• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:41 AM

Our first project has arrived!...

Jplaz has requested that we develop a mechanism and a counterweight to allow a HUSS Topple Tower to be functional. Since we're a research and development based company, an open discussion on ideas is good for now. Once we have the gist of what needs to be done the construction will begin...

We will create working models of our designs!...

So lets get to work!...

This website and video should help to get some ideas rolling...

HUSS Topple Tower

-Rct2123:cool:

Posted Image

#2 MP thrill rides

MP thrill rides

Lead Engineer

• 1973 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:26 AM

Interesting, very interesting. Does Jplaz want us to make the tower for him? Or does he just want us to give him our idea's? Also, do you have a video of the real tower in operation?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 RCT2123

RCT2123

• 5771 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

Huss Topple Tower

Check out around 55 seconds into the video. It gives you a good look as to how the ride works...

Jplaz just wants us to develop a system that will allow the ride to swing back and forth like the real one...

Posted Image

#4 MP thrill rides

MP thrill rides

Lead Engineer

• 1973 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:50 AM

I think getting the tower to swing back and forth will be the easy part. Getting the car up and down the tower while spinning will be hard. I'm drawing up an idea right now and I'll post it in a little bit. Let's hope jplaz has a lot of motors.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 RCT2123

RCT2123

• 5771 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:11 AM

Agreed. I will PM him and ask...

Posted Image

#6 CoasterBuilder

CoasterBuilder

Aminspec Employee

• 659 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:17 PM

It's totally possible, but it depends how much detail he wants for the ride. I've been on the HUSS Topple Tower at Dollywood (which is a great ride at a great park), but the ride does not just topple side to side.

As for the spinning ring, I would suggest using some sort of trolley based system that moves up and down the tower with a separate motor on the trolley to control the spinning of the ring.

Also, how big does he want this tower? To get a fully working one, it will have to have a huge base and a large circular ring.

Update: Talked with jplaz about it. The swinging mechanism won't be difficult, as we just need it to go back and forth. The tower will only be about 3 feet tall, so we must keep the rotating ring to the smallest diameter possible.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My SSC Gallery

Thunderstruck Video

Currently Working On: Calypso

#7 MP thrill rides

MP thrill rides

Lead Engineer

• 1973 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:54 PM

Does Jplaz want the car to move up and down? Or does he just want it to stay at the top spinning? If so I have an idea...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 RCT2123

RCT2123

• 5771 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:44 PM

Well we can definitely make a ride that has a spinning car, a spinning base, and a rocking motion. Now if he wants us to make the tower stop and let the car drop, and then let it be lifted back up, that will be the challenge...

BTW, he has all the motors we need him to have...

BTW, again, I like the challenge...

Posted Image

#9 CoasterBuilder

CoasterBuilder

Aminspec Employee

• 659 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:04 AM

That's it!!! The spinning base is what we need to create that motion. This is really starting to get interesting...

Okay, I think I have a concept that might work. Here it goes:

1) The tower will be a regular square tower. Chains at the top and bottom are attached to the car and allow it to move up and down the tower, kind of like the drop rides we have already built.

2) The car will consist of wheels riding on rails on the tower to make moving up and down easy. The outside perimeter of the car will have to be an octagon, with each corner having its own pair of gears. A chain will run the perimeter from gear to gear.

3) Attached to the chain will be the individual seat segments. When the chain spins around, the seats will move around the tower. I believe this may be the easiest way to pull off the seating arrangement, as other methods I can think of would be too large and heavy for a model that is supposed to be only 3 feet tall or so.

4) At the bottom end of the tower, a swinging mechanism will be attached with a counterweight. Just think of it like an upside down pirate ship. The motor of this will have to be geared extra low for maximum torque and be set to change direction once the tower is no more than 45* off axis or so.

5) A motor then makes the whole base rotate, giving the tower the proper motion.

Any suggestions/ideas? I have to agree with ^, this really is a great building challenge.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My SSC Gallery

Thunderstruck Video

#10 MP thrill rides

MP thrill rides

Lead Engineer

• 1973 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

I like the idea but how do we get the motor to change directions?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#11 RCT2123

RCT2123

• 5771 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:14 PM

^Simple...

I hate to use this comparison, but, it would be like Trey's automatic gates. Almost like a piston moving up and down. The motor will spin in a circle, but when it is connected properly, it will create a rocking motion when connected to something on the top.

Here is a quick sketch...

Posted Image

You see, the motor rotating will create a rocking motion...

This would be the best way IMO...

You could also connect another rod to the other side of the motor, and the other side of the bottom of the ride. This would be for extra stability...

Posted Image

#12 MP thrill rides

MP thrill rides

Lead Engineer

• 1973 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

^I like it. My idea was to have the same spinning arm but I was thinking we could connect it to the side. Then half way up the tower would be a hole with a rod going through it. The rod would stay in one place and the piston would move the bottom back and forth. (yeah I suck at explaning stuff) I think your idea is better though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#13 RCT2123

RCT2123

• 5771 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:02 AM

I worked on ^^that^^ a bit today. I should have some pics for you over the weekend...

Posted Image

#14 LukeIsLuke

LukeIsLuke

Entry Engineer

• 637 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:53 AM

^You mean a piston?
I will try to do one of these. It really doesn't seem all and all too hard.
To get the tower to go back and forth like a swing ride you would need
Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image

#15 CoasterBuilder

CoasterBuilder

Aminspec Employee

• 659 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:24 PM

Yeah, I used a similar mechanism on Khonsu's station to rotate the turnstiles 90* before reversing direction. Here is that mechanism:

Posted Image

Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My SSC Gallery

Thunderstruck Video

#16 LukeIsLuke

LukeIsLuke

Entry Engineer

• 637 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:26 AM

You've got the idea, it really isn't all that complicated :)
I'm going to start this after I get home from my soccer tournament.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image

#17 da master826

da master826

Friend of GLaDOS

• 1306 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:25 AM

Me too. Once I come back from buying tickets to AEROSMITH's!!! Houston concert!!! YAY!!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image
Intimidator305, El Toro, Maverick, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Top Thrill Dragster

#18 MP thrill rides

MP thrill rides

Lead Engineer

• 1973 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:02 PM

Has anyone done any work on this yet?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#19 LukeIsLuke

LukeIsLuke

Entry Engineer

• 637 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:44 PM