here about your coaster that was destroyed.

#37 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:17 PM

I know I said I would make another update when I got the lift working, but I have to order some pieces before I can finish it. Because of that, I am going to make an update for the layout instead. 

Here is just an overall look at it

image4_zpsckcqtxrw.jpg

Here is another look at it

image3_zpsez5pmcym.jpg

Here is a look at the off-set loop

image2_zpssffc2d0m.jpg

And here is the station (sorry it is such a bad picture)

image1_zps2qont4hq.jpg

Thats about it, when I get the lift working I will make another video update. If you notice any problems please let me know.

Edited by WSWAoasters, 10 January 2016 - 02:19 PM.

#38 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:03 PM

the shaping looks a little messy right before the launcher, but otherwise it looks good.

#39 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:56 PM

^ I was gonna say that, but unless you were going for that. also I like how you hid that booster ;)

#40 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:58 PM

the shaping looks a little messy right before the launcher, but otherwise it looks good.

Thanks! I agree, I really need to work on that messy area.