motors

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:53 PM

I need help with the motors to pull the train up the lift hill. I tried two motors but it still doesnt go very fast. I have seen some drills and some treker motor (not sure what that is). Any other suggestions on how to make faster motors?

#2 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

mili force 10 years late.

• 2879 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:01 PM

The screamin' serpent motors will not go any faster than they do without pulling a chain.

the trekker motor is a duel speed motor it will pull most any car up a hill it uses 4 AA batteries.

There's also a plug in motor that has a crazy amount of power.

#3 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:02 PM

Hi
For the tt motor
http://www.sscoaster...read.php?t=8076
For the drill
http://www.sscoaster...read.php?t=8167
Hope this helps!
^Dont tease me with the electric, motor my mom orderd one for christmas like a month ago but it has not arived:(

KCK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

1) Leviathan 2) Behemoth 3) Vortex 4) Sheikra 5) Kumba 6) Kraken 7) Montu 8) Manta 9) Dragon Fire 10) Gwazi

#4 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:03 PM

Thank you. Is the plug in motor for knex or did you modify to work? And also, where can i get the trekker motor?

#5 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:06 PM

You can either buy a more powerful motor, or use gear reduction. Using more motors won't make it go any faster, but if you attach the motor to a red gear, and make that turn a smaller blue/gold gear, then attach that to the gears that turn the chain, it will go much faster. But you will probably need to use both motors for that, because making it go faster makes it weaker, and it might damage your motors if it's too weak, let alone not get your train anywhere.

#6 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:17 PM

I tried using different gears but that didnt work either. i saw something on youtube that showed how to make it go faster using different sized gears but when i tried it, i lost the torque. it had speed but no power. can you send me a picture or something to show what you are saying so i can try that? And i knew two motors wouldnt make it go faster, but i thought that it would have double the power. But that didnt work either.

#7 Loop De Loop

Loop De Loop

Entry Engineer

• 849 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

If you look as some of my work to make it simple just use a drill or and electric screwdriver. Also you can gear the motors down.

Posted Image

^^^^Thanks Airdog^^^^

TOP TEN
Top Thrill Dragster
Incredibul Hulk
Mellenium force
Maverick
Mantis
Maginum XL200
Flight Deck
Wicked Twister
Raptor
Beast

#8 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:29 PM

^ If he geared down the motors, then it would be going slow, which he doesn't want. Im thinking you're going to need a stronger motor. But if you're using both motors, it should work fine.

Can you show us a picture of how you're doing it?

#9 Loop De Loop

Loop De Loop

Entry Engineer

• 849 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:09 PM

Put this together for you real quick. It is nothing special. It is compatable with the new and old and the TT motor. Even the plug in. So the motors will not be a problem at all.

Build this base. On the lift hill it dose not have to be on the ground or in the air. Place it where ever you want.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Now place the gears as shown.
Posted Image
Now you can put the motor on the axel with the red gear and the lift gears on the gold one to make it go fast but with lesss tork. Or you can put the motor on the gold gear and the lift gears on the red axel to make it go slower but have less tork. This can hold up to 2 motors with the gray rod. One on each side. Nothing big but a small picture that is kind of helpless but showimg you what to do. Remember that it is compatable with all motors. Maby even custom ones....
Posted Image

Hope this helps!

Posted Image

^^^^Thanks Airdog^^^^

TOP TEN
Top Thrill Dragster
Incredibul Hulk
Mellenium force
Maverick
Mantis
Maginum XL200
Flight Deck
Wicked Twister
Raptor
Beast

#10 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:57 PM

http://www.sscoaster...1&pictureid=479
This is what i did, a simple dual motor lift hill. I am goin to try your idea Loop de Loop and will get back to you. But will it be strong enough to pull 9 cars up a 5 foot tall hill. Check out my coaster, Adrenaline, that is how high it has to be able to pull them up. oh and on your pics above, where does the chain get attached?

#11 Loop De Loop

Loop De Loop

Entry Engineer

• 849 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:29 PM

I did not put the lift gears on. Like I said I did that in like 10 minuts. But if you are lifing 9 SS coaster cars up a five foot lift then you need a drill to do the job or a TT motor.

Edit: I looked at adrenaline. Thats fricking crazy for your second coaster. I declare you not a n00b.

Posted Image

^^^^Thanks Airdog^^^^

TOP TEN
Top Thrill Dragster
Incredibul Hulk
Mellenium force
Maverick
Mantis
Maginum XL200
Flight Deck
Wicked Twister
Raptor
Beast

#12 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:40 PM

Thank you. Now these TT motors, where can you get them? i checked ebay and there were none. Is it part of a set?

#13 Loop De Loop

Loop De Loop

Entry Engineer

• 849 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:09 PM

I have looked on ebay to and found one that was over 50 bucks so I said know. But it was part of a set but the set was discontinued. Looking at the circumstances of your situation I would use a drill. The one im building riht now uses a drill lift. I will get you some pictures of it tomorow. I promis.

Posted Image

^^^^Thanks Airdog^^^^

TOP TEN
Top Thrill Dragster
Incredibul Hulk
Mellenium force
Maverick
Mantis
Maginum XL200
Flight Deck
Wicked Twister
Raptor
Beast

#14 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:35 PM

No rush, i am going to be building a new coaster either tomorrow or saturday any way i could use the new motor system then. now i just have to see if we have an old drill that my dad doesnt need. Thank you. oh and if you find anywhere to buy a cheap trekker motor let me know please.

#15 SwimZONE

SwimZONE

Models of ships are hard.

• 2654 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:25 AM

could we see what/when you're building though, and post it under construction? we could then give you some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism

Posted Image
Posted Image
Maverick | X2 | Millenium Force | Top Thrill Dragster | Tatsu
Wild Thing | Renegade | Goliath | Raptor | Mantis

#16 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:58 AM

i am not really sure what i am building yet. and usually when i build them i just think it up as i go. i dont have a plan. but i will try to make something and post it.

#17 larry marak

larry marak

Construction Foreman

• 129 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:42 AM

All Terrain Trekker Motors show up on ebay several times a month. Create a search for Knex All Terrain Trekker on you ebay My Page account and you will be automatically notified when one comes up for bidding. In the meantime, a cheap made in China electric drill costs less than 15 bucks in K-Mart.

#18 Loop De Loop

Loop De Loop

Entry Engineer

• 849 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:46 AM

^ Just checked using that name. there are none for sale on there right now at this moment. But some people sell all of there knex at once on ebay and sometimes they have TT motors in there.

Posted Image

^^^^Thanks Airdog^^^^

TOP TEN
Top Thrill Dragster
Incredibul Hulk
Mellenium force
Maverick
Mantis
Maginum XL200
Flight Deck
Wicked Twister
Raptor
Beast

#19 SwimZONE

SwimZONE

Models of ships are hard.

• 2654 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

what I meant earlier is asking you if you could post what you're building with photos, in the construction forum, then your coasters would be much better...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Maverick | X2 | Millenium Force | Top Thrill Dragster | Tatsu
Wild Thing | Renegade | Goliath | Raptor | Mantis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: motors