coaster season starts

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#141 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:29 AM

Wow, this looks really nice! It looks just like a real one with those rods on top. And I like what you did with the station so you can see the train! Really creative.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#142 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:47 PM

thanks guys!

all that's left is tweaking things and for looks.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#143 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:39 PM

sorry DP

I used these guys for crash test dummies. I had to make a few modifications to protect them ;-) Fortunately, this is now as close as they get to losing a head or a limb. Good thing Knex people can't reach their hands over their head!

Posted Image

#144 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:39 PM

No theming? Wait what coaster was this modeled after? I'm confused about the red rods just sticking out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#145 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:38 AM

It's not done yet.... As for what is it based on?? No ones even tried to guess that!

It's a very loose interpretation due to the size restrictions.
It should be easy with this clue.

Posted Image

#146 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:50 PM

Hey i got a question....what motor are you currently using onthe lift? Is that the 6v "tony" motor? you don't think it works that well?

-CD33

Posted Image

#147 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:16 PM

Tony? It's a Terrain Trekker 6v motor. It works fine but it is loud and eats up batteries. I am switching to a pair of electric motors because they are quieter and don't waste batteries.

I used 2 TT motors on Vortex and had to change the batteries many times. 8 batteries a shot added up fast!

#148 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:25 PM

But for electric motors, you need 3-4 to make a good lift hill. The TT is generally cheaper.

Also FTGU, are you gonna make cool flags like the real ride?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#149 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:31 PM

Sorry this is getting off topic for this thread but, I think if you have a small lift and your trains aren't wieghted that much that 2 -12v motors would work well. After debating myself i decided to buy another motor pack (12v) and use 2 on my next ride.

-CD33

Posted Image

#150 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:59 PM

I'm still waiting for an electric motor to come in the mail so I have 2 for the lift hill, but based on what others have told me I was under the impression 2 would lift a heavy train up a hill just fine.

This train is a little heavy, 4 cars with 20 pennies each.

#151 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

Tony? It's a Terrain Trekker 6v motor. It works fine but it is loud and eats up batteries. I am switching to a pair of electric motors because they are quieter and don't waste batteries.

I used 2 TT motors on Vortex and had to change the batteries many times. 8 batteries a shot added up fast!

That happened to me as well on my last coaster The Figure 8. Of course I was lazy so I just unscrewed the bottom and put new ones in. The batteries in the SS motors last a long, long time. The only problem with SS motors are that you have to use more than one, and if one loses power faster than another and slows down, it creates problems.

Posted Image

#152 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

Wow. There is so much going on in so little space! Good job. The motor in the video doesnt seem that bad. Just fix the chain dog so it doesnt hang up a bit at the end. Otherwise nice coaster!

#153 CCI

CCI

Getting Furious in 2015

• 2019 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:09 PM

Great job so far! I really like the way your going with this.

Posted Image

l El Toro l Fury325 l I305 l Skyrush l RFII l

DEY TUK ER JERBS!!

My RCT2 Projects!

RCT2 Help/Download

#154 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

Two electric motors should be fine. When I was doing testing and did not have extra motors, I could run my very heavy 5 car trains up the super long lift with only 2 motors on Basilisk Rail. A heavier load will cause more stress on the motors, but unless you plan on running all day long, 2 will be fine.

Excellent job on the ride. Love the station and the brakes look excellent in the station. Glad your Knex people do not lose their heads while riding.

#155 Justin

Justin

I am Back!

• 195 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

i see a contest winner :) brill very smooth

Posted Image Thanks Kevyn230

Official Builders of Faith Member

#156 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

This coaster looks really good! Nothing to comment on!

#157 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:01 PM

Thanks again everyone.

BlackKitty, what do you mean "no theming"? Themeing is more than just cotten balls and Knex trees. I like to think the entire structure of this ride represents a theme. I paid very close attention to detail so that all parts of this ride follow the same patterns. Yes there will eventually be flags on the red rods.

I am also putting together a new train for this ride to tie in with the old woody theme more than the train I am testing with.

Still waiting for that motor. Don't you hate it when eBay sellers are slow to ship!?

#158 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:45 PM

DP but it has been over 2 weeks since my last update. I have been putting the finishing touches on Whirlwind between going skiing every weekend.

It's finally done (well 99.999%) and I plan to shoot the final pictures and video this weekend and do the editing to get it in before the 13th.

Here are some pics of some of the updates, all pretty minor.

I added a catwalk (as much as I could, no room near the bottom)

Posted Image

and of course a sign at the top!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I decided instead of using those red rods for flags I would add a railing around the coaster.

Posted Image

and the little inside rail to this turn

Posted Image

Posted Image

I carried the railing all the way around, I like the way it looks

Posted Image

I added stairs on either side of the station.

Posted Image

One of the last things to be done is I want to swap out the TT motor on the lift for electrics. The TT works fine but the noise it makes drives me nuts and I am sick of changing batteries. I was lucky enough to get an electric motor that runs the opposite direction of others so I was able to configure them like this. That helped keep this new power source nice and compact.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It has to be because it is going to go way down at the bottom of this, inside the turn near the base of the lift. My plan is to slide the entire coaster off the edge of the table and install this from underneath. Trying to reach over the top or through the structure is impossible.

Posted Image

The only other thing left is to finish off my new train. I didn't want to use my red one or purple one because I did not like the way they looked with this coaster's color scheme. I decided I wanted a blue train. I have a bunch of cars I have not used so I am making a 6 car train even though I will not use that many on this coaster. 2 of the middle cars are converted backs. Here they are in the paint booth.

Posted Image

and after I finished painting.

Posted Image

#159 Jester1960

Jester1960

Construction Foreman

• 226 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

Love the Metalic blue cars, very nice
The whole coaster is fantastic
good job

Jester1960

#160 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:12 AM

All of the details on this coaster look fantastic. And those are the best looking cars I've ever seen.