knex coaster in a museum

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 09:54 AM

Starting a new phase of coaster building! I am now a volunteer at my local model railroad museum, and I have been given an entire section to do whatever I want with.

The K'nex rides in this area were pretty run down and broken, so I destroyed most of them, but kept and repaired the big Ferris Wheel and the original orange K'nex coaster.

Now I have begun to build my own creation, which is inspired by the original Screamin' Serpent, as well as the Beast and Oasis (a classic SSCoasters model from back in the day).

The goal here is not to do anything too crazy, but just make a cool-looking, but extremely reliable coaster that can run continuously for hours every day. And, if you're in the Gulf Coast area, it would be awesome if you stopped by!

#2 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 07:37 AM

That's fantastic! I wish this sort of stuff existed around me.. 

#3 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 07:47 AM

I've been steadily building at the museum - about halfway done with the coaster now!

• Muzz135 likes this

#4 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 10:04 AM

Work has resumed on this coaster, and should be finishing up pretty quickly. Still have some track work a bit of theming left.

#5 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 18 July 2021 - 10:08 AM

It's time for the theming additions to begin! 

#6 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 02:43 AM

It's time for the theming additions to begin! 

Your mum is totally right, the leaves look great!

Once this is all built, what's the long term plan? Will it stay in place forever or?

#7 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:53 AM

^Thanks! And it should be up for at least a year. So if you all really want to you can go see it. Track is complete, though I am having some lifthill issues at the moment (plastic chains like to break when it's 100 F degrees and humid).

Edited by Chaos, 25 July 2021 - 08:54 AM.

• Muzz135 likes this

#8 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 10:59 AM

The coaster is done! My final battle with this coaster turned out to be with the lift hill. Despite this one being smaller than some other coasters I've built with a drill, the Mississippi heat and humidity caused the chain links to disconnect VERY easily. The coaster couldn't even make a single circuit without the chain breaking.

I tried to solve the problem with a bike chain, which is honestly a promising enough solution that I might invest some more time in that later - and maybe even try a specific type of tractor chin instead, as those are nearly identical in size to the original K'nex chain.

But after all that, the much easier solution ended up being the micro-K'nex chain. I'm pretty sure it works better because each chain link has the same plastic thickness as the larger links, which doesn't allow for nearly as much flexibility variations. Look for the final video next week, and the POV the week after that.

#9 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 11:46 AM

Final off-ride video is here! And the surrounding rides in the "park" are operational as well!

#10 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 22 August 2021 - 10:37 AM

And . . . the POV is here! This will actually be the final new coaster I make until next year, but I'm still planning some cool stuff these next few months.

#11 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 12:54 AM

Another awesome ride and production Chaos!! Keep em coming...

#12 larska

larska

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 07:39 AM

Cool looking coaster, especially with the original ferris wheel!