Basilisk Rail (final video)

• Please log in to reply
338 replies to this topic

#301 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:37 AM

RNB: The train is not moving very fast in this section to need that much banking.

HamenChiz: I go with what Max said. One build is not a builder. And While I "creep" on other peoples builds and such, I tend to not post, because I do not feel I have anything of significance to add (because I am inexperienced).

LaMbChOpZ: It will take me 2-3 days to build the platform (mostly because of the need for painting). I have my fingers crossed that I am able to start on Monday.

ForgotToGrowUp: Approx. 1050 cross ties. 76.5 feet(23.3 meters) of track length. So how does 20K sound?

Maxlaam: In the OT. I do not have any brakes set up on the transfer table area, and I do not have a chain there either because of the movement issue. What I have done, and it will be easier once I mount also because I won't be fighting an uneven floor) is to slightly slope the section to help ensure that the train makes it to the chain. (I am using the transfer table, as a section to allow me to put trains on and off for maintenance, without distorting another section of the track). As for the section under the pretzel, It maybe because I need to go back thru it, I used ladder connectors and kept the crossties low, because I wanted to get the general flow first. I'll tweak it.

I am working on some supports to replace some that look horrible, and I am also adding support in some places to help keep the track from shifting (finding connections that do not slide is hard).

As for Theming.
I have a modified roaring basilisk which is red, yellow and black. He moves his head and his tail (no longer a nerf dart). Also, I building a station rood, which will have lights in it. Also working on the entrance que line, and the exit route. Then of course I need to do a sign for the entrance that will be with the Basilisk. And of course once on the board, I will add some other track lighting (up lighting , etc.)

#302 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:30 PM

20k sounds like a reasonable estimate. Probably more.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#303 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:40 AM

Have to agree with ^ because I am not that good with est.☺ And is the museum in Wheeling?☺

#304 Justin

Justin

I am Back!

• 195 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:09 AM

seriously how many storm mountains do you have this is one amazing coaster!

Justin

Posted Image Thanks Kevyn230

Official Builders of Faith Member

#305 MichaelG

MichaelG

Architect

• 504 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:40 AM

Ok, i'm sure this is going to look like the stupidist question in this thread

When you say build a platform, do you mean like out of k'nex or out of real materials like wood etc?

As for the weight, why don't you get a huge weighing scale to weigh it? Haha! (I'm sure you could find one on ebay) :D

#306 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:08 PM

HamenChiz: I go with what Max said. One build is not a builder. And While I "creep" on other peoples builds and such, I tend to not post, because I do not feel I have anything of significance to add (because I am inexperienced).

Thanks for understanding, I thought you were going to hate me for it. But you have more to offer to this site, really. You listened to advice and used your own techniques. Share those with us :D

For the electronics, can you post some specific lights or items you are going to use? I'm very interested in what you will use for up-lighting.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#307 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

Very excited to plug things in and watch it run!! The chain lift wants to jerk and jam when the train first starts onto it. I have a feeling this is cause by the long lift, and when weight is applied the chain "leans" to a side and catches a cross tie (to solve this I have seen some of you duct tape on the lift, and I think I might try this and see if it helps (unless there is another suggestion?))

Also, I need to add a second motor to the pre-station, the one motor just is not enough and I'm stalling the motor out. (I stole a motor off a ride on the table that I am going to take apart for parts anyways)

MichaelG: The platform is out of real materials

(is is being held up by horses, just so I have it off the ground)
Posted Image

Posted Image

I will be hard mounting the knex to this platform. (I will also make a diagram, that if this ever needs moved thru a standard american doorway, the platform can be cut according to some disconnected pieces and then hauled off)

also MichaelG: 20k = 20,000 (as in 20,000 parts)

Maxlaam: The electronics are very straight forward for the lighting on this. While I could build my own set-up (and I will if I do not like the effect I get the first time) I am going to use some stuff I found when doing a train layout, that cut my time from weeks to hours to complete.
Posted Image
After Christmas and Halloween, you can find this for a buck or two, and grab a transformer for under $10 (which can power 4+ units). I take apart the battery housing and it already has a radio jack to plug into the transformer)

#308 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:55 PM

Well, this has been here for awhile with no replies so I guess I will have to double post.

