• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 imlovinit

imlovinit

Isaiah 40:31

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:57 PM

First of all - WOW! There are some amazing coasters on here!
Do y'all actually have a design process? Or do you just get an idea and start building? I can't imagine some of these coasters being built without a design so what's your design process??

Also, where do you buy your parts? I just bought my second ss set from ebay for $36.00. Is that a good deal? What other sets are compatible with the ss (track, car, etc.)?

I've only made one custom and I only had one ss set so it wasn't that good...

Thanks a lot, and wow! Amazing job on most of the roller coasters here! Makes me wanna build a big one too.

#2 The KNex Weasel

The KNex Weasel

SSC's Jazz Pianist

• 2477 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

Well, I'd advise not trying to build some huge monstrosity until you're rolling in skill. And many people will usually have multiple influences that get them interested in building.

Welcome to the forums, BTW.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Credit to Spitfire.

Most recent success:
SL1M: You Don't Mess Around With It.

#3 Jplaz

Jplaz

Metaphysical Prophet

• 2776 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

First of all - WOW! There are some amazing coasters on here!
Do y'all actually have a design process? Or do you just get an idea and start building? I can't imagine some of these coasters being built without a design so what's your design process??
Usually, we have an idea of what we're going to do. Sometimes, people just start and build whatever they want, and sometimes people build recreations of real rides.

Also, where do you buy your parts? I just bought my second ss set from ebay for $36.00. Is that a good deal? What other sets are compatible with the ss (track, car, etc.)?
Ebay is where most people buy stuff, but you might be able to pick up some from a friend or a yard sale. $36 is OK, the lowest I've bought one for is $27 (w/ shipping) but I've gone up to $35... The only other sets compatible with SS track are the Rippin' Rocket (has boosters) and two small sets, the Shark Run and the Storm mountain.
I've only made one custom and I only had one ss set so it wasn't that good...
That's OK, my first was built with 2 SS sets and was crap.
Thanks a lot, and wow! Amazing job on most of the roller coasters here! Makes me wanna build a big one too.
I recommend starting by building smaller things first. My first real, decent coaster was 6-7 yellow/granite rods tall, and wooden styled. For me, wooden is easier because you don't really have to worry about supports.

Posted Image

#4 lazor 22

lazor 22

Enter The Rage

• 5967 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:38 PM

Just look at Jplaz's post for question numbers.

1. Most of the time I just start building and go on from that. I do try to make up some sort of plan to follow but I always end up doing something different. I would suggest for a newer person to start off with having a easily achievable plan.

2. Ebay is the best. It is the cheapest, I would not go over $35-40(with shipping) for a SS, about the same for a Rippen Rocket, no more than $15 for a Shark Run, and no more then $10-15 for a Storm Mountain. Also, the abbreviations for these coasters are SS, RR, SR, and SM. I would also suggest getting a all terrain trekker (TT) set when you get more experienced. It comes with a 2 speed motor which is really handy and that is how we get the fast lifts. They run from $10 (used) to $30 (new), but you can not buy off Knex direct because it is discontinued.

3. Don't worry you will get better. START SMALL!

4. START SMALL!!! You will get better that way. It pays off, Trust me!

LAZOR22SIG2.png
I305, El Toro, Goliath (SFoG), Time Machine, Talon, Apollo, Griffon, Georgia Scorcher, Nitro, Manta
Coaster Count: 77

#5 MP thrill rides

MP thrill rides

Lead Engineer

• 1973 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

Welcome to SSc. I usually have a main plan for my coasters but they often change during construction.

$40 or lower is a good price for a SS or RR.

Start small and work your way up from there. Try and listen to our advise if you make a construction thread. We can help you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:29 PM

Going off what MP^ said, we are here to help you. You will see members of all skill levels commenting on what you show us in a construction thread. These comments are more often than not advise on how to make your coasters better and how to improve your building. It's like teaching a baby to walk, its gradual. Each coaster should get a little bigger, more challenging, and ultimately better. The worse thing to do is build too big. Maybe a small looper should be next for you.

Welcome to SSC!

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#7 imlovinit

imlovinit

Isaiah 40:31

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:24 PM

Thanks for welcome! And the advice. I've started on the station and I'm look forward to learning more from this forum!

#8 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

Ok, cool. Some more specific advice: don't start out with a full-blown piece-eating station. You may need your pieces for later. But if you want to just build the floor, then go ahead. Also, check out the tutorials part of the site for great building tips and ideas.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: design, parts, question