B&M Stand Up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:34 PM

I moved into a relatively big single bed room apartment and thought to myself, "I could buy furniture, or I could go home and get my parts and build a ride"

...I eat dinner at my desk

Lift Hill 1

Lift Hill 2

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

#2 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:45 AM

I recently moved into my own place too and my living room is the same set up. No couch, or other furniture, just a bunch of K'nex and also my trains  :lol:

The coaster looks awesome. Can't wait to see more 

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#3 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:54 PM

Okay doing quick updates because this is all I do when I get home from work right now\

Started making the turn around like stand ups have:

Update2_1

Update2_2

After comparing it to my source material, Rougarou (this is not a recreation though), I realized that my turn looks a bit wide and long.  So I cleaned it up.  I think it looks a lot better, but the pictures might not show it as much.

Update2_3

Update2_4

Update2_5

Update2_6

• rgarner42 likes this

#4 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:02 AM

This looks really promising! The banking looks great and I can definitely see the Rougarou inspiration. Make sure you leave plenty of space for the lift mechanism!

Posted Image

#5 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 10:50 AM

Update Time!

Bit of a story here.  I have tried maybe 2 or 3 times throughout my time with this hobby (on and off 10 years) to do the Kumba drop and loop over the lift.  I have never gotten the shaping right and have never been able to fix it due to time constraints of the build.  So in my ineptitude I have decided to cheat to make the loop over the lift hill.  I'm pretty happy with the results and the train barely makes it over through the loop.  The pull out from the loop has a bit of a hard angle right at the larger support but I think it will smooth out when I add side tubing to the track, we'll see.

Update3_1

Update3_2

Update3_3

Update3_4

Update3_5

Update3_6

Update3_7

Edited by CCreator12, 15 August 2020 - 05:13 PM.

#6 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 10:52 AM

Looks like some of my photos are getting cut off from the post so forgive me for double posting but here are the rest

Update3_8

Update3_9

Update3_10

[Edit] I just measured the height of the loop vs the top of the drop post turn and the difference is 1 green rod so speed loss is looking very minimal for our good friends the ball bearing trains

Edited by CCreator12, 15 August 2020 - 10:56 AM.

#7 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 05:21 AM

This looks great so far! I really like the drops turn and I think you have it’s shaping just about spot on! The only thing that I think needs a little work is the top of the loop - it looks a tiny bit wide at the top. I think if you deepen the pullin/pullouts slightly and narrowed the top a bit it would look perfect (it does only need slight adjustment though so hand shaping may do the trick).

#8 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 11:34 AM

Construction continues rapidly as I have nothing else to do during the day right now.  I've constructed the dive loop, redid the supports on the loop to better match the B&M style and built an overbank/high speed turn.  After I re-did the supports on the loop the train has a much easier time making it through which is good for the overall pacing of the ride.  The train makes it through the dive loop relatively quickly, but at this point I don't want to spend the time and headache trying to reshape the thing to be slightly taller.  I'll have an video on the next update to show the pacing.

Overall height loss from top of loop to top of dive loop is exactly 1 gray rod but could easily be 1 metallic green/red rod.  I ran a normal train through the layout and I could barely clear the loop and wouldn't come close to the dive loop.  I love the new trains.

Update4_1

Update4_2

Update4_3

Update4_4

Update4_5

Update4_6

Update4_7

Update4_8

Update4_9

Update4_10

#9 rgarner42

rgarner42

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 08:08 AM

Wow, this is going up quick. 

Looks pretty good overall, but the first half of the loop doesn't look right to me. The track seems to get too steep too quickly out of the exit from the drop, and so as a result you've got a long straight area before the rest of the loop. (The 2nd half looks good though, which has a much smoother exit)

I like the minimalist lift hill too.