• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 02:33 AM

Hello friends,

I finally finished it! I decided to start a new thread since the coaster is definitely named now!

Watch the final video before YouTube takes my content down for copyright 😂.

I just need to have good music in my videos.

Enjoy! Subscribe...

-steelwheels33Attached File  IMG_20211107_013208001.jpg   209.33KB   0 downloads

#2 G Force

G Force

Yea Man

• 1098 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 08:39 PM

Nice coaster!  Super fun layout and good supports too.

Fun video too.

#3 OddlyCreative

OddlyCreative

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 01:40 AM

I love this coaster, especially the lift! I also liked the way in which you changed to box supports on the other lift sections, it was very seamless!

That lift mechanism looks really cool! Can you give an brief explanation on how it works?  :D

Edited by OddlyCreative, 01 January 2022 - 01:40 AM.

#4 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 11:43 PM

I love this coaster, especially the lift! I also liked the way in which you changed to box supports on the other lift sections, it was very seamless!
That lift mechanism looks really cool! Can you give an brief explanation on how it works?  :D

Yeah sure! But explaining this in words is not easy!

so essentially the train comes into the station and activates a first set of levers that in turn, engage a running motor to drive another shaft that, through chain and a series of pulleys, lifts a weight up an elevator. At the same time, another motor is running disconnected from a set of gears and a shaft that is attached to a 2nd lever on the elevator. As the weight climbs the elevator, it presses against the end of that lever and causes a set of red gears to engage the second running motor. This then causes a chain, which is attached to a shaft driven by those gears, to turn, and drive a gear on the opposite end of the chain which is attached to a shaft that in turn is a attached to the gears that drive the train out of the station.

This all sounds very complicated. But when you see it in action it's actually quite simple. As the train leaves the station, the first set of levers are disengaged, and that causes the weight to be able to drop from the elevator. The weight, in turn, no longer applies pressure to the 2nd lever, and thus disconnects the second drive motor, which stops the station drive chain.

So a result of this is you have two motors running constantly at the station, but no chains are ever moving until the train enters the station. This creates the illusion of an automatic station and.... in all reality it is!

#5 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 11:58 PM

Sorry meant to put this in the post above! @oddlycreative this explains it pretty well.

#6 RightWayTrey

RightWayTrey

Automatic or nothing

• 702 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 09:15 PM

That is awesome!  The coaster is amazing and something about mechanically automated stations just really satisfies deep inside.

It's been years since I've checked in here but you've got me missing it and wanting to pull the Knex back out.

Posted Image

Valleyfair Recres:..........My Tutorials:......

................Steel Venom................Automatic Station Gates.......

..........Corkscrew...................Automatic Drill Launch....

...Round About................Auto on/off switch..

#7 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 03:32 PM

^That is one of my hopes in continuing to post here. That more people are inspired to keep building. I have only created 5 complete custom Knex coasters in my life.

I too have trouble pulling the trigger and breaking them back out after taking down the last one. Hell I'm still finishing the disassembly of the base of this ride. So many of us are older now and I know we have other things that take up our time.

I think for my next ride I'm going to keep it simple and just do something small and fun.