Completed circuit and I have about 12-15 hours of run time without fixing or changing anything so far, and she looks to be doing well. (so point anything out in the pictures if it needs adjusting).

Well, a lot has happened. First I finished the platform. Seen above. Then I moved the coaster onto the platform (seen below). then with 5 people (4 lifting and 1 placing the horses) Basilisk Rail was raised (it went surprisingly easy).

I also finished the station and also the Basilisk is completed (a paint job, the eyes flash and light up, and also head and tail move) Also, I have some people to build into a queue line. Finally, I made a first attempt for uplighting, while the lights work tremendously well with model trains, for the height of the coaster they might as well have been non existent (I even tried multiples at the same time). I also do not have any LED's that are bright enough, BUT I HAVE ANOTHER IDEA IN THE WORKS.

Enough talk, here are some pictures.

on the floor on the platform
Posted Image

Raised in the air
Posted Image

The Basilisk
Posted Image

An overview
Posted Image

My favorite shotting angle
Posted Image

A closer look at the station as it is now
Posted Image

More theming and some lighting. Then one last final major move.

#309 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

Let me give you a short reply. I think this is awesome. There may still be some flaws in the ride, but I say: fuck it. You've got yourself a great ride and the special colors do add a lot to it. I think that this ride would be very different with ordinary green crossties and purple tubing.

Lovely basilisk you got there. ;)

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#310 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:43 AM

^I totally agree. I really like the black, grey and red colours. It gives it a great look, together with the basilisk :P

Posted Image

#311 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:14 AM

Wow, just an inedible ride, and the black-out base looks really fabulous. Great work.

Posted Image

#312 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:44 AM

Coasters do look so much better on a black surface :D

I also do not have any LED's that are bright enough, BUT I HAVE ANOTHER IDEA IN THE WORKS.

I could've told you that beforehand, if you were to show me those lights before. I myself use 10mm High bright White LED's and put some electrical tape around it to focus it a little better. While it's still not perfect and K'nex being a pain to up light in general it's better than nothing. For GWOH I will be using my Arduino and a couple of RGB LED's. I will put some kind of disperser on it so they shine a little wider (it's a 4,20m wheel after all!)

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#313 MichaelG

MichaelG

Architect

• 504 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

Wow, that looks really good! To my eyes I see nothing wrong, now just the finishing touches...

#314 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

damn...this thing could certainly be nominated for some kind of award. I notice this is not in the database yet, so i guess it isn't in March Madness. But i guess it really isn't finished yet....because your attention to detail is meticulous. To me it is jaw dropping awesomeness...and i agree that it's mostly because of the color scheme, although i do really like the layout too.

-CD33

Posted Image

#315 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:18 PM

I feel like I have done so much work, and yet I am pushing it just to make an update as it is. I figure this will be my last update, aside from the final video (which I hope is not long away).

Max: Here are my custom lights. (I know it is not perfect, but I am able to place them into a box made out of micro's. (6 led's at 10,000 MCD w/ 30 degree angle)
Posted Image

And here is what it looks like on the layout.
Posted Image

Also, I am setting up the station lighting
Posted Image

Just a few finishing touches to go. Build some final up-lights. Create the Animated Entrance sign (This is an experiment currently, if it works I will share it everyone).Hide all of the wiring, And of course I need people in line riding this bad boy.

(I won't move it until after the final video, it'll be easier to shot while in the middle of the floor)

#316 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

You may want to put some diffuse plastic over the boxes. They can damage your eyes when you look directly into the light. Just get some perspex or a similar transparent plastic and get some fine sanding paper and just scratch the surface with it.

Good solution and I like the station.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#317 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:28 PM

2nd Picture: Epic shot!!!
I absolutely love the lights. This is going to make it awesome.

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#318 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:27 PM

wow!

double wow!

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#319 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

That second picture, in the dark is just amazing. This coaster would be awesome to see in real life, as it is in a museum....
Although I live in NJ.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#320 MichaelG

MichaelG

Architect

• 504 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:12 AM

Oh man, this is just jaw dropping! I have to agree the second picture is amazing, just do what Max said and it will be even better! (as you don't want any letters of compplaints from staff do you?) :)