Prototype Series (17/21/2020)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 11:49 AM

It’s been a while since I’ve made a construction thread. 

“A coaster, but not a coaster. Something that will be unfinished when it is finished.” - SCM, TLT #45649  

Forum, the pictures are down below so feel free to skip reading.  

I’m only 90% done with this first prototype update. I already know exactly how this will look before I even finish building it. There is so much potential here. 

I have a little over 1,000 grey half moons and a little over 500 blue spacers. This one small section alone has inflicted a worrisome dent in my piece count for these pieces. 

I wasn’t too worried about getting the trackwork to be smooth. It ideally would use more X-ties and maybe have a backbone using granite corner connectors and black sparkly flexis. Maybe even some purple middle middle tubing, though I’ve never been able to use middle middle tubing without said tubing getting scratched up. 

This thing would have thicc pathways and buildings interacting with the track. I’d like to see some architectural-based (factory) themeing. Something you’d find in an RCT2 video (shoutout to SpeedCoasterMaster on YouTube :P). It’d need to be in a way where the track and structures compliment each other in an infinite loop of coolness. 

Using the blue spacers like I did was a result of both necessity and aesthetics. I needed a color that would really contrast against everything else. So, blue spacers were used. 

Le photos: 

LGLtjGP.jpg

NSBuKPp.jpg

A queue line like this with blue spacers would look marvelous, especially if it were an extremely long queue line with plenty of turns, possibly taking no less than 1,000 blue spacers alone. 

gqXEjeN.jpg

If1SVgw.jpg

There’s the aforementioned thicc pathway’. 

2wGAkGp.jpg

aREuUiE.jpg

I absolutely love this final picture. ;)  This coaster would also have the first vertical layer of each tube colored metallic green and the rest grey, to mimic polluted factory water. 

Don’t expect a full coaster from this. This is just a prototype; an idea. I do want to build a full coaster again, but I can’t. ToxiCaterpillar was the biggest coaster I was able to make at the time. Now, it’s just the second half of my bed. I don’t necessarily like having to build in an ‘out-and-back’ style. I like building layouts that are spread out like butter on a piece of toast. 

I’ll be moving in the near-ish future, to a (hopefully) decent-sized room. 

Every time I first set foot in a potential “new house”, the first thing I do is search for my potential “new room” and assess how much building space there would be. It’s a force of habit by this point. Comment… if you want. :)

Edited by SCM, 21 May 2021 - 09:21 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#2 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 07:31 PM

Sad this won't be a fully "finished" coaster, but fascinated by what you are planning to do!

#3 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:18 PM

Gahh. Every time I get on and see one of your inverts it makes me want to clean off some floor space and get building! 

This close to finished not going to be finished but is still almost finished prototype looks really clean and really feels space themed to me.

Edited by CartRacer56, 16 May 2021 - 09:19 PM.

#4 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 04:24 AM

That does look like an excellent concept. I hope your search for a newer, bigger, better room finishes soon!

#5 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 09:20 PM

Sad this won't be a fully "finished" coaster, but fascinated by what you are planning to do!

Yeah. Thanks. :)

Gahh. Every time I get on and see one of your inverts it makes me want to clean off some floor space and get building! 

This close to finished not going to be finished but is still almost finished prototype looks really clean and really feels space themed to me.

*evil laugh* I like to hear that. Futurey spacey factoryey themeing is what I’m going for. Thanks. :)

That does look like an excellent concept. I hope your search for a newer, bigger, better room finishes soon!

Thanks. :) I hope so, too.

I think this might be the last prototype I’ll be able to make for a while now, since we’re in the process of moving soon. I made something that mimics a cross-section of terrain as often seen in RCT coasters. 

9SvVEcD.jpg

FR5UIWb.jpg

The terrain could be part of a huge spaceship. I was thinking that it would be super cool if this track is an exposed section of a cobra roll. Maybe even a criss cross c-roll. ;) 

Cxmwv1M.jpg

There’s some polluted green water under a bridge. It’ll get sent back to the processing facility to be made back into clear water. 

ziP2OvD.jpg

Yeah, I know the track looks a little firetruck’d up. That’s the mangled X-ties. That’s how they were when I bought them back in like 2014 or 2015. 45 of ‘em. I’m not sure why they’re like this. At first, I was thinking they might’ve gotten warped from the heat on the way to my house, but then that’s never happened with other X-ties I’ve ordered before. I’m also ruling out coloration, as I haven’t even gotten a warped chain link. It’s not unheard of for X-ties to bend out of shape for whatever reason, but what are the chances that most of the 45 X-ties I got were bent? Something’s up.  

ssVmbFW.jpg

I will be taking these prototypes down shortly after this update in preparation to move. Maybe the X-ties were used in a ritual and then sold online to free the previous occupants from a terrible curse. That would explain so much. Comment… if you want. :) 

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master