lambchopz loop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

So for the last month, I've been building roller coaster, but not for SSC, but for a physics project. At the end of February, I will be competing in a regional/state comeptition/presentation called "PJAS- Pennsylvania Jr. Academy of Science." If you want more details, ask me, but thats not importants right now, my project is. My project involves different types of loops, and their speed and physics behind them. I've already built and tested two out of 3 loops, but I'm now on to the circular loop, and I've been having problems.

I've attempted to make as a box supported loop, and the radius was all over the place. It looked more like an oval, than a circle, which i can't use.

The dimensions are all in yellow rods, and need to stay constant, to elimanate other possible variables. The loop itself needs to be between 5-6 yellows, from the bottom of the loop's track to the top of the loop's track.

The testing needs to be done by Feb 10-12, so construction help will be appreciated now, and testing usually takes between 2-3 hours.

If anyone who read's this has any suggestions or tips, that would be much appreciated!!!

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#2 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:56 PM

Hmmm, I did this comparing experiment in NoLimits. Much easier to get rid of all other variables.

For K'nex, what you could do is build a temporary structure with the right radius and use it as a guideline.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#3 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

That's a good idea! I've tried to adapt other loops, make the curved supports, and even made the loop, then supports, but they ended up falling apart, or failing.

If I think I see what you're saying, it should work. I'll be experimenting with it throughout the week, so I'll post if it works or not.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#4 KT-creations

KT-creations

Knex coaster creations

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

we could help you more if you posted some pictures. Hope you get it to work.

#5 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

I think I already have it, but I've already tested it and took it down, but I have pics of it, if my phone will let me send them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lambchopz, loop