Drill Launch

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
176 replies to this topic

#41 QAFS

QAFS

Lead Engineer

• 1166 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:18 PM

Hello from YouSendIt, You have a file called Drill Launch (0 bytes) from mr_myers@comcast.net waiting for download.
You can click on the following link to retrieve your file. The file will expire in 7 days and will be available for 100 number of downloads.
Link: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=78BBD7365837C717

That's what i got

#42 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:23 PM

Lol. Not even an extension and it's 0 bytes...

#43 microman171

microman171

Weapons Enthusiast

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:54 PM

Exactly what I said. Try using a different file host. Even put it in a zip and add it as an attachment :)

:boom Microman171

#44 TwistedDreams

TwistedDreams

*Redunk*

• 3123 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:23 PM

It let me download it this time, but I got nothing when I opened the file with wordpad....
-TD

#45 mattthecoasterkid

mattthecoasterkid

Construction Worker

• 79 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:59 AM

http://s32.photobuck...s/Drill Launch/

There you go. Please bare with me as it was pretty hard to put up. Haha enjoy.

MAMBAPATRIOTTIMBERWOLFBOOMERANGSPINNINGDRAGONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#46 Swimming24-7

Swimming24-7

Go Apaches!

• 952 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:02 AM

AWESOME!!!! That is very neat. How fast does it make the train go? Will you use this on any models??

--cpfan101

#47 TwistedDreams

TwistedDreams

*Redunk*

• 3123 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:03 AM

That is so kick a$$.
I would love to use this on a futer model. Thanks for going through all the trouble of uploading all those pics.
-TD

#48 mattthecoasterkid

mattthecoasterkid

Construction Worker

• 79 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for all the comments. It will go pretty fast, depending on how many rubber bands there are between the 2 pulleys. You might want to even try putting some other kind of rubber band or belt to at least let the pulleys slip a little bit. I wont be using this anytime soon, as I have practically no SS parts. Haha but anyways thanks for all the comments!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#49 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:55 PM

I was starting to think this was all a hoax. It looks awesome. Someday, I'll probably use it.

#50 FynexFox

FynexFox

SSC Elite...

• 606 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:17 PM

Ok, well lemme tell ya what. Your rig is so overly done. I made a very simplisitc verison, and the rod holding the egars, I put into th drill like a bit, tightned the drill around the rod and floorded it, the chain litterally ripepd apaprt, there is immense, and I mean IMMENSE power that can be drawn from this. I suggest if your doing this, make it overly sturdy, I flooredd the drill trigger and the rig shakes like crazy. my rig is only id say 3 and a half feet long and it launched a 3 car train off the end and accross my room. This is a sweeeeettt idea.

Posted Image
^click me^
Past Coasters: Supernova

Unrelated - Apogee Rockets

#51 mattthecoasterkid

mattthecoasterkid

Construction Worker

• 79 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:30 PM

Hahaha Im very happy to hear you've made the rig! Hahaha about the chain, that is why there is the two pulley things, the belt (rubber bands) in between the power input rod (where the drill clamps onto) and the transfer rod (the yellow sproket rod) slips a little bit to allow the chain to not get the total brute force of the drill. Haha a while ago I did just what you did FynexFox, and I soon found out that the drill had wayyy to much power and torque. The reason I had to drill the little peach peice that goes into the pulley, was because it kept "popping" off the rod because of the amount of speed and torque being applyed to the launch. Once again Im happy to hear you've made this! Thanks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#52 Tyrant

Tyrant

Lead Engineer

• 2803 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:11 AM

Also would like to chime in that me and Ron built a drill launch as well two nights ago before leaving for Holiday World. It still needs to be finished as the gear ratio needs to be completed. But the chain works perfectly as it goes through a more complex return system in order to reduce strain and tension on it. Also for fun we decided to make a clutch system with a moveable fork so that you can keep the drill on and have a launch that won't rip the trains apart. I will post some pictures later on.

-Tyrant

Posted Image
Premier Rides Inc.
Service Engineer
www.mst.edu/~mscwxc

#53 Tyrant

Tyrant

Lead Engineer

• 2803 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:26 PM

Here is a quick picture.

-Tyrant

Posted Image
Premier Rides Inc.
Service Engineer
www.mst.edu/~mscwxc

#54 Tyrant

Tyrant

Lead Engineer

• 2803 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:52 PM

And now the video:

http://media.putfile...ex-Drill-Launch

The coaster we tested it on is crappy, was put together in 5 minutes to just have the train go on something. I plan on putting the launch on something more reputable soon.

-Tyrant

Posted Image
Premier Rides Inc.
Service Engineer
www.mst.edu/~mscwxc

#55 Shamu

Shamu

Lead Engineer

• 1439 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:24 PM

'Twas lovely. What plans do you have for it?

SSCoasters Veteran

The SSCoasters Forum Rules

Coming Eventually.
There's a new storm a-brewin'...
Update 12/16/09

Posted Image

#56 TwistedDreams

TwistedDreams

*Redunk*

• 3123 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:02 PM

Dude, that is frikin awsome. I love it, and you still had the loop from typhoon up;).
It obviously needs a lot of tweaking though...
-TD

#57 Tyrant

Tyrant

Lead Engineer

• 2803 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 12:03 AM

Yea, we are going to be gearing it up to 2:1 rather than straight from the Drill. Also going to try and attach one of our robotics motors with a controller on it rather than a drill. I plan on making the launch shorter, adding the clutch and the gearing in, and getting a more powerful motor to help really launch this thing. Speed isn't the concern here, realism is what I am shooting for.

-Tyrant

Posted Image
Premier Rides Inc.
Service Engineer
www.mst.edu/~mscwxc

#58 Da Squriel

Da Squriel

millenium force

• 1024 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:34 PM

have you tried the block and tackle method tyrant?

GO to my profile to see the man behind the computer!!

#59 Ace o Spades

Ace o Spades

Lead Engineer

• 2885 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:01 PM

:o :o :o

OMG! SQUIREL!

What is the block and tackle method?

#60 Tyrant

Tyrant

Lead Engineer

• 2803 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:22 PM

All it is a fancy way of saying Pulley. And that is exactly what my setup is, even though it is a continous circut, every time the chain goes through the gears (3 on each end) it takes a load off the main chain, reducing forces and making the chain less likely to break.

-Tyrant

Posted Image
Premier Rides Inc.
Service Engineer
www.mst.edu/~mscwxc