Found trough track to make possible flying turns coaster??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 I Love Ball Machines

I Love Ball Machines

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

d_circuit.jpgI found this Japanese rc model car track.  It looks like it would make a perfect flying turns coaster trough track!! https://www.ebay.com...k-/111544978821

#2 X7123M3-256

X7123M3-256

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:41 AM

Something similar was attempted once before.

#3 I Love Ball Machines

I Love Ball Machines

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

I think that this plastic track system would work much better.

#4 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:30 PM

Well, the concave shape means that the track can't be shaped without distorting it. You would be limited to the track shapes and sizes that they have. Also, from what I can tell, they're really rare. If that's the case, getting enough track for a full length coaster would be too expensive. Even with Jogumpie's piece-eating track, the amount of pieces would still be cheaper than the plastic track... plus his track allowed for customization. Double also, there's the talk about friction. How big is the track? How smooth? A heavier train will, as usual, have a better chance at completing a layout. 

Although, something similar to this but with the ability to customize would make for a decent flying turns coaster. 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#5 I Love Ball Machines

I Love Ball Machines

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:15 PM

You know of any other toy that has a bobsled like track, that is not super rare and cheaper to buy?  Could you use PVC pipe pieces, cut like a bobsled track and joined with connectors?

#6 I Love Ball Machines

I Love Ball Machines

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

Would buying pvc pipe and 90 degree elbows in 12 inch diameter make a good track?  After you cut the pipe in half?  Then use fittings?

#7 X7123M3-256

X7123M3-256

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:22 AM

You could probably form the track by carefully heating plastic pipe and bending to shape (but I'd be careful doing that with PVC - it releases nasty fumes when heated). I think that would work.

But I think the simplest approach is what Jogumpie did - lay down strips of paper (or plastic if you want to improve efficiency) on top of a Knex frame. He used an absurd number of pieces and designed a very inefficient train, but I think you could scale it down and make it work better.