Xcelerator cable snap

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 SFMMCrazy

SFMMCrazy

#Thrillsforallages

• 794 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:43 PM

Last wedensday 4:00pm Xcelator's cable snaped and two people were injured.
A dad and he son were rushed to the hospital and the ride was shut down forever (I think). YouTube - Roller Coaster Cable Snaps

Thrill Capital Insider

Where Thrills Rule

#2 Franko

Franko

crossfire!!!

• 204 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:50 PM

i dont tink they are shutting it dowm forever, lots of other coasters have had accidents and re-opened months/years later, and if it was closed forever why not demolish it?

i loved that ride and now, im kinda scared to ride it again, well in the front.

Posted Image

#3 Spitfire

Spitfire

SSC Graphics Designer

• 1753 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

I laughed when they started freaking out from the smoke.

(cop) SSCoasters Staff (cop)
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

Posted Image
Maverick | Millennium Force | Ravine Flyer II | Top Thrill Dragster | Kumba

#4 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:18 PM

I laughed when they started freaking out from the smoke.

Shut up, they obviously got hit by something, debris was flying around their heads!

I'm not sure how badly they were injured, but man, that's sick!

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 LCAL

LCAL

Only I Can Live Forever

• 1823 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:37 PM

So the camera was randomly taping during that exact launch...?

http://www.youtube.com/knexer13
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SSC Member June 11th 2007 - January 1st 2011

Posted Image

#6 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. Shit happens. Serious injuries, problems, and deaths are big deals, this is not. Superman death in 2004, Son of Beast in 2006, Batman at SFOG last year, SFKK drop ride in 2007, and one of the worst, Galaxyland Mindbender in 1986.

Stuff happens, and its extremely rare. You're more likely to get into an accident driving to the park than being in one on a coaster.

I hate shit people make up now too. How do you get back pain from a cable snap? BS.

SSCoasters Staff

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#7 Franko

Franko

crossfire!!!

• 204 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

So the camera was randomly taping during that exact launch...?

no they have onride cameras so you can watch after

Posted Image

#8 Maverix

Maverix

Aieght

• 2281 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:31 PM

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. Shit happens. Serious injuries, problems, and deaths are big deals, this is not. Superman death in 2004, Son of Beast in 2006, Batman at SFOG last year, SFKK drop ride in 2007, and one of the worst, Galaxyland Mindbender in 1986.

Stuff happens, and its extremely rare. You're more likely to get into an accident driving to the park than being in one on a coaster.

I hate shit people make up now too. How do you get back pain from a cable snap? BS.

Exactly, and didn't this exact thing happen on TTD to? I know it was something similar, but I'm pretty sure it was the same thing. And by there reactions, they look like they should be fine, they were obviously trying to figure out what just happened and wanted to get off and all that stuff.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 10 Coasters:
1. Intimidator 305 2. Maverick 3. Storm Runner 4. Millennium Force 5. Gatekeeper
6. Diamondback 7. Manta 8. Wild Eagle 9. Thunderhead 10. Apollos Chariot

#9 TripleHelix

TripleHelix

Do a barrel roll!

• 2241 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:16 PM

This happened to Ka during testing, as well... which is why the infield queue is closed off.

Despite the fact that they're gonna need a new cable (oh snap! Pardon the pun :P), a cut and back pain are no big deal compared to eye damage from shrapnel and stuff.

Although, did anyone else see the kid's seat shift near the end? It looks like it popped out or something...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image
Coaster Count: 79

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

THIS TEXT IS A LIE!

#10 SFMMCrazy

SFMMCrazy

#Thrillsforallages

• 794 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

1.thats Xcelerator's first accident since it opened in 2002.
2.you get back pain since the cable tighten his bar.
3.the cable cut him in his cheek and cable pieces flung to them

Thrill Capital Insider

Where Thrills Rule

#11 decaxxeca

decaxxeca

just call me Ten

• 974 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

How the F*** does the cable do anything to his lapbar?

