tiny blue rod eurofighter loop compact

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 11:43 AM

I’ve not built for a while and didn’t want to commit to anything huge so I decided to do the opposite and do something ridiculously small. The cupboard space in the room is around 110cm by 60cm but might require some wiggle space to put in there so I’ve limited myself to around 100 by 60ish.

I remembered the Winter Contest 5x5x5 challenge from 11 years ago (a depressingly long time) and this ride right now would fit into 5x3x5 grey rod space so it is extreme. But it is still a serious coaster though and I want to try and build it well even if it is a little unrealistic in terms of sharpness of some of the corners.

A fun little project with a bit of challenge and thought required to make it interesting.

Le cupboard (and some washing):

Attached File  ABC8D0D8-AB92-43DB-B7F9-0429B8F62616.jpeg   118.15KB   0 downloads

Some overviews:

Attached File  53C1314A-2CCE-4AE5-8275-C1EC196C5F57.jpeg   204.88KB   0 downloads

Attached File  F0D28E0D-CBFF-4E18-A7A3-0B526043EFCD.jpeg   174.56KB   0 downloads

Attached File  6D4C2C32-B6FC-4DAE-A8B0-D6F72A7C210C.jpeg   207.29KB   0 downloads

The shaping isn’t particularly final (there’s no track on it just now) since most of the time has been spent building little bits of track and just working out what’s possible here. I will be trying to get it relatively smooth though and hopefully it will be alright from there. The advantage of working on something like this is that you can literally pick the whole thing up and move it round or flip it on its side which is quite fun. I do plan on adding an extra layer underneath to accommodate the station-to-lift section which might require a little bit of oomph to help it catch. I doubt that will be the only challenge along the way though.

Thanks

Chris

Edited by CW5X, 06 August 2023 - 05:28 PM.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#2 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 08:51 PM

thats quite the challenge. as somone who looked up to you a lot as a kid It would be cool if we did a colab build together. we are both from the uk. and I think we have similar amount of parts. I understand about being busy though. the uk is stressfull and expensive rn so im working a lot myself

#3 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 04:19 AM

thats quite the challenge. as somone who looked up to you a lot as a kid It would be cool if we did a colab build together. we are both from the uk. and I think we have similar amount of parts. I understand about being busy though. the uk is stressfull and expensive rn so im working a lot myself

Thanks. It is proving to be a bit of a challenge but it’s keeping me entertained. Maybe some day we can get together and do something but life is quite hectic just now as you say. Just getting back into it again so have a lot of ideas for future rides coming that could be cool to work on.

Got a little test video of it so far. I’ve tidied up the supports so I have more space to build in the middle and also built another layer of blue rods into the bottom so I can do something fun with the end of the coaster. We’ll see if it works out though.

Just dribbles through right now but there will be some more speed available when I’m finished.

Thanks

Chris

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

Tyndrum

#4 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 05:26 PM

Well I built the level underneath and have now fitted the station and just about completed the main layout. I’d built myself into a bit of a hole because I needed to put the station in to support the track above but then wanted to take the station out to build the track underneath but then couldn’t because I wanted to shape the drop underneath at the same time and the station was fixed in. Let’s just say it ended up very fiddly but a fun and interesting challenge all the same. Also, being so small, some entirely new construction techniques could be used 😂😂😂

Attached File  F0A40F00-0C85-4975-9D2E-D29CC8BAA6DD.jpeg   188.33KB   0 downloads

Some upright pictures:

Attached File  AAEE4A9B-9036-42A2-8A85-EEE59F726C14.jpeg   188.88KB   0 downloads

Attached File  CD05C764-7873-44CD-9BEE-12EB28C0C573.jpeg   206.23KB   0 downloads

Attached File  FFF07C4D-0593-4BE1-B0E7-4B8073B0394B.jpeg   229.51KB   0 downloads

Attached File  A3B02ABD-B6A2-48E3-ACA1-C14EE8B6DDAD.jpeg   205.81KB   0 downloads

Attached File  837427B1-41B1-46B3-B70F-2CC95B94B277.jpeg   204.97KB   0 downloads

All-in-all, I’m actually pretty pleased with how this is turning out. I’ve managed to get a lot more out of the space than I thought I would. I know from preliminary test runs, I’ll basically have to force the train through some of the turns with more weight since they are too tight to be smooth but I’m confident I can get it to work consistently.

Thanks

Chris

Tyndrum

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tiny, blue, rod, eurofighter, loop, compact