Basilisk Rail (final video)

• Please log in to reply
338 replies to this topic

#281 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

The train does make the tight radius prelift turn. Though I can move the station run a little closer to the cork , and then take the turn around thru the pretzel loop area (That section is not support yet). Also, with the turn into the station, I do not think I will be able to leave it go under the track as it is currently, so that area will be fixed, also.

Thank you for the heads up on these issue, now I know what needs to be done to finish the circuit.

Alpal:

The Basilisk will stay in the area where he is now. From a front view (most people will only have) he looks great, and I am going to build the ride entrance in that area.

At this point the station is not automated. I have to sit down with the microcontroller, and then I will put some senors that will turn the motors on and off, but I can rig those up later.

FTGU:
I will make a tie count and track length once I have the circuit in place for sure, because I will be modifying the last turn, these two will still change slightly.

I also need to make a good part count est. Is 10K too high or too low??

#282 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

Yeah, Im suprised it makes that!

#283 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:05 PM

10k is way to low IMHO.

You mean you didn't keep a log of every piece used as you built it!?

;-)

(friends always ask me how many pieces are in that, and I just say "thousands")

edit:

Is there something weird going on here? Maybe it got messed up in a move or something, I don't remember seeing these bumps before.

Posted Image

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#284 scott

scott

Architect

• 566 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:43 PM

I think i see a bump at the loop pull in fix that and your good. :D

Steam: rodimus113
MC and XBL: rodimuz
PC:
amd a4-3420, r5 230, 8gb ddr3 1333

#285 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:47 PM

I dont know, I dont think it was there earlier on.

#286 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:56 PM

This is sooo epic. Once you clean up everthing, this will be soo awesome!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#287 MichaelG

MichaelG

Architect

• 504 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:33 AM

Looks great at the moment! But the turning drop has gotten bumpy! Keep up the good work!

Just noticed something...
Blackkitty (^) posted a reply a minute before A.S.C (^^) but on the thread blackkittys reply came after A.S.C! Weird!

#288 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:07 AM

The coaster looks amazing! Some of the supports are bending, so please fix t and everything everyone else pointed out. I love the layout!

Formally RK500

#289 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:12 PM

Whew, that took much more work to do then I feel it should have.

And here we are, a circuit that the train can clear.. YAY. It drops out of the station nicely, comes around, grabs the pre-lift, and then climbs the lift. Runs the course, and then stops at the pre-station(notice the tubing is not cut yet).

I was having serious problems getting the train to make it to the pre-station (kept stopping short) so I had to make some modifications to the ending.

The aerial overview
Posted Image.

Here is the angle to see the last few turns
Posted Image

Here is the turn out of the station
Posted Image

And of course one of my favorite shots, thru the pretzel
Posted Image

Next up. Fix those bumpy spots that have been pointed out to me. And build full tubes to replace some of the half tubes, that are being use as cross supports (mostly the loop and pretzel, but a few others also)

#290 Kevyn230

Kevyn230

Aight

• 1347 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

I really love it and I had a look through all the pictures I can't find anything to improve on but I not that good at spotting things and I-Spy but looking great anyway. One of my favourite things of this coaster is because it is compact (IMO).

Posted Image
Under construction:
Non in Progress

#291 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

The last turns look underbanked, the other parts of this coaster look EPIC!

#292 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

Amazing work! Your museum will have a great addition!

#293 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

really like the mods since the last update. The pre-lift turn and the turn into the station look much better. Depending on how much speed there is left that turn into the station could use some banking, but only if it is fast. If you keep it the way it is, there is a small sharp spot right at the beginning of that turn.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#294 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

I think this thing is a work of art so far! Really nice curves. I do see the sharp spot too though.

-CD33

Posted Image

#295 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

This is awesome!! I almost went into shock after seeing this!

Now its time for the BEST part of this, moving it up onto a sturdy enough board and moving it. Have fun with that!

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#296 HamenChiz

HamenChiz

HamenChiz

• 680 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:41 PM

Someone is going to get a freshly baked builder tag and that is you.

You proved that you can cope up with problems and solved it with the best answer.

You really amazed me. Keep it up.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#297 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

Coaster looks amazing. This is easily one of the best (if not the best) aesthetically pleasing coasters ever. I'm not just saying that your crossties and tubing are cool colors (but they are). All of your inversions are so smooth looking and the layout has excellent flow, especially for your first coaster.
I'd totally visit the museum just to see Basilisk Rail.

Btw, what's the nerf rocket for?

EDIT: V Oh yeah.

#298 HamenChiz

HamenChiz

HamenChiz

• 680 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:58 PM

^ Theming?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#299 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

The last turns look underbanked, the other parts of this coaster look EPIC!

It's fine for the speed he has left. If you look at Python (Efteling) you can also see that the last turn before the brakes is barely banked.

Someone is going to get a freshly baked builder tag and that is you.

You proved that you can cope up with problems and solved it with the best answer.

You really amazed me. Keep it up.

Builder tags aren't handed out to people who only have build one coaster. It doesn't just mean that you can build great but also means that you build on a regular basis and have built more than one coaster. If we would just take "being a good builder" as the criteria 90% of SSC would have the tag. SSC has known a lot of one-day-flies.
Of course activity is another thing too. I just counted his posts and he has only made 8 out of his 81 posts not in one of his own threads. I would like to see him post more in other peoples threads too, he is a great builder and people can definitely learn from him.
Ickus is a great builder, but I don't see why a tag would be suitable right now.

OT:
Did you slant the final brakerun in order to get it to make the end? Maybe it is better to extend the chain from the station further into the brakerun. Assuming you are only going to run one train, which doesn't stress the coaster too much.

For coasters that are on show during extended periods of time I think a single train is more than enough. People can only watch one train anyway and it will really improve on the lifespan of the coaster, especially with tubes the track is going to deform a lot.

Right now the pre-lift turns look a bit weird under the pretzel, can you look into that?

I really like the chain in front of the lift-hill. Reminds me of B&M coasters who usually have some extra tire-drives in front of the lift.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#300 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:30 AM

This is one of the best tube support coasters I have seen. Is the museum in Wheeling that you are building that in?