bad coaster guy wing roller b&m failure fail

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BadCoasterGuy

BadCoasterGuy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

I have built a small b&m wing coaster and it will not come close to completing the circuit. Please look at my photo album Bad Wing Coaster to see images. If you are a good coaster builder please help me. Thank you.

#2 Jebuk201

Jebuk201

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

Well the first thing that I see you can improve is the supports. The structure of the supports seem uneven. Also, it seems like the structure would shake a lot when the car goes down the track.  You should make them more even and balanced. Adding more of the yellow crossties would help. Look at high rated models and see how their structures and supports are built, and don't forget to see how their track shaping is smooth and flows evenly. Your track shaping could use improvement by making them a lot smoother and more even. You may also want to oil your cars wheels with DW-40 or silicone lubricant, making them go faster and eliminating some friction. With what I said so far, you should try having two cars in your train instead of one, because by having two cars the train has more momentum to make it through the barrel roll. However, make sure to get the supports sturdy enough to be able to support a two car train, because the less sturdy the supports are, the more the train loses momentum. Good Luck!

Edited by Jebuk201, 15 October 2017 - 01:15 PM.

#3 OddlyCreative

OddlyCreative

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:50 PM

Firstly, I totally agree with jebuk201 about you needing for supports. Take a look at "Oracle" by Jumpgee, for example. Take note on how literally all the track has boxes under it rather than just a single K'nex rod. I would also try to make your turns as wide as possible because that will help preserve speed.

Another thing I would recommend is buying more K'nex pieces and/or scaling down the size of your coaster. Just because a coaster is taller doesn't mean that it is better. I promise you that you will get more satisfaction out of building a high-quality roller coaster than a tall one. I would probaly recommend 1 or 2 screaming serpents more if you can afford it (remember the holidays are coming soon). Have patience when buying parts online (eBay is one of the best places to get parts). I just missed out on a "Buy it Now" for 1900 sorted pieces at $23 w/ free shipping.

After you finish this roller coaster I would recommend next building a wooden-style roller coaster. These are great for beginners because it's hard not to support your coaster well. I would restrict yourself to a small height so your forced to preserve speed and not spead your supports to thinly.

Good Luck!

Edited by OddlyCreative, 17 October 2017 - 10:51 PM.