Rogue Recon: A Star Wars Coaster

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#101 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:22 PM

(shocked) That's the best lava I've ever seen! Having the lights to make it look like actual glowing lava is a genius idea! I realize that's been done a few times before, but just for the top of the volcano, not the lava running down the sides. 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#102 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:25 AM

^Thanks! Glad to see you liked it.

Happy Star Wars Day! I am (hopefully) done hot gluing paper now, as I have completed Ahch-To, the Luke Skywalker island from The Last Jedi.

#103 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 03:00 PM

Update 40 just so happens to be on May (the) 4th (be with you). I've been saving this post until PM. The amount of detail you're putting into this is impressive to say the least. This post has 4 sentences and the 5 (May) will make fifth 4

• Chaos likes this

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#104 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:26 PM

This week I did some experimental theming. In an effort to cover as many supports as possible, I added this lace material around crumpled paper to create a sort of billowing smoke look coming from the volcano. And I added the Millennium Falcon.

#105 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:37 PM

The station and queue line is complete (except for all the Lego people I want to add to the line later).

#106 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:33 AM

Update 42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything. ;) I just love love love this! So inspiring! This has to be the best queue line I've ever seen - not to mention the corner pieces as railings. If I went into detail on how much I love this, it would be like the scrolling yellow text in the beginning of the films. 

Quick question - how did you get so many black X-ties? 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#107 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:42 PM

^Thanks! And ebay had a lot of black cross ties for sale. I may have bought them all.

Had some fun with LED lights this week. Also added a couple more iconic Star Wars figures.

#108 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 06:54 PM

This thing is a beast!  The lava looks really good.  Your theming is next level, as usual.  

Posted Image

#109 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:22 AM

Homina homina homina... 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#110 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:42 PM

Thanks! I have finally completed all the major theming elements!

Still have a little ways to go. Have to record the voice overs and get the speakers going, as well as some minor touch-ups and fixing the elevator.

#111 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:53 AM

With every update you make, I'm left wondering more and more why I don't use non-knex things for themeing. This just looks so good. Wait a minute - 1:13 - why does Luke still have his right hand? 

Edited by SCM, 17 June 2019 - 09:53 AM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#112 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:21 PM

I've filmed a very rough POV. Check it out!

• JohnnyR24 likes this

#113 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:49 AM

My first suggestion would be to either mute the sound of the coaster or, if you want the sound, to not use cuts. The sharp clicking sound every time there's a cut is caused by the audio waveform having to jump from one amplitude to another, caused by a sudden change in phase. However, there is a way around this: if possible, have the audio quickly fade out at the end of one clip and quickly fade in at the start of the next clip. (I could help with the audio problem if you want.) 

My second suggestion is to have some lighting in the elevator lift (if possible), since those things look really cool in POVs. 

Other than that, it looks pretty good (as a rough POV). 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#114 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:34 AM

I agree lights in the elevator would be sweet - even if it was one or two of those button cell LED lights (something like this: https://www.amazon.c...=gateway&sr=8-6 )

#115 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 11:04 PM

Can't believe I haven't posted in 6 months! But I've been slowly working on this. Jonnie is helping build/3d print a GoPro K'nex car for a much better POV, and I do plan on adding blue lights to the inside of the elevator (so it looks like water!).

For this update, though, it's all about the small but very meaningful improvements. Having all my Lego EV3's powered by electricity is saving me tons of time and batteries. Also, I discovered that Hobby Lobby sells magnets that fit perfectly onto the ends of tubing. This is incredible because they are just strong enough to connect to each other when they are close, but weak enough that it's easy for a motor to pull the track away. This has dramatically improved my elevator's reliability.

#116 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 04:04 AM

Nice! 
This is the sort of stuff we don't see on SSC, and never have.. Building a model, and then spending the time nailing it and perfecting the vision. 
How's the track work keeping? I suppose it doesn't warp much if it doesn't run constantly?

#117 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:14 PM

The track work keeps fine! It's the launch and the elevator that take turns getting bent out of shape. This week, it was the launch's turn!

#118 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:19 AM

Truly a scientific effort. 
I am excited for the last bits of themeing! 

#119 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 01:11 PM

Trying to make one final big effort to completely finish this coaster.

I've made a lot of minor adjustments to make the launch more reliable, most of which are detailed in the video. I have also added more lights and begun to add the speakers to the coaster as my uncle does the voiceovers.

• BGTKing likes this

#120 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 12:41 PM

We are actually reaching the end. For real this time!

Added the final changes and sensors to the EV3, as well as put some more theming back up on the elevator. Other than than, enjoy watching the coaster complete its most reliable 4-train cycles ever!