Phantom | Next Gen VV Floorless [Complete]

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 02:34 PM

Surprise! I'm back with a surprise build! As this started out as a massively experimental build and changed massively as it came together, I decided to go under the radar with this one.

The main goal of this model was to test the limits of a new track spine and support style I started developing on my last coaster, Vertigo. Simply put, this new spine design is an inverted stack of two classic BBaller spines. So in other words, one 4-rod spine is stacked upside down on top of another. To provide enough clearance for the wheel assemblies, I went with purple "ladder" connectors rather than the conventional yellow quarter snowflake ones. The result is something that looks a lot more like real-life tubular track.

To go with this new micro spine, I've been using thinner, more compact supports that better match the micro style without compromising on strength. This design is simply 4 rods connected by rotating red quarter snowflakes, each of which is connected to 3 rods. These can be connected really easily to a base and to each other.

Whilst it took me several scrapped designs (my original goal was to make something resembling a Schwarzkopf silverarrow), I'm really pleased with the final build! I ended up making a B&M floorless, with a classic 180 degree drop, vertical loop, speed hill, immelman, heartline roll, overbank and finally, a little bunny hill. Here it is:

5MCyN7G.jpg

For context, the model is about 5 grey rods tall, making it one of the smaller models I've made (!).

fwQutud.jpg

A moody morning shot:

zd7gzPX.jpg

jhdyiX8.jpg

I'm definitely proud of the way it looks and the proportions too.

jwpauD8.jpg

And without further ado, here's the whole thing in operation:

A quick review of the spine:

- It's not quite as strong as I'd hoped, but the momentum conserved by this coaster is much better than any of my previous builds, which also enabled me to build in a much cleaner style, using fewer track-support connections.
- The strength and rigidity of the spine, plus the extra rod laddering means that once in place, the spine's structure helps smooth and shape the track. Frequently I'd build an element with a few imperfections, then come back the following day and they'd be gone!
- However, its rigidity is also its greatest flaw; the spine isn't particularly flexible, which unfortunately limits its maximum turning radius. This was most apparent when I was building the roll - it needed to really drawn out to prevent the formation of sharp spots which stop the trains. Ultimately this spine design is best suited for large, drawn elements rather than compact, snappy ones. Does this defeat the point of building VV? A little bit, but I think this spine is a happy compromise between super conventional VV coasters and SS.

What's next? I'm currently working on an improved, more flexible version of the spine without the purple ladders, which I believe were causing the sharp spots to develop. The next build has already begun....

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Batwing, 05 January 2023 - 02:43 PM.

Posted Image