knex looper

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#61 CoasterBuilder

CoasterBuilder

Aminspec Employee

• 659 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:41 PM

Okay, here's a my longest post ever, but just stay with me. But before I begin on this long rant, I just want to give a big "Thank you" for all the comments above.

To sum everything up, I'm not too happy with how it looks from certain angles. The pics previously posted looked pretty good, but now, I took some more pics from different angles to show what I mean. I'm really going to need some help with figuring out what to do.

Yea I think you might have been looking at it too much.

No, not this time. I really think the pictures are making it look too good

and yay! another soocer player!
:D

Soccer players, unite! :)

I feel like I started something.

Yeah, I told you in our PM's that this support style really is going be the next big thing. Now, I assume your still going to continue with that idea that I mentioned to you later this fall? ;)

Posted Image

If you can't tell, this pic has a straight part in the pullup. I believe its just the angle, but it really bothers me since it is so easily noticeable from an angle that many of my friends/family/etc. will see.

Posted Image

This pic also has its own problems. Let me start off by saying that the pullup has been since corrected and is straight as can be. Also, from the way the supports are, I cannot move the pullout any closer to the pullin, otherwise it will hit a support on the pullin. Finally, I wish I could make it higher so it wouldn't be so close to the lift, but it doesn't make it as is. This would ruin any plans of 2 train operation if I continue with the loop.

Anyways, I really need all the advice and suggestions on this as possible. Right now, I'm actually leaning towards doing a custom element. In essence, it would be a mixture of loop and immelmann, but I know the train would easily make it and I would be able to have 2 train operation.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My SSC Gallery

Thunderstruck Video

Currently Working On: Calypso

#62 lilmikemarin

lilmikemarin

Altitu... Fuzion !

• 1484 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:33 AM

Sorry, but I really don't know what to do. But if I could ask, can we get a direct side view? Also, how far does it make it? It looks like the pull-in isn't really supported.

And, you said that angle bothers you because a lot of people will see it? Its not like they know what a perfect loop looks like, lol

Posted Image
My Coasters:
Zepto! - Gallery
Turbulence - Gallery , Video
Grizzly - Gallery , Video

#63 Coaster55

Coaster55

Aminspec Employee

• 1591 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:48 AM

For the 2 train problem, you could do what I did with SheiKra and have the chain stop halfway through the station so it doesn't leave the station until the next train pushes it out. You could do this in the brake run to for 3 trains, but only 1 would be running.

Just try to support it as much as you can and use triple flexi's when ever you can, it should help.

Have you tried weights?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#64 CoasterBuilder

CoasterBuilder

Aminspec Employee

• 659 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:57 AM

^^ The front of a 4 car train makes it to the highest point. This is without any lubing, weighting, or as you pointed out, the extra support on the pullup. I took out a few supports on the pullup when I was tweaking the proportions (before I even posted pics of the loop), and still have yet to redo these supports for the new pullup.

As for that one angle, its just an eyesore for me. The coaster is meant to be my flawless masterpiece, and that straight part just isn't helping. I'll have a direct side view later on.

^ I wish I could just use that method for 2 trains, but I have much more complex plans for the coaster. Thats just another secret of mine that'll be revealed in due time...

And about the support, I plan on using grey rods as flexis on the entire drop and loop, ontop of a bunch of other stuff for maximum support. But before I can start on that, I need to decide on the plans and get the entire shape of the element done first.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My SSC Gallery

Thunderstruck Video

#65 TripleHelix

TripleHelix

Do a barrel roll!

• 2241 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:28 PM

Why not move some supports and make it a slightly inclined loop? Then it would be a little shorter and have more clearance over the lift.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image
Coaster Count: 79

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

THIS TEXT IS A LIE!

#66 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:02 PM

Push the support back a bit it should get rid of the straight part...

-Rct2123:cool:

Posted Image

#67 CoasterBuilder

CoasterBuilder

Aminspec Employee

• 659 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:01 PM

Wow, I had to dig back 18 pages and nearly 8 months ago to find this topic. But as my title has stated for awhile now, this project is "Still Alive" (Portal, anyone?). Anyways, in this time, I've made some slow, but gradual progress. The loop is done and half of the over bank. From here, I don't have a set layout, as I'm low on space. Any suggestions for the rest of the layout are very welcomed. But enough talking, lets get to the pics (sorry for any blurriness).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, if a mod could rename this thread "Calypso", that would be great.

