coaster custom

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

#1 VV Khan

VV Khan

HI!

• 1673 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:37 AM

Hello, I am currently working on my 1st (hopefully) completed custom coaster as I have made lots of instructions ones, made a few custom ones but gave up on them. I need ideas for what type of coaster it should be. It obviously can't be a woodie because the chain has already been built. It jerks a bit and the green motor moves all over the place when its on. Heres a picture and I might put a video on youtube showing my chain problem. Thanks!
Posted Image
EDIT:Soryy for huge pics, its my first time, I will edit them next time. :)

#2 VV Khan

VV Khan

HI!

• 1673 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:01 AM

Sorry for the double post (if this is a double post, I'm not sure because im a n00bzor) but here are is an overview of the lift and my pieces left, IDEAS IDEAS IDEAS is all i need. Remember I have 3 cars / 2 cars not sure yet and pledge wipes for when im testing.
Posted Image
Posted Image

sorry again for large pictures I will figure that out.

#3 eliavlevy

eliavlevy

Long time, no build. :\

• 950 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:04 AM

It looks good, just too things.
How to fix your chain problem:
Move the red motor to the green one, so you can have 2 motors on one rod, thus it will probably stop the jerking.
On the lift hill, you might want to switch the lower 3D connectors (The ones on the side that is closer to the floor) to yellow/gray half-moon connectors, so the lift hill will not be a little bent inside. Either that, or just support it more. But you don't need to support it more, so just do what I said. Hope I don't sound too evil, as this is only a constructive comment :)

EDIT: Now that I see the amount of your pieces, I strongly suggest you start with something lower, say just cut off of the lift hill 3 green rods (height), so you will have enough pieces to continue.
-Eliav

Posted Image
Thanks CC10

#4 VV Khan

VV Khan

HI!

• 1673 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:10 AM

ok! sure will do but im still a bit confused as to what you mean with the half moon connectors. Do you mean on the the whole side facing towards me change the 3d ones to halfmoons and then snap a green rod to save 3d connectors?

#5 VV Khan

VV Khan

HI!

• 1673 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:12 AM

Oh sorry for double posting again ( I'm still not sure if this is double posting or not ) but i do have about another 300-500 green/red rods

#6 eliavlevy

eliavlevy

Long time, no build. :\

• 950 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:24 AM

I mean the whole side facing towards the supporting tower. Not only to save the 3D connectors, but to make the lift hill straighter and not slump a bit down.

I am afraid that if you want to make a successful coaster, you still need to start smaller, like I said, with maybe a lift hill of 5 rods height.

Yes, double posting is posting, and posting again after 3 hours or less. To prevent this, you have the "edit" button, which is place at the right bottom part of the post.
Click that, and change your post.

Posted Image
Thanks CC10

#7 VV Khan

VV Khan

HI!

• 1673 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:41 AM

ok thanks, I have also put yellow half moons and some granite/red rods on the floor connecting the bottom of the lift to the support tower and I will go change the lift hill now, thank. But also, if I start small at like 5 green rods height, I will not have muc speed to even finish the circuit, can you please give me some ideas?

#8 DJMK

DJMK

Lead Engineer

• 1604 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:37 AM

I'm not sure if you're understanding what Eliav is telling you to do.
Here: Posted Image

Underneath the lift, instead of 3D connectors, there and half moon connectors.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Coaster55

Coaster55

Aminspec Employee

• 1591 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:57 AM

You could also save some pieces on your lift supports by taking out the metallics in the main tower. Look at the support on the picture above to see what I mean.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 VV Khan

VV Khan

HI!

• 1673 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:54 AM

Oh ok thanks I see that now, I've got some updates now to show you, I have shortened the lift to about 5-6 metallic green rods high, I'vegot the chain running smoothly but I have only done half of what Eliav told me to do because I haven't taken away the 3d connectors but what I have done is snapped a green metallic rod on the 3d connectors on both sides so I need to take away the 3ds and replace them with half moons. Thanks for your help guys,the pic below shows you were I am, Cheers.

