micro launch coaster cannonball

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 08:20 AM

Hey all! It has been forever since I've posted something in here... Some 2,5 years ago I build this coaster - and it has been standing in my room ever since. About time to show it off!

Cannonball resembles a short launched Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster. It has a launch, tophat, inverted tophat, corkscrew, tight helix and bunny hop.

IMG3.jpg

The launch mechanism is the most unique part of this coaster. I developed a novel system, heavily based on the ball launcher I created some time ago (https://youtu.be/Xdk1yoYeILI), yet beefed up to increase launching speed. I found this system to be very reliable, giving trains a fairly consistent launching speed. Moreover, it uses no rubber bands or so (it is k'nex only!). This meant that, even after standing and being used for over 2 years, the launch still worked, giving trains the same speed as when I first build it, as no parts are wearing out.

IMG1.jpg

Another unique part is the station: this coaster has a 3-train operation, and is build such that trains will never collide. A secondary chain underneath the station ensures train separation, and dispatches the first train if the third has cleared the course and is inside the station. This mechanism shares its motor with the launch system - the entire coaster thus utilizes one motor only.

IMG2.jpg

• Muzz135 likes this

#2 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 02:06 PM

Hey that's pretty sweet - really neat little layout.

#3 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 06:18 AM

This is such a neat build! It really pops. It's so rare to see any micro coasters these days, let alone launched ones, so thanks for posting! Do you have any videos of the launch? Would love to see it running!

Posted Image