• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 coolemailthing

coolemailthing

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:39 PM

Hijacked by CC10

This post will now contain all of the important information posted in this thread.

Original Post:

I'm bulding a coaster longer than I've built before (I can tell b/c I'm running out of peices....and I don't enough to buy more.......:sdd )....well, It has three chain hills on it b/c I keep a ton of speed........wondering if, not for this one, it's already almost done, but for future reference if there's a way to not kill as much speed.......

ADVICE FOR KEEPING SPEED:

Triple track, triple tube, and connect the track to the supports in the most ways possible. Also, you can wipe furniture polish on the rails and spray the wheels and axles (wipe them off after running them on the track a couple of times)

Here are some of my best tips on how to keep speed effectively:

1. Make the track as smooth as possible. All transitions need to be gradual and "flowing".
2. Support the track all that you can. This helps reduce the amount the entire structure moves while the train goes through it. This and smoothing the track are, IMO, the two best ways to keep speed.
3. Use WD40, silicone spray, or another lubricant to lube the train wheels and track.
4. Weight the train. This is only if the structure has very good supports and doesn't move much. It should be used as a last resort. Weighting the trains will cause much more strain on the supports so use sparingly.

smooth transitions smooth tarck ridgid fast lift hill bearings for wheels wd-40 dry lube all this will help out

Just make sure transistions/curves arn't too tight, lube your train, and support your track. No need for bearings in the wheels, hard enough to find bearings that small, and expensive.

On Troglodyte, WD-40 didn't work for me, so I used household oil. Now it's working perfectly. Weight and more supports also help, like everyone else already said.

there are three things I have always done to get the most out of m coaster:

use wd40 or some other light lube on the wheel axels. I've used my trumpet valve oil and i find that works better than the wd40.

keep your supports strong and stiff. if you find that you can't build very stiff supports you're probably building too big of a coaster.

add weights to the bottom of the cars. what i've done is tape 5 quarters together in a stack and then tape them very securely to the bottom cavity of each car (or as many as your supports can handle). be very careful with this, however; if the weights can move at all inside the cars it will kill your speed tremendously. also, like said above, if your supports aren't strong enough you can lose more speed and possibly damage your supports.

after doing all of that it's up to your layout. good luck.

#2 coastercrazy10

coastercrazy10

Mad Scientist

• 7008 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:51 PM

Triple track, triple tube, and connect the track to the supports in the most ways possible. Also, you can wipe furniture polish on the rails and spray the wheels and axles (wipe them off after running them on the track a couple of times)

-CC10

SSCoasters Staff | The SSCoasters Forum Rules
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign | Computer Science & Mathematics
Posted Image
Fireball | Kingda Ka | Inclination | Diamondback

#3 TwistedDreams

TwistedDreams

*Redunk*

• 3123 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:54 PM

Sombody's going to beat me to this post so I'll ignore your question. But, Instead of making long coasters, make smaller ones. Don't build over your limits (like me:)).
But I'd still like to see this coaster.
-TD

#4 CoasterBuilder

CoasterBuilder

Aminspec Employee

• 659 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:54 PM

Here are some of my best tips on how to keep speed effectively:

1. Make the track as smooth as possible. All transitions need to be gradual and "flowing".
2. Support the track all that you can. This helps reduce the amount the entire structure moves while the train goes through it. This and smoothing the track are, IMO, the two best ways to keep speed.
3. Use WD40, silicone spray, or another lubricant to lube the train wheels and track.
4. Weight the train. This is only if the structure has very good supports and doesn't move much. It should be used as a last resort. Weighting the trains will cause much more strain on the supports so use sparingly.

Those are some of my tips. Hope it helps:tmbs

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My SSC Gallery

Thunderstruck Video

Currently Working On: Calypso

#5 coolemailthing

coolemailthing

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:59 PM

Sombody's going to beat me to this post so I'll ignore your question. But, Instead of making long coasters, make smaller ones. Don't build over your limits (like me:)).
But I'd still like to see this coaster.
-TD

Thanks......Next, i was gonna build a wooden coaster using mainly blue rods, so I don't know how that's gonna turn out, but there won't be any inversions on that one, so it will probably be a good one speed-wise.

#6 Da Squriel

Da Squriel

millenium force

• 1024 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:57 PM

smooth transitions smooth tarck ridgid fast lift hill bearings for wheels wd-40 dry lube all this will help out

GO to my profile to see the man behind the computer!!

#7 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:21 PM

On Troglodyte, WD-40 didn't work for me, so I used household oil. Now it's working perfectly. Weight and more supports also help, like everyone else already said.

#8 Da Squriel

Da Squriel

millenium force

• 1024 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:22 PM

co2 cartriges too

#9 coolemailthing

coolemailthing

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:44 PM

co2 cartriges too

??? is that a joke?

#10 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:49 PM

co2 cartriges too

Dude, that's totally something different.
You would still lose lots of energy, there's so much though that you won't see it.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#11 coolemailthing

coolemailthing

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:50 PM

Dude, that's totally something different.
You would still lose lots of energy, there's so much though that you won't see it.

wait, ...........so is it a joke? Can i really put co2 cartridges on my SS car? I'm confused now.....

#12 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:53 PM

If you modify your SS car a little, I am sure you can put CO2 cartridges on them.
Don't use them unless you're gonna go taller than 50 feet though.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#13 coolemailthing

coolemailthing

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:04 AM

I don't think I have enough k'nex..............but maybe there's a way to jump the car between tracks......that'd be cool............totally airborne car.....................near impossible to get it work everytime, though...............

#14 coastergeekrtc

coastergeekrtc

A God Among Users

• 2653 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:08 AM

Its been done before...
And co2 was all the rage a few years ago...all the members were talking about it, but no one did it. Just make sure transistions/curves arn't too tight, lube your train, and support your track. No need for bearings in the wheels, hard enough to find bearings that small, and expensive.

*Insert signature here*

#15 coolemailthing

coolemailthing

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:09 AM

wait...........jumping tracks have been done before or just co2-cars?............

#16 coastergeekrtc

coastergeekrtc

A God Among Users

• 2653 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:12 AM

Just jumping tracks...but I'm not exactly sure about the co2 launch. There was so much talk about it I can't remember.

*Insert signature here*

#17 Da Squriel

Da Squriel

millenium force

• 1024 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:45 AM

hey i have some small co2 cartges just scotch tape em in prick em and wow
lol i think 8 or 10gram
it will make it go 20-30 feet up

#18 CP-ephY

CP-ephY

thumb abuser

• 2751 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:58 AM

The reason why noone did it is because once you use one you can't use them again. So it's as if you have to pay 1$ for every launch. (or however much a cartridge costs)

Posted Image

#19 coastercrazy10

coastercrazy10

Mad Scientist

• 7008 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:13 AM

I actually thought that the C02 Cardtridge had been done before. It was on a 22 foot coaster, but there were no pics, so neither record could be counted. Somebody built it in a warehouse or something. Maybe coastermaniacsteve?

-CC10

SSCoasters Staff | The SSCoasters Forum Rules
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign | Computer Science & Mathematics
Posted Image
Fireball | Kingda Ka | Inclination | Diamondback

#20 coolemailthing

coolemailthing

Construction Foreman

• 203 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:22 AM

Well, either way, my mother would probably never let me use co2 on k'nex, so it own't be happening for me for atleast three years........if at all.......