Posted Image

+-+ VV Khan +-+
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Rollerdude!^

[acexxaced] 8:03 pm: why couldnt suzy tide a bike?
[acexxaced] 8:03 pm: *ride
[VV Khan] 8:03 pm: dunno
[RollerBoaster] 8:03 pm: She broke her leg
[acexxaced] 8:03 pm: because she had no legs
[Jplaz] 8:03 pm: shes a woman

Jplaz = Win.

All the cool kids have cancer.

#11 Coaster55

Coaster55

Aminspec Employee

• 1591 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:16 AM

You should take the same crest from the bigger lift, and put it on the new one. The crest you have now is too sharp.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 VV Khan

VV Khan

HI!

• 1673 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:29 AM

Ok I've done that the crest looks much better. Now for the real building to begin. I'm thinking of either a heartlined drop (curved) like in the screamin serpent except much better supported, maybe a corkscrew through the lift into a station parallel the lift and then small banked turn into the lift OR drop into an overbanked turn, loop and then a bunny hill into station. small banked turn into lift? which one sounds better

+-+ VV Khan +-+
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Rollerdude!^

Jplaz = Win.

#13 Coaster55

Coaster55

Aminspec Employee

• 1591 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:00 PM

The layout with the overbank sounds better, but will take more pieces and will be harder. If you update us along the way you could probably do it.

Also, tighten your chain a little and put it inside of the supports, like you did on the first lift.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 VV Khan

VV Khan

HI!

• 1673 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:04 PM

Ok will do, I will start bulding and fixing. So, Drop down then overbank, loop / 360 helix maybe? then station. If i do run out of pieces not to orry because i have 200 grey granite rods on their way along with 75 grey one end connectors ( for ball factory ) and 3 lengths of 54 inch tubing on their way :) with 13 pounds left over :) it cost about the same for those 3 things. Anyways off I go I'll update when I've finsihed the drop. Cheers

+-+ VV Khan +-+
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Rollerdude!^

Jplaz = Win.

#15 mophead999

mophead999

Maker of small coasters

• 369 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:06 PM

On the lift take out the 3ds on the bottom and replace them with halfmoons

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gracias CC10!:banit
Coasters:
Serpents Screw(complete)
Biohazard(complete)
Airstrike(under construction)
Journey to the sun(design)

#16 Jplaz

Jplaz

Metaphysical Prophet

• 2776 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:47 PM

That's the same layout I'm using on my coaster...
Oh well, you can use it...

Posted Image

#17 VV Khan

VV Khan

HI!

• 1673 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:30 PM

really? which one. Sorry bout that I didnt know. And oh yeah I forgot to halfmoon those 3d connectors down the bottom. Thanks. UPDATES Oh and down the bottom i forgot to fill in that support so dont worry its fixed now lol :P
The crest is better now dont worry.
Posted Image
Please tell me how to get rid of this bump :(
Posted Image

+-+ VV Khan +-+
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Rollerdude!^

Jplaz = Win.

#18 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:35 PM

you see the green/red rod connection? take it off, and then unnatatch the purple track, and the central track and reattatch and smooth, should look better,
although im not an expert, so check it over first ;)

#19 DJMK

DJMK

Lead Engineer

• 1604 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

I would recommend using the same base rod, and not switching with blue rods and granites.
It won't stress the pieces.

I think that will make it smoother too.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 VV Khan

VV Khan

HI!

• 1673 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:47 PM

Ok so just basically have it the same sort of layout as the lift hill excpet give it a curve?
Actually, yeah I think I'll redo the whole drop, what do you guys think? I probably rushed that part a bit, I mean honestly, I have another 2 weeks of holidays :)

+-+ VV Khan +-+
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Rollerdude!^

Jplaz = Win.