first screamin serpent eurofighter

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Coasterking

Coasterking

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:56 AM

Hi there, just starting on my first ss. I’ve got 3ss and very little space to build with so I need to be slightly careful how big I build. I have put a link and uploaded files I don’t know what of this will work though. Any comments and suggestions would be great.

Edited by Coasterking, 07 December 2019 - 05:04 AM.

#2 Coasterking

Coasterking

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:54 AM

Just realised it’s more of an RMC

#3 OddlyCreative

OddlyCreative

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:10 AM

The valley looks too sharp. Additionally, I think you are going to lose a ton of speed using that supporting method as (1. The drop can easily bend and sway due to the lack of support connecting to ground) and (2. The supporting method seems to add a lot of unnatural transitions or bumps to the track). My suggestion would be to smooth out the drop, use more crossties, and to add more support connecting directly to the ground. I think you mimicked the look of a B&M drop way more as RMC's pre-drops typically rise back up while B&M's typically are near flat.     

#4 Coasterking

Coasterking

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:58 PM

Okay so I see what you mean by the sharpness of the valley and stableness of it (if that’s a word!) and I’ve decided to scrap that chainhill for now also due to lack of pieces and space and I’ve started construction on a euro fighter to be a lot better. Pics coming soon. Any help still would be great when the new pics come as this is my fist custom ss coaster.

-Coasterking

#5 Coasterking

Coasterking

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 02:37 PM

https://photos.app.g...P8iqk9vbVdw4T78
This is a start. Any suggestions would be great as I’ve been struggling getting enough power to get to the top of the lift hill with my weighted cars

#6 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 09:14 PM

I've taken the liberty to quickly edit a picture for you which should help a lot. ;)

eurofighterhelp

Red - Two things right here. One, you have only one motor trying to pull weighted cars up a vertical lift. On a usual 30* to 45* lift, the train is a lot easier on the motor because it's not having to pull the full weight of the train. The force of gravity on the train is spread out, and this takes a lot of pressure off the motor. Also, since the train is not vertical, the track itself also helps by holding up the train so the motor just has to do a little bit of work. Of course, you have a vertical lift so the motor is having to pull up the train with no help from an incline spreading it out or the track sharing some of the weight. Two, you have the same rod the motor is attached to attached to a 3D. That's just making it even harder on the motor. You're going to need all the power you can get for a vertical lift. 

Orange - I'd recommend bringing up the red gears to the track. There's a way to use only 1 red gear so the train doesn't hit it. This should make it a little easier on the train, too. It will definitely prevent the train from breaking so easily... 

For certain, though, one motor isn't going to be enough. Even two might not be enough. You might even have to move those two red gears on the track at the bottom of the lift up more so that the chain's path stays as vertical as possible. Hope this helps. 

Edited by SCM, 28 November 2019 - 09:28 PM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#7 Coasterking

Coasterking

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:48 AM

Sooo do I take the motor off and reattach two motors side by side at the bottom?
Also is there any way to get rid of the sag on the chain at the bottom?
Thanks anyway,

-Coasterking

#8 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:14 AM

To get rid of the sag in the chain, you'll have to start the chain higher up the lift hill or on the vertical part. Right now you have it starting at the bottom, so when the chain is resting, it will have to sag since it isn't directly on top of the track. Also, I'd suggest smoothing out the transition from beyond vertical to vertical on the first drop. 

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#9 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:07 PM

Here, I made something for you: 

eurofitherhelper
This option will also minimize the sagging chain at the bottom. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#10 Coasterking

Coasterking

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:16 AM

Ok thanks I’m away right now. But I’ll be back by tomorrow and knowing me I’m gonna spend hours until it’s perfect.

-CoasterKing

• SCM likes this

#11 Coasterking

Coasterking

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:14 PM

Ok so it’s been frustrating recently but I managed to suck it up and continue with it and I’ve managed to fix the lift hill including the shaping on the first drop and now working on the pre-drop before the chainhill to get enough speed to get it up onto the chainhill. Thanks for the suggestions . Pics coming soon!

-Coasterking

#12 Coasterking

Coasterking

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:30 PM

Soo I’m having problems with the bit right before the chainhill and it catching on as it is so high to prevent slack. I tried putting a second lift on to catch on to the rear chain dog but it gets stuck and doesn’t work.
https://photos.app.g...r8LBXV9uuP1unf7

-Coasterking

#13 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 12:29 PM

I wonder if making the pull-in tighter might work? In a way that the pre-lift is flat. 

Edited by SCM, 10 December 2019 - 12:44 PM.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#14 Coasterking

Coasterking

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 12:33 PM

How do I make tension gears I’ve looked everywhere and just can’t find it

#15 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:48 PM

To make the car catch onto the chain, you'll just need to make sure the train has enough momentum to reach it once you finish the layout. This is why I typically don't work on the lift hill until I finish my layout so I know exactly where I need to start it. Using a second chain will work as well, but you might need a train with 3-4 car lengths for it to reach the main lift.

I'm not entirely sure on how to make tension gears (as I've never had to myself), but I'm not sure if it's even necessary here. As long as your chain is tight enough, you shouldn't have any troubles getting the train up the lift hill. 

Edited by FrIeDeGgS, 10 December 2019 - 04:49 PM.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#16 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:23 PM

You should always have some sort of tensioning system in your chain lifts.  It will help reduce slack and stress on the chain.  A tensioning system is what you see on the launch of TTD:

I put together a tension gear guide, below. If you put the tension gear where SCM suggested, it will look something like this.  The red is the gears with a rod running through them.  Connect the ends of this rod to grey clips, and slide the clips onto the green vertical rods.  This way the gear can move up and down freely.  Connect the red rod to the parallel green rod below with the rubber bands in orange.  Then run the chain under the gears.  You'll need to mess with the rubber bands to get the right amount of tension, but this should be enough to get you started and understanding how this is supposed to work.

Tension Gears

As for getting the chain far enough down the pull in without all the additional slack, you're not going to be able to do that without some sort of chain guide.

Posted Image

#17 Coasterking

Coasterking

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 04:53 AM

Thanks everyone I haven’t done any work on the tension gears but I have got a little test vid of how it’s working so far.its a little shaky right now but it’s a work in progress. If any of you would be so kind as to subscribe to my YouTube channel it is called #Thrillworks with a pic of the wicker man at Alton towers.
https://photos.app.g...VJN4w4entDygEJ9
Thanks again anyways

-Coasterking

#18 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 08:12 AM

It looks good, how is the start of the lift? I noticed that was obscured ;) 

#19 Coasterking

Coasterking

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:06 AM

Not great to be honest, if you look up on this page a bit you’ll see an image of it

#20 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 02:28 PM

Not great to be honest, if you look up on this page a bit you’ll see an image of it

I did see :P 

For the video, did you move the car onto the lift with your hand before turning the lift on? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: first, screamin serpent, eurofighter