• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ccron10

Ccron10

Skyrush Track Watcher

• 95 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:45 PM

Hey guys,
Like I said in my Nighthawk thread, I was planning on incorperating a magnetic braking system into the ride. After researching the idea a little bit and looking at pictures of the brake run system on Storm Runner and Fahrenheit, I discovered that neither of them used electricity making it possible to be used on a k'nex coaster.
Since I didn't really come across a thread about such a system, here's a tutorial on how you can make your own.

1. Go out and buy yourself one or two bar magnets. The ones I bought only cost me $2.50 for 2 of them and since I bought them at a hardware store, these are somewhat powerful.

The steps from here on work, but since this is only a prototype, I plan on releasing more steps and ideas to make the system better.

2. Take 1 bar magnet and put it under the SS coaster car. Take a 3 to 4 inch piece of masking tape and wrap it around the body of the car (make sure it's snug). Repeat this step for each car you plan to add magnets to.

Posted Image Your car should look like this.

3. Next, take a section of galvenized steel and make sure it is under 1 inch wide. Take the section and place it on a gradual sloping section of track that is under 45* (30* would work). Take some masking tape and wrap it around the steel and center tubing.

4. Place the car at the top of the slope and drop it down the drop. The car should slow down as it goes over the steel and down the hill. Remember to cut off the steel when needed to prevent the car form coming to a complete stop.

Here is a photo of the completed system:
Posted Image

Here's a video clip of the system in action. The slope I used was 45* and you can see the car travel slower than usual down the hill. Like I said, if the hill is flatter, the system works better (I just used part of a lift section to test it out on).
MOV00893.flv video by knexfahrenheit - Photobucket
This is only Version 1 of the system. Once I try some more experiments with it, I'll update the information to make the braking system run better and easier (and nicer looking).
Let me know what you think.

#2 kne` builder

kne` builder

Architect

• 478 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:53 AM

Awsome dude!
I might use this on my next project.
This might be a huge Day in the History of SSCoasters!

Posted Image

Top6 Coasters:
6:Raptor
5:Blue Fire
4:Maverick
3:Top Thrill Dragster
2:Millenium Force
1:Expedition GeForce

Coastercount: 62

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:39 AM

I'm interested to know how that would slow it down. It's hard to see anything from the video...it just doesn't make sense that a magnet attracting a steel plate vertically would have a major effect on the train's horizontal speed.

#4 rexdino5

rexdino5

Construction Foreman

• 150 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:12 AM

Hmmm... is there away to detract the magnets instead of steel to go UP the hill? It would be much more efficient but a little pricy but you could by a mass of magnets and masking tape on Ebay. I also have a hardware store across my neirbor street. Maybe you could try do that or just a speeding section of a flat piece of tract. That would change the need for Chains.

Posted Image

#5 Ccron10

Ccron10

Skyrush Track Watcher

• 95 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:15 AM

I'm interested to know how that would slow it down. It's hard to see anything from the video...it just doesn't make sense that a magnet attracting a steel plate vertically would have a major effect on the train's horizontal speed.

The magnet tries to attract itself to the steel plate and prevent it from moving. But since there's a slope involved, the cars want to keep moving. I'll try to get a better video.

For rexdino, the system that I think you might be talking about is a LIM system. It would require a complex computer system to switch on and off the magnetic charges at just the right moment. I do know that someone tried that, but it didn't come out right.

#6 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:36 AM

Try making a sketch with the forces involved. The magnetic attracting force is pretty much perpendicular to the track, while the movement is along the track. That means there's hardly any deceleration. More rolling friction will occur but it's redundant. You want to have a force that's along the track, decelerating the train directly.

Try reading this: Eddy current brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#7 kne` builder

kne` builder

Architect

• 478 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:38 AM

For LIMs:
I heard that the clothes washers have an Mgnetic Motor with a circulating magnetic field.
And if you cut it, it works like and is like a LIM-Motor.
I dont know it, but I heard it in an German RollerCoaster-Dokumentation.

Posted Image

Top6 Coasters:
6:Raptor
5:Blue Fire
4:Maverick
3:Top Thrill Dragster
2:Millenium Force
1:Expedition GeForce

Coastercount: 62

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 Ccron10

Ccron10

Skyrush Track Watcher

• 95 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:41 AM

Try making a sketch with the forces involved. The magnetic attracting force is pretty much perpendicular to the track, while the movement is along the track. That means there's hardly any deceleration. More rolling friction will occur but it's redundant. You want to have a force that's along the track, decelerating the train directly.

Try reading this: Eddy current brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It sounds like I need to make the stainless steel trough-shaped. That was going to be my idea to use, but it looks like I mistook the friction of the magnet for eddy current. I'll try that and test it out again.

#9 rexdino5

rexdino5

Construction Foreman

• 150 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:49 PM

I didn't know it was called like that but I was thinking about a very strong magnet with a magnet on the track that is sloped slightly to make it go up hill. I have no experience in Electronices so I don't think I can make a LIM launcher. Maybe someone else can make a launcher that goes without anything but the use of magnets and steel. That would be a good science project.

Posted Image

#10 SFMMCrazy

SFMMCrazy

#Thrillsforallages

• 794 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:42 PM

I'm fpr sure using this for my build off coaster.

Thrill Capital Insider

Where Thrills Rule

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wicked twister