Screamin' Serpent Car Redesign

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 Tyrant

Tyrant

Lead Engineer

• 2803 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:12 PM

Update: Redesigned the Bogie once again due to a flaw that Ron pointed out. This time it incorporates small Thrust Bearings and retaining rings. So is going to require ordering some hardware from MSC and Grainger.

The car is deigned to fit and be fully functional with the current SSC track and chain. The air gap now between the wheels and the track is about 1/3 that of the original. The original trains have about 1/8" gap between each wheel, these trains now have about 1/24" gap. Its getting quite exciting to see this thing start to come together.

Since I am quite sure the bogies are done, starting to work on the body and chassis. I will be going with a uni-body design similar to the current SSC cars with part intergration between the joints. So pretty much going to design the joint fittings to match the current ones so if those joints break, all you have to do is replace it off of one of your own cars.

Also trying to get some price quotes for small-quanity plastic production by another company. Since I may indeed try selling this and other "kits" later on if there is a substantial intrest.

-Tyrant

Posted Image
Premier Rides Inc.
Service Engineer
www.mst.edu/~mscwxc

#22 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:45 PM

^That is great to hear that you will be selling these if there is interest...I am sure there will be...Also I really like that you are including the same joints as the orginal car...That just makes this even better...

Posted Image

#23 Brian684501

Brian684501

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:31 PM

sounds good, can;t wait to see pics of the finished cars, i would 2 trains when their done.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Under Construction:
Project X
Future Projects
Berzerko (4-dimension)
Medusa (floorless)
Project Sky (rocket launch)

#24 imakecoasters

imakecoasters

2X "Most Entertaining"

• 3797 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:37 PM

I hope I have money for them. I also hope my mom lets me get them. I really want a few.

-IMC-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#25 coastergeekrtc

coastergeekrtc

A God Among Users

• 2653 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:53 PM

I like how everyone is preordering them before Tyrant is even sure he can produce multiple cars. I know that it can be very expensive to produce multiple parts...it's all based upon the precision and complication of the design. I know I've seen it cost around $5000 for 1000-2000 ties the size of the CD ties. While he will not be making that many cars, Tyrant will have to pay a lot for the molds and material. So don't get your hopes up just yet.

*Insert signature here*

#26 Tyrant

Tyrant

Lead Engineer

• 2803 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:07 PM

Yea, that is why I am trying to get price quotes from various companies, but before I can really get a good estimate, the design has to be finished. If I find it is too expensive to consider getting manufactured in quanities by an outside supplier, I may try doing my own plastic molding with some help from the University.

Right now I have printed out my drawings of the wheel bogies as it stands onto some stiff paper and I am making a mockup of the wheel assemblies so I can see what is the best spacing for the wheels on the final model. It looks pretty nice. Here is a picture:

Posted Image

There should definitly be some major progress on the entire car by the end of this weekend. Since my final drawings and such are due on Tuesday (Nov 14th).

-Tyrant

Posted Image
Premier Rides Inc.
Service Engineer
www.mst.edu/~mscwxc

#27 Yakkers

Yakkers

Pwniez > Ponies

• 181 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:37 PM

Will the wheels be tighter on the rails than the original SS car?

Posted Image
Sig drawn by me! Hooray for pixel art!

#28 Tyrant

Tyrant

Lead Engineer

• 2803 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:25 PM

As said several posts ago.

The car is deigned to fit and be fully functional with the current SSC track and chain. The air gap now between the wheels and the track is about 1/3 that of the original. The original trains have about 1/8" gap between each wheel, these trains now have about 1/24" gap. Its getting quite exciting to see this thing start to come together.

-Tyrant

Posted Image
Premier Rides Inc.
Service Engineer
www.mst.edu/~mscwxc

#29 smallish

smallish

Entry Engineer

• 614 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:30 PM

How many cars will you be making? Will the back ones have one set of wheels like the original train?

Posted Image

#30 Tyrant

Tyrant

Lead Engineer

• 2803 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:44 AM

Right now just a lead car and the main car. There won't be a different "end" car like the SSC. The cars will be very similar in the Intamin Accelerator cars, such as Xcelerator, Rita, TTD (without the giant nose), Speed Monster, Storm Runner, and Kanonen.

After spending at least 3 hours cutting out, trimming, and gluing together the mockups, I can finally have something to work off of as far as minimum sizes and such so I can start work on the body.

Posted Image

-Tyrant

Posted Image
Premier Rides Inc.
Service Engineer
www.mst.edu/~mscwxc

#31 flat_cat63

flat_cat63

Lurking More

• 269 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:08 AM

It doesn't "hug" the car as close to the track as the old wheels, that for sure.

Only problem I have with them, so far. Otherwise, it's great.

Enjoy.

#32 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:12 AM

It doesn't "hug" the car as close to the track as the old wheels, that for sure.

Only problem I have with them, so far. Otherwise, it's great.

You mean that Tyrant enlarged the gaps between wheels and track?
Then you're very wrong. It's just that the paper mock-ups are not precise.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#33 TwistedDreams

TwistedDreams

*Redunk*

• 3123 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:13 AM

^^Dude, are you smoking? The gaps between the original ss car and the track, and the new car and the track are like waaaay diferent, but Tyrants is way freakin closer...
-TD

#34 knex-man

knex-man

Dutch Details employee

• 573 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:56 AM

This is realy amazing, I know for a fact that these coaster trains will loose less speed as the screaming serpent car.

BTW: It is Screaming Serpent and not Screaming Serpant.

#35 Zorn

Zorn

I build stuff

• 1108 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:13 AM

^Actually it's Screamin serpent There is no "g" at the end of screamin

Check me out

Youtube

#36 knex-man

knex-man

Dutch Details employee

• 573 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:32 AM

^Yes, you are right.
Screamin(_) Serpent

#37 NitroRyder33

NitroRyder33

zoom-zoom

• 2259 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:41 AM

I'm sure something as small as a spelling error is the least of Tyrant's worries.

-Ryan

Posted Image

.:Zoom.Zoom.Forever:.

#38 Ace o Spades

Ace o Spades

Lead Engineer

• 2885 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:18 PM

Agreed. Don't be so anal.

Looks amazing Tyrant, almost just like the Intamin bogies.

#39 PlanetSaturn56

PlanetSaturn56

Rockin' your world.

• 2391 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:26 PM

shouldn't the wheels be loose for loops or inverts??? or maybe not, idk, but still. also, how thick will the wheels be??

Having fun at other people's expense

#40 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:03 AM

^That is the purpose of the pivet joints...

Posted Image