awesome duhh tutorial

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

I think sanding it of would take for ever unless you used extremely coarse sandpaper and if you did that you would make a huge mess of the surface around the cut.

a Dremel tool with a cutoff disc works great for cutting off the back of the car. Makes a nice clean cut without scratching up the surface around the cut. You can then use the little sanding drums on the Dremel to clean up the cut and sand down that little ridge running down the back of the car above the screw hole.

Another good way to cut plastic like this is to use an Xacto knife. Heat the knife up with a lighter or candle and when it is blue hot it will cut plastic like butter. You'll have to keep re-heating the blade, probably make about a 1" (2.5 cm) at a time. I used to do that when I built models as a kid. Just be careful with the knife and the flame.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#22 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:09 AM

I think sanding it of would take for ever unless you used extremely coarse sandpaper and if you did that you would make a huge mess of the surface around the cut.

a Dremel tool with a cutoff disc works great for cutting off the back of the car. Makes a nice clean cut without scratching up the surface around the cut. You can then use the little sanding drums on the Dremel to clean up the cut and sand down that little ridge running down the back of the car above the screw hole.

Another good way to cut plastic like this is to use an Xacto knife. Heat the knife up with a lighter or candle and when it is blue hot it will cut plastic like butter. You'll have to keep re-heating the blade, probably make about a 1" (2.5 cm) at a time. I used to do that when I built models as a kid. Just be careful with the knife and the flame.

Actually, I used a dremel tool too. I just didn't know how to name it in english, and I'm not sure if everyone has one.

-Suck.

#23 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:15 PM

Are mineral spirits the same as white-spirit? because I don't know what white-spirit is. Mineral spirits removes paint, so would I use that to get the stickers off?

#24 MichaelG

MichaelG

Architect

• 504 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:33 PM

This is great. I might not use this unless I have a spare, I'm not risking it as knowing me it will all go wrong. Great Tut!
Michael

#25 zwxe

zwxe

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

cool thanks

#26 KT-creations

KT-creations

Knex coaster creations

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

hey, love everything in this tutorial. great job, i used the restraints and sticks in my Roller Coaster "Airforce" http://www.youtube.c...h?v=iW7zr0qV3KU . and some people have been asking me if i could upload a video on youtube on how to make the restraints and stickers and other themeing things. if its ok with you since it is your idea originally. thanks
-KT-creations

#27 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

I would rather have you to send them a link to this tutorial/website or whatever.
But no, I would rather not have you copying my tutorial. Thanks for being so polite to ask though!:)

#28 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:56 PM

Bart's right, by doing so you aren't giving him any credit, so it's better to link them to SSC (this page is hidden when you are not registered, same for all tutorials).

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 KT-creations

KT-creations

Knex coaster creations

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

ok, ill send them the link to this tutorial and i completely agree with you, i wouldn't want others copying my things either. but your tutorial is amazing.
-KT-creations

#30 KT-creations

KT-creations

Knex coaster creations

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

ok i put the link and gave credit to you on my youtube video. thanks man for letting me know.

#31 mountain dew

mountain dew

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:26 PM

When you pain the car do you have to use spray paint? can you use regular wall paint?

#32 KT-creations

KT-creations

Knex coaster creations

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

spray paint will look much better on the cars! but i guess wall paint might work, ive never used wall paint so im not sure! Hope it helped

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: awesome, duhh, tutorial