hobbies or for a career

coaster knex roller

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: knex building

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

knex building

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

mili force 10 years late.

• 2879 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:14 PM

just for fun.

or

Are you building knex coasters for experience for your carer building/planning coasters.

I'm just for fun.

#2 PlanetSaturn56

PlanetSaturn56

Rockin' your world.

• 2391 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:36 PM

A little bit of both. For fun if I'm bored. But for a career as an engineer...if I pass math!

-PS56:king

Having fun at other people's expense

#3 CP-ephY

CP-ephY

thumb abuser

• 2751 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:42 PM

I definitely am aiming to be a coaster designer, but I don't see how k'nex builds the experience. It's not as if it's something you'd put on a professional resume.

Posted Image

#4 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

• 2879 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:44 PM

I definitely am aiming to be a coaster designer, but I don't see how k'nex builds the experience. It's not as if it's something you'd put on a professional resume.

well I mean like getting experience with the names and shapes of the coaster elements ,and how to use them.

#5 Cardsandcoasters

Cardsandcoasters

Frission Is Here

• 1537 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:45 PM

Just for fun, but I'd like to be a coaster designer when I am older.
-CAC

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Rollerdude!

#6 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

• 2879 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:48 PM

Just for fun, but I'd like to be a coaster designer when I am older.
-CAC

Yeah it would be fun to be a coaster designer but it is a lot of work.

#7 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

Nothing really to add to this.

You don't have to build to get to know the elements' names. So Burrito, that's not a good argument to build.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#8 RCmaniac31

RCmaniac31

a "Six Flags" day?

• 592 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:20 PM

yeah knex cant really teach you anything for the future.
it does get you to design and use you imagination but thats pretty much it.
otherwise ssc is actually where you guys(burrito) are getting the info

RC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image
Top Five:
Millennium Force
Top Thrill Dragster
Maverick
Tatsu
Raging Bull

Have a Six Flags Day!

#9 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

• 2879 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:48 PM

Nothing really to add to this.

You don't have to build to get to know the elements' names. So Burrito, that's not a good argument to build.

I wasn't I was giving him the reason why I posted this. It seams that this was a stupid question to ask so if you want to close/delete this topic by all means go ahead.

#10 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:15 PM

I think its a good topic...

Building knex definently doesnt hurt your knowledge of roller coasters, if anything it does give you more of an understanding of the elements.

Check out my blog: Life Is A Roller Coaster

(Coaster count: 504)

Blitzen Cyber Chase Prowler Tuscarora Ra: God of Sun Jersey Thunder Phoenix La Bestia Ripsaw

#11 Tyrant

Tyrant

Lead Engineer

• 2803 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:09 AM

Playing with knex did nothing to help my career as a roller coaster designer. What it did do was help my career as an engineer, which is what a roller coaster designer does. It helps hone problem solving skills, working with limited funds (limited parts), coming up with creative solutions to tricky problems, and learning how to design for assembly (in a way). Ask almost any engineer, as a kid they played with Legos, Erector Sets, and Knex almost religiously.

Is knex something I put on my resume? Actually, yea, I talked a lot about the LSM project I had going, and the coaster car redesign project, as well as the various other little things I made for the knex platform (drill launch, etc.) and my employer was pretty impressed with it I think. But it isn't just knex that helps with engineering, tear down a beater car, build it back up. Join a Robotics team at your high school, or a Lego FIRST team at your middle school if you have one. There are lots of other extra-curricular things that are just as fun as working with knex.

P.S. knowing the names of elements and how to build them doesn't help at all in roller coaster engineering. By the time you get to the point of actually doing coaster design, its all in the language of 3d Kinematics and space curves, 2nd and 3rd order continuity, bezier curves, etc. etc.

-Tyrant

Posted Image
Premier Rides Inc.
Service Engineer
www.mst.edu/~mscwxc

#12 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:49 AM

I Agree,
I'm good in every aspect that makes a coaster designer,
but I'm not sure how doing this can really point you toward a Career in it,
theres such a difference,
K'nex often needs more supporting than Metal, Metal is rather Rigid itself,
and if you supported a real coaster like we do K'nex ones,
It'd either be a woodie, or stupidly expensive.

Id love to be a coaster designer.. :(

#13 eliavlevy

eliavlevy

Long time, no build. :\

• 950 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:56 AM

I am planning to be a coaster designer, mainly because after I finish next year (Age 15) 5 units of math and right after that before the army finish a first degree in engineering.

Posted Image
Thanks CC10

#14 AvalancheX

AvalancheX

81 Rides on KK

• 163 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:22 PM

I use K'nex for fun. It didn't really teach me anything about how real coasters work though. I knew that stuff long before I got into K'nex again.

Tyrant, very interesting post. Good to know that spending hours on the floor snapping track pieces together actually has some merit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Credit to CC10

#15 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

• 2879 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:44 PM

I think its a good topic...

Building knex definently doesnt hurt your knowledge of roller coasters, if anything it does give you more of an understanding of the elements.

thats how I see it.

#16 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

• 2879 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:51 PM

Playing with knex did nothing to help my career as a roller coaster designer. What it did do was help my career as an engineer, which is what a roller coaster designer does. It helps hone problem solving skills, working with limited funds (limited parts), coming up with creative solutions to tricky problems, and learning how to design for assembly (in a way). Ask almost any engineer, as a kid they played with Legos, Erector Sets, and Knex almost religiously.

Is knex something I put on my resume? Actually, yea, I talked a lot about the LSM project I had going, and the coaster car redesign project, as well as the various other little things I made for the knex platform (drill launch, etc.) and my employer was pretty impressed with it I think. But it isn't just knex that helps with engineering, tear down a beater car, build it back up. Join a Robotics team at your high school, or a Lego FIRST team at your middle school if you have one. There are lots of other extra-curricular things that are just as fun as working with knex.

P.S. knowing the names of elements and how to build them doesn't help at all in roller coaster engineering. By the time you get to the point of actually doing coaster design, its all in the language of 3d Kinematics and space curves, 2nd and 3rd order continuity, bezier curves, etc. etc.

-Tyrant

yeah thats all very true. I don't go to a public school (I'm home schooled)so I cant get in to those groups and I don't entirely want to be a coaster designer.

I'm thinking about being a 3d artist unfortuneatly(sp?) I'm not that good at it.

I'm also interested in circuitry/electrical engineering.

#17 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:20 PM

I'm also interested in circuitry/electrical engineering.

Electrical engineering can be quite hard, trust me. Mainly because it's very abstract; you can't touch currents or voltages.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#18 NitroRyder33

NitroRyder33

zoom-zoom

• 2259 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:24 PM

Next year I plan on shifting my college major over to Civil Engineering, to help me get my foot in to the door of designing roller coasters.

Posted Image

.:Zoom.Zoom.Forever:.

#19 Maverix

Maverix

Aieght

• 2281 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:12 PM

i want to be a coaster designer but right now its mostly for fun and to kind of learn how to deal with situations as they come up when desgning a coaster so i say it can help you with some of the problem solving like Tyrant said but nothing to major.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 10 Coasters:
1. Intimidator 305 2. Maverick 3. Storm Runner 4. Millennium Force 5. Gatekeeper
6. Diamondback 7. Manta 8. Wild Eagle 9. Thunderhead 10. Apollos Chariot

#20 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:57 PM

I find engineering and mathematics more helpful when it comes to getting in the roller coaster business.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg