#1 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 02:23 PM

Posted Image

Riders injured at Kings Island - 9 juli 2006
BY EILEEN KELLEY, DAN KLEPAL AND JESSICA BROWN | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITERS

MASON - Instead of seeing people high-five one another and shriek with laughter after their ride on Son of Beast, 20-year-old Troy O'Dell saw people bleeding from their mouths. He saw people hunched over in pain. Others, he said, showed signs that they were having trouble breathing.

Something was clearly wrong. The Paramount's Kings Island ride, touted as the world's fastest and tallest wooden roller coaster, came to a halt at 4:45 p.m. Sunday.

At least 27 people were treated at hospitals after what some described as an above-normal jolt on the track.

"It didn't stop. It felt like we hit something or jumped the track," said Weldon Shaffer, 34, of Circleville.

Shaffer said the jolt happened after the coaster came out of a deep drop and was heading for a loop. Son of Beast is also promoted on the Kings Island Web site as the only wooden roller coaster in the world that loops around.

After the jolt, the mood changed.

"Everyone was screaming before that," Shaffer said. "Then (after the jolt) it was complete silence the rest of the ride."

Shaffer was treated and released from Bethesda North Hospital in Montgomery. He was joined at the hospital by 11 other roller-coaster riders. His injuries and welts from the ride's chest restraint appeared to be typical of the injuries suffered by others.

"It's mostly bumps and bruises," said Joe Kelley, a spokesman for Bethesda. By 9:30 p.m., 20 of the 27 known patients at area hospitals were treated and released, officials said.

Not everyone was as lucky.

Shaffer's sister-in-law Crissie Lorick, 29, suffered a broken chest bone. She was going to be spending the night at the hospital.

A few others like Lorick couldn't walk and had to be removed by stretcher.

Bethesda Medical Center at Arrow Springs saw 10 patients. All were expected to be released late Sunday. It was unclear where the additional five patients were treated. The ride holds 36 people.

The malfunction apparently put a halt - at least temporarily - to some neighboring rides.

It was not immediately known if Son of Beast would be open today.

Kings Island spokeswoman Maureen Kaiser said the ride had been inspected Sunday morning before the park opened.

State inspectors were notified and were expected to begin an investigation this morning.

After the incident, families slowly poured out of the park.

Some were visibly shaken by what they saw.

"Our friend was on it," said a teary-eyed Alisha Wright, 12, of Monroe. She and friends Kristen Walters, 12, who is visiting from Myrtle Beach, and Destiny Clontz, 12, of Middletown were next in line for Son of Beast, their favorite ride.

"They (park officials) said 'Get back.' Next thing we know they were carrying her out on a stretcher."

The girls said they saw some people in neck braces and some on stretchers. They were frantic about their friends and thankful they hadn't been farther up in line.

They said a park worker told them the metal loop had become slightly dislodged from the wooden part of the track. Officials could not confirm that.

The girls said that although it's a little bumpy, the Son of Beast is their favorite ride. Now, they say they'll never ride it again.

Other parkgoers weren't so easily deterred.

"No doubt," said Eric Ross, 13, of Loveland, when asked if he would get on Son of Beast if it re-opens. He was planning to ride the coaster for the first time Sunday night. He and his friend Jake Cornett, 13, also of Loveland, were riding the nearby Drop Zone when they heard the ambulances.

"We looked down and we saw people being carried away on stretchers," Jake said.

Source: The Enquirer

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#2 Ace o Spades

Ace o Spades

Lead Engineer

• 2885 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 02:29 PM

Ouch...I always thought that the transition there wasn't very smart.

#3 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 02:50 PM

I guess we won't be seeing any more loops on wooden coasters any time soon. That's too bad. I don't want it to be torn down like everyone else because I haven't ridden it yet. I hope those people are okay now.

#4 Shamu

Shamu

Lead Engineer

• 1439 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 03:38 PM

Wow. For once it's the ride's fault.

SSCoasters Veteran

Coming Eventually.
There's a new storm a-brewin'...
Update 12/16/09

Posted Image

#5 PlatinumCoasters

PlatinumCoasters

Architect

• 352 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 04:13 PM

That sucks so bad. It is so horrible when these kinds of things happen. I cannot remember the last accident where a ride caused damage like this.

- Gavin

[URL="http://www.freewebs.com/platinumcoasters"]http://www.freewebs.com/platinumcoasters[/URL]

Posted Image

#6 rollercoasterdan

rollercoasterdan

Carella: Coming Soon

• 465 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 04:49 PM

^Big Thunder Mountain Accident that killed a guy^

Anyways, it was nothing life threatening, i dont see why its getting SO much attention, It seems its quite normal too, coming of the ride with chest pain...

