Snowdrift - A K'nex Vertical Lift Coaster

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#81 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:43 PM

That's a really cool picture. I almost like it just how it is, but since it's a winter coaster you should probably put some theming. Also the image quality is so much better lol.

#82 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:54 PM

I found out they are called 3D connectors, I really don't know why they made them, they aren't that useful. Anyways, I just got an email from them today and they said I can keep them and they will send the right pieces this time. It did not say how long it will take unfortunately.

Those orange pieces are incredibly useful! I can't have enough of them! They add so much rigidity to my builds, I wouldn't want to imagine having to build without them!

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#83 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:10 AM

The layout you've got there looks beautiful, with a great diversity of elements. I think the lift actually looks quite stylish!

Anyway, about that...elevator lifts can be tough. So here few tips to get it working:

- Using two motors seems like a bit of a faff to me. Ideally, you want your model to be smooth and easy to operate, so I'd recommend using just one - but positioned differently. Use a series of cogs to connect the two drive shafts for each chain, then put the motor right in the middle. If I was you, I'd do this at the top of the lift on the side closest to the station, as it seems like it's a bit of a stretch for you right now!

- You don't necessarily need a mechanism on the track to move the train off the lift - you could just use gravity! If you angle the lift on ascent then all you'll need is an anti-rollback, which the train will simply slide off of at the top once the back half of the track pivots around above the front of the track, which you'll need to stop from going any further up the lift.

Hope that's helpful (and makes sense)!

PS: This might help: http://www.sscoaster.../snowflake-r739

Oh, and remember counterweights. Gotta have counterweights ;)

Edited by Batwing, 29 February 2016 - 03:26 AM.

Posted Image

#84 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:42 PM

That's a really cool picture. I almost like it just how it is, but since it's a winter coaster you should probably put some theming. Also the image quality is so much better lol.

Thanks!

Those orange pieces are incredibly useful! I can't have enough of them! They add so much rigidity to my builds, I wouldn't want to imagine having to build without them!

I know, I was very upset when I wrote that; they are especially useful when you are making a wooden coaster, however, I don't usually make them. I should have given them to you!

The layout you've got there looks beautiful, with a great diversity of elements. I think the lift actually looks quite stylish!

Anyway, about that...elevator lifts can be tough. So here few tips to get it working:

- Using two motors seems like a bit of a faff to me. Ideally, you want your model to be smooth and easy to operate, so I'd recommend using just one - but positioned differently. Use a series of cogs to connect the two drive shafts for each chain, then put the motor right in the middle. If I was you, I'd do this at the top of the lift on the side closest to the station, as it seems like it's a bit of a stretch for you right now!

- You don't necessarily need a mechanism on the track to move the train off the lift - you could just use gravity! If you angle the lift on ascent then all you'll need is an anti-rollback, which the train will simply slide off of at the top once the back half of the track pivots around above the front of the track, which you'll need to stop from going any further up the lift.

Hope that's helpful (and makes sense)!

PS: This might help: http://www.sscoaster.../snowflake-r739

Oh, and remember counterweights. Gotta have counterweights ;)

Wow! This is extremely helpful! I think I was able to get pretty much get the whole coaster to work with this! Thank you so much for this! 

Well, I added some snow to it. The problem is I didn't get nearly enough. I have a few pictures of it here, but like I said, I still need a LOT more.

WInter%20Coaster%20-%20Snow%20Zero%20G%2

Winter%20Coaster%20-%20Snow%20Zero%20G%2

Winter%20Coaster%20-%20Snow%20Zero%20G%2

That's it for now. I should have one more update when everything is completely finished. Until then, feel free to comment!

Edited by WSWAoasters, 01 March 2016 - 05:44 PM.

#85 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:48 PM

Alright! I finally got some more snow. I would like to warn everybody now; it is kind of a mess right now. Also, some of these pictures are kind of blurry. Now that that's out of the way, Let's look at some pictures!

DSCN0912_zpslx1mmnyc.jpg

DSCN0913_zpsldmm3826.jpg

DSCN0911_zpsorrws0sd.jpg

DSCN0914_zps0advkxs5.jpg

DSCN0915_zpsyqsin3d0.jpg

That's really all I have. I will have one more update probably before I start filming would be my guess. If you have any recommendations, let me know! 

Edited by WSWAoasters, 12 March 2016 - 10:49 PM.

#86 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:04 PM

I think you should cover up the sides of the base with snow. it looks weird like that for some reason. also, maybe put some snow on top of the loop? besides that, shaping looks flawless, and I just can't keep my eyes off of that helix!

the tubing is escaping on the helix in the third picture!

Edited by knex.koasters, 12 March 2016 - 11:07 PM.

How do I upload a picture here omgg.

#87 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:24 AM

I really like it. I agree that the entire base should be covered.

I wish parks would still make small loopers like this. Can pack in a lot of fun in a small space, but I guess they don't create enough publicity.

