Custom cars and upgrades with help

knex custom cars wheels bearings trains

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 10:14 AM

just made a new topic to descus things like custom trains, bearings, custom 3d printed stuff and help for evnything to do with 3d printing or custom cars, train or anything to do with knex coasters.

#2 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 10:18 AM

Im starting this topic on a descussion about larger bearings and larger assemberlys.

I orderd some 15mm bearings and turns out they spin much smoother and for a bit longer, thing we could use these as main running wheels for inverted or hyper / giga creations, since they have to make fewer rotations to gain the same distance and the outer ring has more rotational mass it will probably result in less speed loss. just need some help editing the 3d printed assemberlys to fit them, they are 6mm hole instead of the normal 5mm the old bearing use, because the outer ring is 5m larger and the middle is only 1mm larger this means the ball inside are much larger, and Im assuming this results in smoother rotation and less speed loss also.

Attached Files

#3 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:23 AM

I can hop into blender and whip something up, i also wanna do spring loaded guides for wings, and spring loaded upstops, bc that would help speed in some cases

hello there.   I'm CrayCray for Coasters and i truly am

YT: https://www.youtube....TtN7habMCySGc0A

#4 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:11 PM

I can hop into blender and whip something up, i also wanna do spring loaded guides for wings, and spring loaded upstops, bc that would help speed in some cases

oh cool, I wouldnt mind doing a trade thing with you, you get some assemberlys desihned and printed and ill clean a bunch of bearings for ya in return. these 15mm ones spin for so long, they even beat out my best 11mm ones, you do have to use the 6mm beads and will probably need new screws, I can work on finding out the sizes if you wana make somthing to print. I wouldnt think the side wheels would matter to much for speed, but the running wheels aka top and bottom for notmal and inverted cars would.

Attached Files

#5 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:08 PM

dam these 13mm bearins seems so good, they spin so fast, but the inner diamiter is only 4mm so you cant use the beads but I pressure fitted them and they seem to work perfectly, the sides are soooo close to rubbing for the main running wheels, maybe 0.1mm on eatch side lmao. but they spin fine, still need to print some slightly larger assemberlys though. maybe an extra 1-2mm on eatch size though should be fine, and finding some 4mm beads to propperly secure them

Attached Files

#6 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:38 PM

update, after fitting all the 13mm bearings they work good, but the side wheels are allways in contact with the track so the train uses 4 wheels all the time rather than just 2, so the assemberlys need to be about 2-4 mm wider but thats all the needs to be done

#7 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:40 PM

This is some really neat designing/ brainstorming you are doing here. I am interested to see what you find out. I lobe the look, performance, and sound of Johnny's ball bearing design. I also have created some nice brakes that fit the bearing housings, if you want to check em out they are on a previous thread.

Edited by Steelwheels33, 22 January 2021 - 10:18 PM.

#8 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:54 PM

This is some really neat designing/ brainstorming you are doing here. I am interested to see what you find out. I lobe the look, performance, and sound of Johnny's ball bearing design. I also have created some nice brakes that fit the nearing housings, if you want to check em out they are on a previous thread.

nice you should post them here also, I might be buying a used 3d printer in the next few months to start printing things to test bearing sizes and stuff propperly. anyone ahve any Idears for me to test just post a link to a render and I can print it of, probably some time before summer Ill have one up and running.

#9 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:10 PM

I'll finish them asap, I'll bring them next time i'm in town

oh cool, I wouldnt mind doing a trade thing with you, you get some assemberlys desihned and printed and ill clean a bunch of bearings for ya in return. these 15mm ones spin for so long, they even beat out my best 11mm ones, you do have to use the 6mm beads and will probably need new screws, I can work on finding out the sizes if you wana make somthing to print. I wouldnt think the side wheels would matter to much for speed, but the running wheels aka top and bottom for notmal and inverted cars would.

And i'mma try and make them spring loaded, I'm working on a hypersonic XLC recreation whilst i wait on my first SS

Edited by CrayCray for coasters, 21 January 2021 - 01:33 PM.

#10 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 03:22 PM

I'll finish them asap, I'll bring them next time i'm in town

And i'mma try and make them spring loaded, I'm working on a hypersonic XLC recreation whilst i wait on my first SS

idk if spring loading will have any benafit tbh, when I put the larger ebarings on the normal asselberlys they were exactly the right size on the outer wheels to make contact with the track with no added pressure and it seemed to slow the train down slightly  compared to being loose witha  few mm of space

#11 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:06 PM

i meant for the springs to be used with like dive trains or wing trains, basically heavy trains that react to lateral shake very badly, i'm going to make some cars for red micro rod spines, for b&m's, and some for diagonal micro connections

#12 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:53 PM

i meant for the springs to be used with like dive trains or wing trains, basically heavy trains that react to lateral shake very badly, i'm going to make some cars for red micro rod spines, for b&m's, and some for diagonal micro connections

oh maybe, making 3d printed wing cars, and inverted cars is why I want a 3d printer, Imagine having a accurate looking inverted train

#13 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 05:37 PM

i'm going to try and have 2 upstops & 2 guides, and also have a steering wheel base, so it might take me a little longer, next time i'm near thorpe is gonna be like feb 21st, do you know the width of the 15mm bearings?

Edited by CrayCray for coasters, 27 January 2021 - 05:46 PM.

#14 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:30 PM

6mm inner, 5mm with and 15mm dimiter

#15 CrayCray for coasters

CrayCray for coasters

Construction Foreman

• 292 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:32 AM

6mm inner, 5mm with and 15mm dimiter

cool, thanks, i'll add an extra mm for washers

#16 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:53 PM

Hey gaming ninja here are the brakes that you asked me to post in this thread as well. These brakes are designed specifically for Johnny's ball bearing housings. the first image show is the pieces that are required to make one.

The new housings that cray and you are designing are going to be different I would guess and so it would require another new brake design to accommodate the larger wheels from my understanding.

Attached Files

#17 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 08:09 PM

The results are in.

I tested a 3 car train on a non inverting non turning or twisting simple 45 degree to 45 degree drop. a vally if you will. and tested how long the 3 car train took to rock back and forth to come to a complete stop.

the fround car (2 sets of running wheel assemberlys) stays as the new bearing the entire time. and only the 2 remaining sets of running wheels were changed between my older 11mm bearing and my new 13 mm bearings.

and for only chaning 50% of the total active bearings I was pritty shocked with the results.

"bearing" in mind (XD) I only changed 50% of the active bearing over to the new size it managed to carry its speed for an extra roughly 5 seconds beyond the 11mm normal / slightly rusted older bearings. this was a roughly 35% imporvment or somthing. and probably would have had number more towards 14-16 seconds if i changed all the bearings over to the new ones.

https://www.ebay.co....872.m2749.l2649

they are a lot more expensive to the cheap chinease normal one though. about 28 bearings for a 6 car train (only running and inverted wheels changed) costs about £33. I currently have no way of testing the 15mm ones as the space is just to small for then on the assemberlys I have from jhonny. once I get new assemberlys to test I will compare. I had to use normal 11mm ones on this test for the side wheels as when i installed the 13 mm ones they were in constant contact with the track and caused to much friction.

I have to say also, I have had no duds in this 4 packs of 10 I brought, all have ran smoothly for a long time. guess its jsutnwhat you get when you buy more expensive ones

Attached Files