Posted Image

^Thanks CC10^

#7 CP-ephY

CP-ephY

thumb abuser

• 2751 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 04:54 PM

Because roller coaster injuries to such an extent where the people are bleeding and having broken chest bones are not common; not to mention injuries on roller coasters in general.

Posted Image

#8 gto

gto

The best one here:-)

• 117 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:11 PM

do we have a confirmation on what happened?

#9 Top Thrill Dragster Freak

Top Thrill Dragster Freak

Lead Engineer

• 1093 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:37 PM

do we have a confirmation on what happened?

PKI won't say what happened; they just say that something has happened...

I Just want to know how pays the bills on this? Will it be Viacom, or Cedar Fair?

TTDfreak :(

#10 coastercrazy10

coastercrazy10

Mad Scientist

• 7008 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:53 PM

I heard that PKI filed a lawsuit against the manufacturors of the SOB because of all the people complaining about the roughness. It hasn't been resolved, though. I personally dont like riding SOB because of just how rough it is.

-CC10

SSCoasters Staff | The SSCoasters Forum Rules
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign | Computer Science & Mathematics
Posted Image
Fireball | Kingda Ka | Inclination | Diamondback

#11 Tyrant

Tyrant

Lead Engineer

• 2803 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:51 PM

I think anyone could have seen a 200+ WOODEN coaster being rough. I would say more their fault than the manufactures.

-Tyrant

Posted Image
Premier Rides Inc.
Service Engineer
www.mst.edu/~mscwxc

#12 TwistedDreams

TwistedDreams

*Redunk*

• 3123 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:52 PM

Wow. For once it's the ride's fault.

Yeah, who'd a though, nobody had a heart attack...
-TD

EDIT^Agreed. Simply put: stupid.
-TD

#13 gto

gto

The best one here:-)

• 117 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:53 PM

I disagree. If it was the loop getting dislodged from the track, than I would blame the designers.

#14 TwistedDreams

TwistedDreams

*Redunk*

• 3123 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:56 PM

^That's who going to get blamed. But, I still think that It was a dumb call to build it that high anyway. Why waste all that wood? You can get twice the thrill with a steel coaster, and have it be safe.
It's just a lot of little stupidness gather up into one incedent.
-TD

#15 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:30 PM

Exactly why not put something like nitro or ragin bull there??...a hyper would be alot better and smoother....I dont think loops are that great anyway I would rather have a fun twister woodie then a tall rough one...Really I think SoB is pretty stupid I mean I want to ride it yes...but its not something that I would prefer...and about the news come on...you are more likely to get struck by lightning then be in an airplane crash...and are more likely to be in an airplane crash then a roller coaster accident it just dosent happen.....

Posted Image

#16 Top Thrill Dragster Freak

Top Thrill Dragster Freak

Lead Engineer

• 1093 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:40 PM

^That's who going to get blamed. But, I still think that It was a dumb call to build it that high anyway. Why waste all that wood? You can get twice the thrill with a steel coaster, and have it be safe.
It's just a lot of little stupidness gather up into one incedent.
-TD

If we would have had the view of things, we would still be riding coasters, like the Russians! Sleds and Ice! Sure sounds like fun to me! :tmbs Yes, we sometimes need to learn the hard way that we can't do that with wood; but just think! If SOB had never been built, we wouldn't know what a wooden coaster would feel like with a loop...

TTDfreak

#17 PlatinumCoasters

PlatinumCoasters

Architect

• 352 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:37 PM

[quote= but just think! If SOB had never been built, we wouldn't know what a wooden coaster would feel like with a loop...

TTDfreak[/quote]

Like a steel coaster?, j/k:).

I agree, I think it was dumb to build it, but also a waste of material. Coasters can use a lot less material by going to steel, and produce a very exciting ride. Like B&M coasters, with their tubular support structures.

- Gavin

[URL="http://www.freewebs.com/platinumcoasters"]http://www.freewebs.com/platinumcoasters[/URL]

Posted Image

#18 Spinout

Spinout

800+ Posts

• 1085 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:31 AM

This is pretty sad though. Good thing no one was killed. Adding onto what platinum said, it gives a way more smooth ride. I wonder if SoB will be re-opened.

