darien lake recreation

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 megabuster9000

megabuster9000

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:24 PM

Hi, I am new to the community here but I have been building rollercoasters for many years. They were all micro style coasters as that was what I had. But recently I have been collecting SS and RR sets because a club on my campus wanted to build a rollercoaster so we are making a recreation of Viper from Darien Lake. It is one of my favorite rollercoasters and is a very good arrow dynamics ride. I have only spent a few days making this but it is coming along well. Any suggestions would be welcome as this is the first time I have built with SS track.

Attached Files

#2 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:14 PM

That is huge! Very ambitious for your first SS style coaster. Main suggestion: add more supports under the track - especially under the pullout. Not only will you be able to shape it better, but you will conserve speed that way. Basically, don't let the track look like it "sags" at any location.

#3 megabuster9000

megabuster9000

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the advice I've been working on it alot today and also lubricating all my cars for it. There a few improvement areas. The loop needs a little bit more shaping work but it is working with my trains.

Attached Files

#4 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:06 PM

This is very big! It's nice to see someone new starting a roller coaster here. I do like that you're trying to emulate the arrow supports (which I haven't seen most people do before), but you need something to support the track in the gaps of the supports be it a spine or just something connecting them all together that would allow you to have more track-to-support connections. I don't know what degree of accuracy you're going for with this, but there are a couple things here that don't match the real thing. The transition into the turn looks weird, kinda like it banks and then unbanks before going into the turn. Some of the picture angles are weird, but the drop looks too steep, since the real thing only has a 50-55 degree or so drop. The height of the loop is accurate, but arrow loops are more teardrop shaped while yours is more circular, almost like Schwarzkoph loops.

I found a good picture showing the first drop and loop so you can see what I'm talking about.

https://img.buffalon...mNvdmVyIn19fQ==

Another thing: as you continue making this, using the Google Maps satellite view is a good way of making sure the proportions of everything is correct. I want to emphasize I'm not trying to roast you or anything and I like that you're attempting this, but if you really want to recreate this accurately (unlike RCC) then those things need to be addressed. It might seem nitpicky, but these are the types of things I look for when making realistic K'Nex coasters.

Edited by FrIeDeGgS, 18 February 2020 - 01:07 PM.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#5 megabuster9000

megabuster9000

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 04:13 PM

Thank you for the advice alot of what I've done so far is kind of a rough draft of the track. I'm working on improving that first turn because that picture you included shows that the bank isn't as pronounced on the first turn as it seemed in some POV footage I was watching to see if the tun was banked or un banked. I think I'm going to rework it a bit to improve the look.

#6 megabuster9000

megabuster9000

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:27 PM

Just a small update for today. I have re tracked the first turn and the loop to shape them more closely to the actual ride. Looking to get started on the Batwing element soon.

Attached Files

Edited by megabuster9000, 23 February 2020 - 05:28 PM.

#7 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:11 AM

This is really giving me Vortex by Venometer vibes... LOVE IT

Really makes me want to build an Arrow. I just love the look of the supports :)

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#8 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:30 PM

I would look into making a spine on the track - it doesn't have to be intrusive, but a few green rods strung together through the holes in the Crossties (green track connectors) can really help stiffen up the track.

#9 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:38 PM

^ to add on to that, if you have the pieces for it using the grey rods you're using for supporting the track in place of the green ones also does wonders. Staggering the rods will help eliminate sharp and straight spots (those aren't much of a problem with your coaster though)

This is definately a great build to see progress and I wish you the best of luck! already doing really well for your first SS

#10 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:31 AM

That is looking really nice now! I agree with both posts above, having some kind of non-intrusive spine will definitely help keep speed and allow you to maintain an accurate Arrow support structure

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#11 megabuster9000

megabuster9000

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:31 PM

I have been working slowly over the last few days and the input is greatly appreciated. I'll have an update tomorrow probably. But today I just got in 23 pounds of parts to help finish this coaster

Attached Files

• nerd4Sc likes this

#12 megabuster9000

megabuster9000

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 11:14 PM

This is this weekend's progress. The station/transfer track/brake run area was where most of the time was spent. I attempted to get a rough draft of the batwing to work but it didnt so I'm going to re-track it and possibly bring it little closer to the loop. It would look a little different from the real things but it will help conserve speed. I'm also going to work on making the supports a little better.

Attached Files

• nerd4Sc likes this

#13 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:20 PM

nice transfer track the supports on the loop are very good quick question though do you add weights to you train?

Edited by CrayCray for coasters, 03 March 2020 - 02:20 PM.

hello there.   I'm CrayCray for Coasters and i truly am

YT: https://www.youtube....TtN7habMCySGc0A

#14 megabuster9000

megabuster9000

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:10 PM

nice transfer track the supports on the loop are very good quick question though do you add weights to you train?

I have not added weights to my trains.

#15 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 07:01 PM

It looks like the train should be able to make the batwing.  I'd try beefing up the supports.

Posted Image

#16 megabuster9000

megabuster9000

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 04:00 PM

This is an update of this past weekend's progress. The shaping needs a little improvement in a few places because some of my tube track was very twisted when I bought it. The second half of the batwing couldn't be as tall as the real ride but it does come out with enough speed to make it over to the mid course brake run. I will probably have the mid course brake run elevate the train bu a bit to make it easier for the ride to get though the double corkscrew and helix before the final brake run.

Attached Files

Edited by megabuster9000, 09 March 2020 - 04:00 PM.

• JohnnyR24 likes this

#17 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 01:22 PM

There is some general roughness on that batwing - I'll try and make an image for it :) 

minor bumps really take a lot of speed out of these SS cars. 

• nerd4Sc likes this

#18 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 05:44 PM

FYI you can toss the tubing on low heat in your clothes dryer for a few minutes and it will take out all the kinks.  

Posted Image

#19 megabuster9000

megabuster9000

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for the advice

FYI you can toss the tubing on low heat in your clothes dryer for a few minutes and it will take out all the kinks.

This will also be the last update for I dont know how long becuase my campus is shutting down classes for the time being due to the coronavirus outbreak. I hopefully will be back in late April at the earliest but from the looks of how this is going it wont be untill next fall.

The coaster is nearing completion there is just the second corkscrew and the final helix to complete. I know that the track work isn't perfect but it is working quite well but I'll probably need to get some more parts to finish this up. This has been an exciting project to make so far and I hoping one day I can complete it.

Attached Files

#20 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 07:56 AM

Dang, I just saw this post and that sucks! You must be the only one us us who's more restricted from building K'nexes due to the virus. Hope you can get back to school soon!

Also, I love how expansive this whole thing is . . . and how you combine the classic support structure with the tube supports. Just like Arrow in real life!