Normal Woodie (2/7/2022)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 03:45 PM

This ain't gonna be an actual full coaster... yet. As glimpses for SW still undergo construction, I have thought ahead to other possible future coasters from me. 

I have made some part of some type of lift with a proper catwalk on BOTH sides. I recently looked at Griffon’s lift hill, and I’ve noticed that there is a nice catwalk with railings on the left but only stairs on the right. It’s a floorless train, so it’s not like people on the right can walk to the left.

XkKMw1H.jpg

w/o train

vblJPSp.jpg

w/ train

UhzhnLy.jpg
side view

I3w9llm.jpg
a look down

RhYosVN.jpg
so many Y connectors

2BSiQPH.jpg
using these pieces because it looks better imo

3SeTNUy.jpg
These blue rods hold the chain guide in place. 

Pqtn4xl.jpg
     I’m also using micro pieces for an additional 2 railings for added safety. If you look closely, you’ll see a small black micro rod in between the brown ladder and a micro red half moon. Those rods aren’t actually connected to anything. They’re pretty much free-floating. They help maintain the angle of the micro red half moons, as well as keep the second railing from the bottom from falling out of alignment with the top railing. 

FDiVjh9.jpg
     Here’s that chain guide. It’s designed to be as close to the track as possible without presenting any risk of contacting the track while still looking cool. (cool) The blue rods on the sides can be fixed by going to the other ends of them where the Y connector and red corner are connected to the rod by just the tip, and then joining the blue rod and Y connector together via the forbidden connection. 

Edited by SCM, 02 July 2022 - 03:23 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#2 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 11:28 PM

Looks great!  Love the red color scheme too.

Posted Image

#3 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 10:54 PM

Thanks, RCT2123. Me too. :) 

I guess I’ll just put this here. I have an idea for a small coaster. In the meantime, here’s another thing for the invert. I have things in my room that I can’t show, so that’s why a lot of things are covered up. 

qB5XD8v.png

5aYkZ9V.png

(Oh, wow, you can really see the bad shaping in this image) 

XZ8QtbB.png

These first three images show inversions 2 through 4. I plan for the top of the criss-cross butterfly to be either the same height or one granite lower than the toxic dive drop, which will have some twists as it dives. 

B9nj7fS.png

Ceiling fan. Nothing else matters. 

fTm3Cht.png

I built the base of this low to the ground and I had to raise it, so I did this by raising it up one white rod at a time. It was a tedious process that took a few weeks. The full structure probably won’t need this wall thingy going on, although the entire ride will be themed like a castle. 

qO3Ob4l.png

Here’s a cool view of the top section of the criss-cross butterfly. I could have a pathway on top right here. 

cuD2MrH.png

Here’s the train. 100% knex. Ain’t no fancy three-dee printers here. Just honest work. This train photo is exclusive to SSC. As soon as I can, I’ll upload a video version of this update to my yt channel. Something I will say: I have no intention of using green flexis on this coaster. They draw too much attention away from the purple tubing. This’ll be the last pre-update to this coaster. Hopefully I can start this project for realzies one day. Forum, if I ever talk about getting ceramic ball bearings for my train, take that as a sign that this project is definitely going to be made. Comment… if you want. Post 2020? Oh...

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#4 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 11:09 PM

I like the idea of going 100% Knex no 3D printers because I'm actually scared to buy one because I know I'd never stop using it and spend a ton of money. I really like that second coaster as far as the theming goes. The green purple and black go really well together.

Edited by Steelwheels33, 17 May 2022 - 11:10 PM.

• SCM likes this

#5 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 10:47 AM

Thank you, Steelwheels33. I like the colors of the second coaster, too, it’s just not what I intend for the final product to have. 

I’m making a small yellow woodie. This ain’t no RMC with fancy inversions. It’s a classic woodie. A normal woodie. A woodie that is very, very normal. Pics: 

gs7UM1R.png

wkxpHsT.png

0n4eEdV.png

This concludes the first update of this extremely normal woodie, which has and will have a normal 6-car train, a normal station, and a normal lift hill. There’s no need to question anything. Everything is normal. Everything.

• G Force likes this

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#6 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 23 June 2022 - 09:04 AM

I have continued construction of this normal woodie. Like most woodies, this one is designed to move about the layout very slowly. It is imperative that a slow pace is maintained so as to not cause too much stress on the wooden supports. 

xKQM0cf.png

You can see the beautiful fragility of this normal woodie in this image. 

mUtoXG4.png

I just wanted to do something that I’d do in RCT2. 

i6HMFlP.png

Here’s an overview of the coaster as I usually view it. 

7Rkumzl.png

This whole thing is really just an excuse to make a slow yet extremely thrilling ride. The layout is almost done. I only have 445 black X-ties to work with. I may have made this a little too tall. I don’t think I have the pieces to make a catwalk throughout the ride. I’m even running low on yellow rods. I should have just enough to complete the layout. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#7 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 03:22 PM

Mini update.

8TAc8G2.png

I’m trying for an alternate version of the XY station gates I used for Ningen (image below). 

taqObK5.png

Why not have the XY station gates mechanism above the station platform? It’ll look like the entire roof is moving. This is to disorient anyone who is waiting for the train to arrive in the station. Also, the vertical bar should help prevent impatient guests from jumping over the gates. Comment... if you want.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master