• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

*If this is in the wrong place feel free to move it*

Yes, today CP annouced on their Facebook that they are having a K'nex contest. It's for Middle schoolers and High schoolers. Your class could win up to 15 tickets to CP for there math and science week.

Links:
Student & Youth Groups, Group Sales, Admission, Cedar Point
Cedar Point K'NEX Great Thrill Ride Build Off
CP Mobile

Sadly it's only for knex, no NXT. Transportation for you and your class is not included. Although transportation for your Knex ride is. I don't know if Hotels are included.

Rules: http://www.knex.com/...d-Off-rules.php

KR11

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#2 JPCoaster

JPCoaster

Lead Engineer

• 1292 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:01 PM

Damn it!! I live in Canada...

Posted Image

#3 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

^I can't enter too! I'm only in 5th grade...

Formally RK500

#4 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:22 PM

Yes! This is going to be great, but there are going to be some newbish rides entered form what I can tell on the knex website, but if some SSCoasters members enter, they are guaranteed to win! Now if only I can recruit a knex crew form my class of non-knex builders...

Posted Image

#5 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

Any one in the Chicago area want to transfer to my high school so we can win this? I would to try this at my high school but I have a feeling I would be the only one who knows whats going on.

We could also make a high school here and try to win.

#6 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

Someone from here really should win this! If you are eligible see if you can get a teach to sponsor you. It doesn't say the student group can't be a group of one. Or just get a few friends to sign up saying they helped and do the build yourself.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#7 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:11 PM

You also have to learn lots of math, learn how to solve the equations that are needed for roller coasters. I've learned alot of them, and since I'm so good at algebra they came easy for me. But I haven't learned how to include friction, so at the end my coasters have the same potential energy as the begining. I might be willing to take up this challenge, I'm just upset that I can't use NXT. But I think this would be great for RWT, he could re-build Round About.

Kr11

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu

#8 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

I might enter this...

^Do you know where I can find out more about such equations? I'm fine with building a model, but I know very little about the whole math portion of K'nex roller coasters...

-OL659-

Posted Image

TTD l I305 l MF l Maverick l Dueling Dragons l Montu l Apollo's Chariot l Raptor l Hulk l Kumba

#9 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

My mom found a online roller coaster packet. No idea were. I would use google to find such equations, or maybe ask your physics teacher.

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png

#10 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:48 PM

Well, my only concern is the amount of people in this thing. Can there be one person in the group, or does it have to be 2+ in the group? If it is 2+, I have an idea. (I also do as well with 1 person) Can I use SSCoasters for the construction of this thing for shaping and stuff or not? I am e-mailing K'NEX a couple questions like are weights aloud on the cars, etc. so I will post my questions and answers on here as well.

Posted Image

#11 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

Wow this is amazing.
This might make me build a tube support with a base. If any one finds out the details of how many people you need and if you need a teacher please post it.
EDIT: If burrito enters this Cedar Point will choose him right on the spot.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:27 PM

^hahahaha, that could go for anyone on here, not just burrito.

I'd love to enter this, but I live pretty far away, so I know right away that my school would never pay for it. I'd also love to enter, but I know it would only be me building it, so no point for giving the opportunity to my other selfish classmates. I'd just love to build a coaster just to see if I win.

Essay, eh, I'll just be like: "PHYSICS, sa asdlkfjalg;j jgl;ajr goj iasjg in centripital acceleration.alskjgka;jsogj g blah blah blah..."

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#13 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

I did a report on roller coaster physics a long time ago. I think I had kenetic energy increase as you go up a hill and potentianal increase as you go down. yet it still got an A........ I loved the 4th grade.

#14 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Well, my only concern is the amount of people in this thing. Can there be one person in the group, or does it have to be 2+ in the group? If it is 2+, I have an idea. (I also do as well with 1 person) Can I use SSCoasters for the construction of this thing for shaping and stuff or not? I am e-mailing K'NEX a couple questions like are weights aloud on the cars, etc. so I will post my questions and answers on here as well.

I look foreward to these answers.

^ LOL Commando thats great..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#15 SFMMCrazy

SFMMCrazy

#Thrillsforallages

• 794 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:28 AM

YEAH!I can enter...................But I dont like CP. :P

Thrill Capital Insider

Where Thrills Rule

#16 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:09 AM

http://cedarpoint.th...Regs_012811.pdf

Entries, including entries related to a new construction, toy or other item (the “Device”), must be
constructed using existing K’NEX parts and sets. Adhesives are not allowed. All designs submitted
become the exclusive property of Sponsors, and entry materials will not be returned. Entrant
acknowledges and agrees that by submitting this entry, it hereby transfers and assigns all rights in the
Device under any copyright, patent or other intellectual property laws to Sponsors. Sponsors may
illustrate the Device in its catalogs, instruction books, websites, or in any other media now known or later
invented, and may otherwise inform its customers and potential customers of the Device, whether or not
entry is selected as a winner. Sponsors, and any parent, subsidiary, affiliated or successor entities, and
any of its or their present or future customers, may construct and use the Device without any further
authorization and without any payment or royalties of any kind to the Contest participants.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#17 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:27 AM

^I'm Ok with that, them taking all of it and keeping and advertising with it, that would be awesome. Pshh I'm getting 15 CP tickets and $250 On knex's website.

But wait, have they changed the prizes? Gump is that the new updated rules or something cause it says the prize is only 2 CP tickets and a small ferris wheel. I'm not gonna enter for that..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#18 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

Second link KR11 posted: Cedar Point K'NEX Great Thrill Ride Build Off
On the bottom there's a link to the official rules that Knex specified: http://www.knex.com/...d-Off-rules.php

Third link KR11 posted: CP Mobile
Right above the text there's a link to the official rules that Cedar Point specified: http://cedarpoint.th...Regs_012811.pdf

Just posting what I found out for you guys.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#19 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

OMFG NOES, DOUBLE POST!!!

I sent them Looping Star, with a note I just wanted to show them what we have in the Netherlands, hehe.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#20 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

Lol, You should show them the ferris wheel:D Only if you were in the usa...... and were younger......

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png