Oh, and forgot to mention it, but the train actually makes it this time, even without lube and weights :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My SSC Gallery

Thunderstruck Video

#68 MP thrill rides

MP thrill rides

Lead Engineer

• 1973 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:10 PM

You could of just gone to your user page and looked at all the threads you made. Thats Weird, I was just looking at this thread today wondering if you were going to make this. It looks pretty sweet so far. Although, the loop could use some work. It looks bumpy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#69 Renegade

Renegade

Valleyfair Poster!

• 323 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:10 PM

Loop is still oddly shaped. Think of it as an egg shaped type of loop. Yours right now is the shape of a potato chip. Other than that everything looks fairly fluent.

Posted Image
Valleyfair's Most Comprehensive Online Guide!

Dude... Really? Now you're giving Guitarist a reason to post...

#70 G Force

G Force

Yea Man

• 1098 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:14 PM

I'm so happy your still building this. The top of the loop is a little wierd but it looks amazing, Great work!

#71 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

Ah, Still alive.

I did this cover a while back at school.

Also greatcoaster, I realy like the 3th picture, the loop looks a little sharp at the top though.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#72 Coaster55

Coaster55

Aminspec Employee

• 1591 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

Raise the top half of the loop a little and it should fix the problem. The pull up to the over bank looks like it might have a sharp spot, but it could just be the angle.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#73 imakecoasters

imakecoasters

2X "Most Entertaining"

• 3797 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:28 PM

Wow, I completely missed this. It looks very beautiful. I've always loved your style. I did notice that the loop looks a little different. It almost looks too tall and un-symmetrical. I could be wrong. Maybe just tinker with the shape. The second picture in your last update makes it looks weird.

-IMC-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#74 CoasterBuilder

CoasterBuilder

Aminspec Employee

• 659 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:54 PM

Well, I see that many of you suggest the loop needs a little work, and I do agree, but I need some more precise suggestions to fix it. I took this pic exactly perpendicular to the loop (but at 45* to the lift). Sorry for the low resolution, I had to take it with my phone.

Posted Image

My biggest issue with it is the clearance of the lift. Since it's at 45* to the lift, the loop comes close to hitting the lift on the right side, but not the left. Thanks for all the comments, now lets keep them coming!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My SSC Gallery

Thunderstruck Video

#75 Mikecoastermaniac

Mikecoastermaniac

Where'd He Go?

• 1770 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

Honestly it looks like you can just reshape it and smooth things out, without taking anything apart. Just try and go over it and get it to the shape you want. Then use the strengthening technique.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Watch My Coasters!

http://youtube.com/u...CoasterCreation

MaXair732865 (9:31:57 PM): seriously, i need a really compact layout
TehMike23 (9:32:07 PM):drop, loop, diveloop, zero-g, up into break run, helix..
MaXair732865 (9:32:12 PM): im not going to post this, dont worry
TehMike23 (9:32:15 PM): cockscrew, then station
MaXair732865 (9:32:28 PM): cockscrew? what the hell is that?
MaXair732865 (9:32:44 PM): sexuall? Innuendo much?
MaXair732865 (9:32:55 PM): Dang
TehMike23 (9:33:06 PM): ahahahah

My Top 5 Coasters
1-Maverick
2-Top Thrill Dragster
3-Millenium Force
4-Griffon
5-Apollos Chariot

#76 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

mili force 10 years late.

• 2879 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

The top is a little shabby the highest point is way of center.

Also try to make the top more round and a little bigger.

#77 Coasteradict

Coasteradict

The hate sign

• 1883 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:13 AM

I'VE TAKEN THAT NAME! *evils*

(But you can use it :P)

The loop looks crap and it has a straightish part at the top.

-CA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Immelmann

#78 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:31 AM

I like it, lol, fix the top of the loop, please,
then after that it's all good..

#79 CoasterBuilder

CoasterBuilder

Aminspec Employee

• 659 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:03 PM

Okay, I did some very basic reshaping by hand, but the top still needs some work, i know. I've been using this picture of Led Zepplin's loop for comparison (since I couldn't find a good pic of Kumba's loop around the lift). So far, it looks slightly better, at least in my opinion. I'm considering moving the supports a little further back, but I would rather not mess with it too much. With this likely being my last coaster, I want everything to be absolutely PERFECT.

Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My SSC Gallery

Thunderstruck Video

#80 kingsisland101

kingsisland101

Construction Foreman

• 158 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:14 PM

Why will this coaster be your last coaster?

90% of all teens would cry if Myspace or Facebook were destroyed. If you are one of the 10% that would sit and laugh put this in your signature