#88 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:11 PM

I think you should cover up the sides of the base with snow. it looks weird like that for some reason. also, maybe put some snow on top of the loop? besides that, shaping looks flawless, and I just can't keep my eyes off of that helix!

the tubing is escaping on the helix in the third picture!

Thanks for suggusting covering the bottom of the platform! I was unable to place the snow on top of the loop because I didn't have enough snow. I was able to fix the escaping tubing too! Thanks fo pointing those things out!

I really like it. I agree that the entire base should be covered.

I wish parks would still make small loopers like this. Can pack in a lot of fun in a small space, but I guess they don't create enough publicity.

Thanks!

I am about to start filming which means I will probably have the video done by tonight! Thank you everyone for helping me with this coaster! I'm sure it wouldn't be nearly as good as it is without your help!

#89 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 06:38 PM

Nice picture quality ;). This thing looks epic with the fake snow. I really love how everything is scaled and looks so neatly put together. I think you really have nailed this ride. :D

Edited by CW5X, 19 March 2016 - 06:39 PM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#90 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:49 AM

Very cool coaster!!Love the lift and the layout.  Track work looks great too.  Those little orange connectors are great.  It took me a long time to find some.  I bought 50 and wish I bought 100.  The are really useful when you need to work in all 3 planes, normal 3Ds only have connectors in 2 planes.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#91 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:03 PM

So, I am not even close to being done with the video; in fact, I won't even be able to work on it for at least another week. I thought I would just let everyone know what the hell happened. I am still laughing at the fact that I thought I would have it done in the same day! It has been what a month now? And I only have like a minute or two of footage. Anyways, thanks for your patients, everyone!

Edited by WSWAoasters, 12 April 2016 - 01:27 PM.

#92 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:21 PM

I'd rather wait for a quality video than have something thrown together!

#93 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:50 PM

I'd rather wait for a quality video than have something thrown together!

I certainly hope that it ends up being a quality video!

Quick update: I have about 1 week left of school, which means that I will be able to finally start filming again! I'm really sorry about how long this has taken me. When I'm finished with school, I'll have nothing but time!

#94 dylpickled

dylpickled

Construction Foreman

• 215 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:12 PM

I forgot about this! Do you have a song already?

How do I upload a picture here omgg.

#95 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:25 PM

I forgot about this! Do you have a song already?

Yeah, I'm using Pink Rabbits by the National. I have already started the video, I just haven't done much with it, because I got behind in school and got worried I wouldn't have enough time to finish, so I have kind of put it on the back burner for now.

#96 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:40 AM

I love this coaster from the layout, the elevator lift like on Cobras Curse  :P  , and the theming!  Was this going to be like your winter coaster last year or something?

#97 GravitySnake

GravitySnake

Construction Worker

• 124 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:46 AM

Not been here for a while, so WHOA. Always wanted to build an elevator lift, and I have a few ideas, but this is something else.

I still have three weeks of school left, but there are some plans for an IVL ...

I love this coaster from the layout, the elevator lift like on Cobras Curse  :P  , and the theming!  Was this going to be like your winter coaster last year or something?

Speaking of which ... I was going to suggest that you recreate Cobra's Curse! (Great minds think alike, but due to the law of averages ...) If the fancy-shmancy shenanigans of the dual lift are too much, then you should just go for the single lift.

Do you accept the challenge?

Yes                                     No

Edited by GravitySnake, 22 May 2016 - 11:00 AM.

#98 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:51 PM

Thanks! Haha, yeah. After I tripped on the other winter looper, I decided to make this one. Then I had to order some pieces but they sent the wrong ones so they had to send the right ones it took close to a month for each. Anyways, I'm now thinking maybe it can be a christmas in July coaster!

Not been here for a while, so WHOA. Always wanted to build an elevator lift, and I have a few ideas, but this is something else.

I still have three weeks of school left, but there are some plans for an IVL ...

Speaking of which ... I was going to suggest that you recreate Cobra's Curse! (Great minds think alike, but due to the law of averages ...) If the fancy-shmancy shenanigans of the dual lift are too much, then you should just go for the single lift.

Do you accept the challenge?

Yes                                     No

Hell yes, I accept! Porbably not the next coaster, but I will give it a whirl sometime this summer for sure!

#99 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:56 AM

Finally, I'm done with school! I will be kind of busy for a little while, but hopefully I will have the final video out sometime this week?

#100 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:32 AM

Welp, merry Christmas in July everyone! As I'm sure most of you knew, this was going to be a winter coaster but it wasn't finished until almost June. So my options were wait until next winter, or have a Christmas in July coaster. Because I didn't want to wait so long, I chose the latter of the two. Anywyas, thanks you everyone who helped make this coaster what it is! Enjoy!

BTW, the band is The National, not The Naional. I didn't notice it until just now, and i'm pretty sure I don't have the video on any computer in my house, which is why I havn't fixed it. 

Edited by WSWAoasters, 25 July 2016 - 09:37 AM.