Posted Image

#12 Spitfire

Spitfire

SSC Graphics Designer

• 1753 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:33 PM

Shut up, they obviously got hit by something, debris was flying around their heads!

I'm not sure how badly they were injured, but man, that's sick!

Think;
Train launches, cable snaps, smoke comes from the bottom. My back hurts now. Let's freak out, struggle to get out of unmovable restraint system, and start yelling to the operators for help. Seriously, it's like people think roller coasters are made with safety as the LAST priority. You're not going to die, stay in your seat and wait for them to get you out. And they were minor injuries. So you're telling me because they "obviously got hit by something" that might've cut the kid's cheek and caused "back pain" that they should freak the hell out? No.

It's a blatant over exaggeration between the reaction of the riders and the media fucking things up as usual.

(cop) SSCoasters Staff (cop)

Posted Image
Maverick | Millennium Force | Ravine Flyer II | Top Thrill Dragster | Kumba

#13 Maverix

Maverix

Aieght

• 2281 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:37 PM

Although, did anyone else see the kid's seat shift near the end? It looks like it popped out or something...

Yeah, something did happen to the seat right before it came to a stop, looks like it might of ran over part of the cable and knocked it out or something.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 10 Coasters:
1. Intimidator 305 2. Maverick 3. Storm Runner 4. Millennium Force 5. Gatekeeper

#14 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:43 PM

1.thats Xcelerator's first accident since it opened in 2002.
2.you get back pain since the cable tighten his bar.
3.the cable cut him in his cheek and cable pieces flung to them

1. Don't even try to cry me a river until it has had as many accidents and problems as Son of Beast.
2. How the hell does that even happen???
3. Boo hoo. As TH said, try shrapnel in the eye. There's worse than what happened.

As I said. Not. A. Huge. Deal.

SSCoasters Staff

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#15 Maverix

Maverix

Aieght

• 2281 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:06 PM

Yeah, Intimidator, the one thing that could have caused back pain is what ever happened to the kids seat or that sudden-ish stop.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 10 Coasters:

#16 MP thrill rides

MP thrill rides

Lead Engineer

• 1973 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:08 PM

It's not a huge deal but Intamin shouldn't leave this un noticed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#17 SFMMCrazy

SFMMCrazy

#Thrillsforallages

• 794 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:22 PM

sorry guy but that wat happen I know it not a big deal but I just wanted people to see at happened

Thrill Capital Insider

Where Thrills Rule

#18 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:51 PM

Ok, the cable snapped. So what? Parts get worn out every now and then. That's why the every roller coaster train on every roller coaster is dismantled every offseason and reassembled. They want to ensure that the pieces are good. It's the same deal with cars. Your brakes wear our after a while, so you get new ones. Same with your tires. With a launch cable, that's a bit more complicated. You can't just replace it every now and then like it's no big deal. It takes time. Plus, that's something that has immense forces exerted on it. The accumulators on TTD's launch motor, essentially the same thing as this, are holding hydraulic fluid that's heat compressed to 4,700PSI. The cable's going to break eventually, and there's nothing to do about it.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#19 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:43 AM

Think;
Train launches, cable snaps, smoke comes from the bottom. My back hurts now. Let's freak out, struggle to get out of unmovable restraint system, and start yelling to the operators for help. Seriously, it's like people think roller coasters are made with safety as the LAST priority. You're not going to die, stay in your seat and wait for them to get you out. And they were minor injuries. So you're telling me because they "obviously got hit by something" that might've cut the kid's cheek and caused "back pain" that they should freak the hell out? No.

It's a blatant over exaggeration between the reaction of the riders and the media fucking things up as usual.

You are mad, what would you do if you get injured on a coaster. Go try and be the tough guy and say that you won't freak out. Everyone here would freak out when they get hit by shrapnel.

Laughing makes you look like you got no feelings. Still if you get injured, wouldn't you blame the park either?

Stop being a douche.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:32 AM

I can imagine it is awfully painful when your seat suddenly gets pushed forward, while your lapbar is still in the same position.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png