Posted Image

#19 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:01 AM

Official: Cracked Wood May Have Caused Coaster Accident

Cracked and splintered wood may have caused the roller coaster accident that injured 27 people at Kings Island Sunday afternoon, according to a preliminary investigation.

The Department of Agriculture, along with state and industry experts were investigating the wooden coaster "Son of Beast" on Monday, trying to find out what caused a train full of passengers to jolt to a halt around 4:45 p.m. Sunday.

Two people remained in the hospital Monday, suffering from injuries described as not life-threatening. At least 25 others were treated and released Sunday.

Monday's preliminary investigation revealed that timbers were cracked and splintered on a downward hill about halfway through the ride. The jolt happened shortly after the train passed over those faulty timbers, 9News learned.

"Everything was fine until it felt like everything jammed forward," said Weldon Shaffer, who was on the "Son of Beast" when the accident happened.

Structural damage causes ten percent of roller coaster accidents, a public relations spokesperson told Channel 9's Deb Silverman.

Investigators still say they're not ruling any other causes out, such as operator error.

"Son of Beast" has been closed since the accident and might remain closed for as long as six weeks while the investigation continues.

Sunday at the park

The park remained open Sunday even though the ride had been shut down. Empty cars could still be seen suspended on an incline going up the roller coaster's track.

Witnesses say they saw the roller coaster stop with a "bump," like a car coming to an abrupt stop.

Several rescue squads were called to the amusement park which is just off I-71 in Warren County.

Dozens of EMS units from Hamilton and Warren counties as well as local townships took people to Bethesda North Hospital in Montgomery where the staff was on "high alert."

Seventeen riders had been released from hospitals within five hours of the accident and at least one had been admitted with injuries that weren't life-threatening, Maureen Kaiser, a spokeswoman for the park said.

However, 9News learned that the people admitted were being kept at the hospital overnight.

Twelve people were taken to Bethesda North Hospital and 10 were taken to Bethesda Medical Center in Lebanon, said Mona Fuqua, a spokeswoman for both hospitals.

Witnesses and park officials

While the ride has been shut down pending an inspection, Kings Island officials are not commenting on why the ride was at first not operational when the amusement park first opened Sunday morning.

"Why it didn't open directly with the park, I don't have the answer to that," Kaiser said at the Sunday night press conference.

Some visitors claimed they experienced an abnormally bumpy ride even before the ride's apparent malfunction Sunday afternoon.

"I know for a fact that our car jumped tracks," Frank Nitty, a park visitor told 9News. "It jumped the tracks, we all jumped."

Kings Island has reportedly seen three malfunctions with the "Son of Beast" roller coaster since it opened six years ago, but none this serious.

The park filed a lawsuit against the ride's builder before it opened, stating it was structurally unsound.

"Bumps and bruises"

"At this point, we're looking at bumps and bruises," she said.

Several others were taken to Mercy Hospital of Fairfield, a sheriff's dispatcher said.

A nursing supervisor at the hospital declined to describe their conditions or even confirm park patrons were brought there.

9News was told many of the passengers complained of head and neck injuries.

Fastest wooden coaster on earth

The park's website describes the roller coaster as "the tallest, fastest and only looping wooden coaster on the planet" that hurtles down a 214-foot hill at more than 78 mph.

The coaster, more than 7,000 feet long, features a 118-foot tall loop.

Kaiser said park officials have shut down the Son of Beast roller coaster and are examining it.

Investigators with the Ohio Department of Agriculture's ride safety division also were planning to examine the ride, she said.

Riders complained of discomfort after the coaster completed a circuit and pulled back into the boarding area, said Kaiser.

The park's emergency staff tended to the riders and notified authorities, Kaiser said.

A sheriff's office dispatcher said most had minor chest and neck injuries.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#20 Tyrant

Tyrant

Lead Engineer

• 2803 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:52 AM

Cracked wood is defintily something that should have been seen by the parks carpenters in the morning. I know that our carpenters at Six Flags St. Louis are out there every morning walking the entire track tapping the wood looking for soft spots. I would know, I have been out there with them once last year walking the Boss. That was a fun experience, show up at the park at 6am, spent 2 hours walking the tracks. We found loose bolts, missing bolts, etc. And the carpenters would just go and replace them or tighten loosend nails, screws, bolts, etc.

Even yesterday the Boss opened up a little late because the carpenters took some time to replace a few support beams that were starting to show cracks.

So to me there seems to be no excuse for PKI here.

-Tyrant

Posted Image
Premier Rides Inc.
Service Engineer
www.mst.edu/~mscwxc