[CD B&M Floorless] SBNO - The Ride: ...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TripleHelix

TripleHelix

Do a barrel roll!

• 2241 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:24 PM

So, before the buildoff, I'm just building a small CD coaster which is a lot easier now due to a better lift and rails thanks to the Phoenix. It's like 5 feet long and 1 foot wide right now, will probably be 5'x2' finished.

Right now it's just a drop, loop, and dive loop. Next will be a 0-G roll into a MCBR, and hopefully interlocking corks afterwards (which will probably be on the dive loop side) into the final brakes/station.

Because I'm lazy, here's a crappy picture from my laptop's webcam.

Posted Image

EDIT: Raising the dive loop didn't work out too well, due to those damned flanged wheels. It's like 2" taller now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image
Coaster Count: 79

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

THIS TEXT IS A LIE!

#2 Coaster105

Coaster105

Lead Engineer

• 1035 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:30 PM

I like the incorporation of the new phoenix parts. Its nice that models can now have stations and proper crests.

Definitely raise the dive loop. Try to shape it just a perfect as it is now but a little bigger.

It Looks Great though!

-Coaster105

Youtube Channel

#3 NitroDude319

NitroDude319

Compact or Nothing

• 1846 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

Just raise the dive loop a tad bit. Then everything will be perfect and youre golden!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 SwimZONE

SwimZONE

Models of ships are hard.

• 2654 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:22 PM

Only problem I see is the way the dive loop is entering at it's like it turns left, then the twist starts.

I love the even spacing of the X-ties.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Maverick | X2 | Millenium Force | Top Thrill Dragster | Tatsu
Wild Thing | Renegade | Goliath | Raptor | Mantis

#5 Rollerboaster

Rollerboaster

Anti-anti conformist

• 1010 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:37 PM

the loops highest point is too far to the right.

Posted Image

inclusive shipping

#6 TripleHelix

TripleHelix

Do a barrel roll!

• 2241 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:58 PM

^No, it's not. :P

Well, I decided to finish it today so I don't get distracted from summer homework tomorrow (it sucks) and so I don't spend more time in the dreaded heat.

What I discovered this morning is that the floorless train doesn't make it over the loop anymore, nevermind the dive loop. However, an upside down invert train runs FLAWLESSLY. I swear, it's those stupid flanged wheels. But the inverted trains don't work on the Phoenix lift... so, instead of cutting the very nice long tubing for something that can't work, I'll just leave it there.

So now, instead of having a small, boring SBNO invert under my bed, I have an SBNO Beemer on my dresser!

(Cue the crappy webcam picture! There's not much to see, anyways, but you might see it later on.)

Posted Image

Now, it's SBNO - The Ride: Salvation Hawk on Fire!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image

Posted Image

THIS TEXT IS A LIE!

#7 coastermaniac

coastermaniac

Lead Engineer

• 1862 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:05 PM

Aww that sucks, Im scared by those wheel, I just got my floorless train. Are they that bad ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1|Tatsu 2|KK 3|Montu 4|Medusa 5|Kumba 6|Nitro 7|Goliath 8|Goliath 9|DD:F 10|Excalibur

#8 TripleHelix

TripleHelix

Do a barrel roll!

• 2241 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:08 PM

Eh, not sure... I lubed them yesterday, though, and they worked fine until today. Maybe if I relube them then they'll work better, but it's been said that the invert trains are still better than the sitdowns.

I never tried the Phoenix trains, though, and apparently they use better plastic.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image

Posted Image

THIS TEXT IS A LIE!

#9 LCAL

LCAL

Only I Can Live Forever

• 1823 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:43 AM

Looks great. Now, what does SBNO stand for?

http://www.youtube.com/knexer13
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SSC Member June 11th 2007 - January 1st 2011

Posted Image

#10 coastermaniac

coastermaniac

Lead Engineer

• 1862 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:46 AM

^Standing But Not Operating

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1|Tatsu 2|KK 3|Montu 4|Medusa 5|Kumba 6|Nitro 7|Goliath 8|Goliath 9|DD:F 10|Excalibur

#11 Jack Rimer

Jack Rimer

Construction Foreman

• 125 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

One of the reasons the floorless train does not roll as well is that the link limiter on the front allows too much play. Do you have a sitdown or hyper train that you can take the floor off and replace it on the second car? Basically, the front car, when looking at the train from the side, "sags". It needs to stick straight out. This sagging creates a bind. You can do a few other things with super glue to help, but it is tricky. We are working on modifying the "bottom T" as we call it. The problem is not on the lead car. It is the hitch that needs modified.

#12 TripleHelix

TripleHelix

Do a barrel roll!

• 2241 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

Wow, I just tried the Phoenix train... and it flies like the upside-down inverts! (I guess because of the "bottom T" and new plastic?)

When do you think you will be selling the Phoenix cars separately? I'd love to get my hands on two more... especially to mix 'n match colors and stuff with the floorless train.

I'm still not going to extend the layout, though. Not much room on my dresser. And it works really nice for holding my stuff. ;) But, by the time I start another one, I'll probably have a full Phoenix train and maybe more joints, since I actually was starting to run low. And I like those G (or H?) joints.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image

Posted Image

THIS TEXT IS A LIE!

#13 Pyro

Pyro

mike and his mommy

• 2140 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

Haha... I love the name! Dun dun dun... Its a bird! Its a Plane! NO! Its! Its! Its Standing But Not Operating! AHHH! Lol.

Well I cant really say that if it makes it now can I?

Is CD really worth all that money?

#14 Jack Rimer

Jack Rimer

Construction Foreman

• 125 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

All that money? What do you consider a lot of money? How much do you have in all your Knex?

#15 lazor 22

lazor 22

Enter The Rage

• 5967 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:53 PM

Huzzah for SBNO CD models!

I'm gonna try to get the Phoenix when I go to BG in a few days.

LAZOR22SIG2.png
I305, El Toro, Goliath (SFoG), Time Machine, Talon, Apollo, Griffon, Georgia Scorcher, Nitro, Manta
Coaster Count: 77

#16 griffon14

griffon14

Drum line captain

• 1517 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

when are you going to BG. im going there in two days (this saturday)

Future member of the UNCC Drumline

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Intimidator 305
Milf - Maverick - TTD - Dimondback - Griffon - Intimidator - Alpengist - Dominator - Thunderhead

#17 lazor 22

lazor 22

Enter The Rage

• 5967 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:19 PM

I am going on saturday if my brother stops being a idiot or my friend can go. If not, the next.

LAZOR22SIG2.png
I305, El Toro, Goliath (SFoG), Time Machine, Talon, Apollo, Griffon, Georgia Scorcher, Nitro, Manta
Coaster Count: 77

#18 kne

kne

go cartoon and scream!!!

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:53 PM

can you post a test video on youtube? i really want to see this thing in action!

#19 Dirtcrusher

Dirtcrusher

Dirt(y)crusher rules!!

• 259 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:03 AM

SBNO means Standing But Not Operating

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:o Oh no... I cant talk Englich verie wel! :o

Knex is not a toy. Its a way of life.

(DO IT! quote me on that!!)

#20 kne

kne

go cartoon and scream!!!

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:29 AM

im confused a bit can anyone help? i have a new phoenix and it has a large, very tight coil of spring at the end of the lift spring. if i want to build a custom without the curve at the top, shoould i cut off the tight coil or stretch it out to make an even longer spring, or leave it be?