Six Flags New orleans-abandoned

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SFMMCrazy

SFMMCrazy

#Thrillsforallages

• 794 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:08 PM

I never heard of Sixflags New orleans.They don't have a site for it no longer.I wonder what they are going to do with the park.Six Flags said that it to much to remake the place and too much to abandon.I wish they give Jester to Magic Mountain.

Thrill Capital Insider

Where Thrills Rule

#2 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:37 PM

Umm...you're 4 years late on this...

The latest news is that a company has bought the park, gotten Six Flags out of the picture and is working with the city and Nickelodeon to build a Nick Universe theme park. We have no idea when it'll open though.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#3 SFMMCrazy

SFMMCrazy

#Thrillsforallages

• 794 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:43 PM

At least I hope Sixflags (if its still owned by it) give Jester to SFMM since there changing coaster and there getting a new coaster

Thrill Capital Insider

Where Thrills Rule

#4 decaxxeca

decaxxeca

just call me Ten

• 974 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:22 AM

I can almost garuntee you that they didn't......

Posted Image

#5 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:29 PM

For the past couple weeks, I've been seeing a lot of guests viewing this thread.

So, as a local, let me share what the park is like today.

Posted Image

Some of the rides are still there. And I've been told that many of the buildings and rides have been weathered and vandalized beyond recognition. Apparently, it's very easy to get through the fence and walk around the abandoned park.

When the park was still open. We had a decent collection of coasters, 2 of which were actually worth traveling to to ride. Also, we had a very nice collection of flat rides, (circled in blue) including a Zamperla Windshear and a Mondial Shake. Easily some of the most intense flat rides in the south.

SFNO Photo Gallery :: 2003 Season Videos

And, to this day, I believe SFNO had one of the most impressive night-time atmospheres, even rivaling that of WoF. Neon and LEDs were everywhere, accenting the sounds of Jazz, Dixieland, and Bluegrass music floating through the air on a hot summer night.

SFNO Photo Gallery :: Main Street Square water fountain

The park originally opened as Jazzland, and it was an alright place. It wasn't spectacular, but it was something. But after the park's opening, attendance took a nose-dive and it seemed that the park owners weren't too concerned about improving the park at all.

Three years later, Six Flags took over and gave us 2 new coasters, a Batman Stunt Show, and 3 new flat rides. Suddenly, the park was greatly enjoyable (even despite it's tiny size).

SFNO Photo Gallery :: First Commercial: A park transformed

On summer days, I sometimes flashback to me and my two friends eating cheeseburgers next to the lake, watching people ride the S&S towers, and hearing Mega Zeph's train rattle around the sweeping turn over the water.

Before Katrina wiped this place off the map, we were getting rumors of a water park, and a major new coaster. Two years after the hurricane, there was mention of Nickelodeon stepping in and re-opening the park with new attractions, but the plans fell through due to financial setbacks. On the upside, Blue Bayou/Dixie Landin' has doubled in size because of the lack of competition.

Today, the park resembles something taken straight from Silent Hill. Rust, decay, and overgrowth dominate the area.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I miss this place dearly and it will always hold a special place in my heart, as my 'original' home park. Thanks for reading.

#6 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:34 PM

I always find this place so interesting. There are some videos on YouTube of people climbing Mega Zeph's lift hill, walking around, etc. I think its cool. I mean they had The Jester, a Vekoma looper with the train backwards. I mean that is sweet! And Dixie Landing? Never heard of it.

Posted Image

#7 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

I was looking for any news as to what's happening to the old Six Flags site and this popped up.

Even if it is just a bunch of clips from other rides at other parks, perhaps we're getting the same types as shown in the video? A launched Intamin and a GCI? Also a Mack water coaster and a river rapids ride... Lord knows we need some water rides. I hope they give the rides some catchy cajun names.
... Ride the Mardi Gras Mambo!

They were even nice enough to provide some concept art of a map.... Hey, is that a Mega-lite?
Posted Image

And there's even a website Bon Temps Family Theme Park, Inc. - Home

Well this just makes my day :)

#8 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:00 PM

I wish they give Jester to Magic Mountain.

They already have too many coasters...

^That's really good news! :)

Formally RK500

#9 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

Yay! Nice to hear you guys are getting a new park!

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#10 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

I will agree that looks like a mirrored mega lite in that picture. And right next to it, it look like there might be that little blue jet skie coaster from the video.

#11 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:29 AM

More stuff about Bon Temps.
I e-mailed a guy whom I shall refer to as "Mr. J" about the rides they were planning on having.
He e-mailed me back a list that surprised the hell out of me, my comments will appear in blue.

A GCI with an extreme element. Wonder what it could be. The drawing on the map looks like it'll have a Wildcat-type drop.

An Intamin Jet Ski coaster.

A Mack Water-coaster

2 S&S Coasters. I'm betting on an El Loco and a Free Fly

A launched Gerslaurer. If the El Loco is a "go", then I'm hoping for something like Lynet.

And last but not least: A friggin' Mega-lite.
Mr. J says this will most likely be a Phase 2 project

I sent an e-mail saying that these rides will blow Jazzland out of the water.
He replied back saying that, just in theming alone, it will, indeed, blow Jazzland away.

#12 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:42 AM

What about the coaster that are there right now? And which Wildcat are you talking about? Because that looks like the Ozark wildcat, which SBNO (Celebration City went bankrupt), and they could move it.

Formally RK500

#13 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:02 PM

^Yep. That's the one.

As it turns out, this place isn't going in the old Six Flags site at all, which is even better.

The park is going south of New Orleans in a city called Houma.

#14 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:25 PM

When is this suppost to open?

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#15 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

An Intamin Jet Ski coaster.

Like a motorbike coaster, but the passengers ride on Jet Ski's instead? :lolo

Well it's great to hear about this good news for Bon Temps. I wish Hershey or any theme park near me got a Eurofighter (Fahrenheit I guess counts, but something like SAW would be cool too).

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#16 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

When is this suppost to open?

An article on NOLA.com says that "groundbreaking" (I'm guessing that means digging holes and pouring concrete) will begin December 2011.

The park will also be open year-round.
Screw Jazzland! This place is a dream come true!