Cedar Point K'nex Contest!

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

There seems to be 2 contests going on. The offical one and then a CP Facebook contest of some sort.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#22 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

^ There the same one if I'm correct.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#23 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

Well the prizes are different for both and the first one is with a school group and doesn't mention facebook while the second one says alot about facebook and doesn't mention school groups.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#24 SwimZONE

SwimZONE

Models of ships are hard.

• 2654 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:24 PM

Wait, so they're different contests? I think i'm gonna enter this contest with a maga-lite. I think I can pull it off with the size of my bedroom.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Maverick | X2 | Millenium Force | Top Thrill Dragster | Tatsu
Wild Thing | Renegade | Goliath | Raptor | Mantis

#25 Kevyn230

Kevyn230

Aight

• 1347 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:39 PM

I wish in the UK they will do something like this. It's just so boring here. The theme parks here do sell k'nex but like 2 boxes are on the shelf everytime and no-one seems to care much about knex here. There are the odd 1 or 2 on SSC I know that live in England..:(

Posted Image
Under construction:
Non in Progress

#26 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:58 PM

Wait, so they're different contests? I think i'm gonna enter this contest with a maga-lite. I think I can pull it off with the size of my bedroom.

Yay! But you'd have to have some of your class (in the rules) help. You could have them help with the math I guess.

Well the prizes are different for both and the first one is with a school group and doesn't mention facebook while the second one says alot about facebook and doesn't mention school groups.

I got all the links from Facebook. You go to CP's page, and the tab labeled "Build-off". I don't think there seperate, they are just said different.

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu

#27 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

With different prizes? The rules and prizes are jurastically different.

EDIT: looked at their facebook page and it says "Enter the Facebook buildoff" It is definatly different.
The KNex website is the Cedar Point Knex great Thrill Ride Build off. You can read both sets of rules, they are definatly different. The facebook one is decieded by votes on Facebook.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#28 Millcreek47

Millcreek47

BANNED

• 1186 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

TBM should enter MF....

Its kinda gay that they take everything.....15 tickets for it? say $100 for each tickets... $1500+ not bad for a prize...more than we get on here....

Posted Image
(Sig under construction)

-----XBL Gamertag - I were Speshul-----

Top 5: Time Machine, The Incredible Hulk, Goliath, Dueling Dragons, Georgia Scorcher

#29 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

I think it said they can take it, but there was something about how they will send it back to you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#30 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:24 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold up for just a second! Here's what I just read in the "IDEAS BUILT WITH EXISTING K’NEX PIECES AND COMPONENTS" section orf the rules.

Entries, including entries related to a new construction, toy or other item (the “Device”), must be constructed using existing K’NEX parts and sets. Adhesives are not allowed. All designs submitted become the exclusive property of Sponsors, and entry materials will not be returned. Entrant acknowledges and agrees that by submitting this entry, it hereby transfers and assigns all rights in the Device under any copyright, patent or other intellectual property laws to Sponsors.

Does this mean that when we enter the coaster, our pieces will not be returned back to me/original owners? If so, that kind of stinks since I have a group of people formed for this already.

And also, great job Jogumpie for owning the American K'NEX users! I think this will be a fairly easy competition if the people at SSC are in the contest since some of the rides people have made in the past on the K'NEX website are horribly misshapen.

Posted Image

#31 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:25 PM

^ I read somewere that they break it before sending it back to you. Maybe thats what that means. If you didn't get your knex back no one would enter.

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png

#32 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:09 PM

^ I read somewere that they break it before sending it back to you. Maybe thats what that means. If you didn't get your knex back no one would enter.

Phew! I am so relieved to hear this! I was thinking that they take the ride into their own hands since they now would own it, but I guess I just misread that. My only other thoughts now are how long do they take the coaster to show it on display and are you allowed to use weights on the trains. I have to find the link that I saw to send some questions to K'NEX so I can confirm things before construction starts. (that should be when Bobsled is finished, hopefully in the middle of the month)

Posted Image

#33 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

did you email them about how many people you need for a group and what constitutes as the "teacher".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#34 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:39 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold up for just a second! Here's what I just read in the "IDEAS BUILT WITH EXISTING K’NEX PIECES AND COMPONENTS" section orf the rules.

(Blah Blah Blah)

Does this mean that when we enter the coaster, our pieces will not be returned back to me/original owners? If so, that kind of stinks since I have a group of people formed for this already.

And also, great job Jogumpie for owning the American K'NEX users! I think this will be a fairly easy competition if the people at SSC are in the contest since some of the rides people have made in the past on the K'NEX website are horribly misshapen.

2 things:

First, yeah it sucks that they take all you're parts, but thats probably equivalent to the admission you get for going into the park.

Second, Gump does not own ALL the American K'nex Users (I almost said American Users, making it sound like we were all druggies), well he's not from the USA, so it doesn't count for him to own us ALL, just the ones not on SSC.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#35 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:08 AM

What's up with the 'owning'?

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#36 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:27 AM

Who knows....

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#37 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:18 PM

Well, I e-mailed K'NEX today and they said that they will get back within 48 hours. I will be waiting to see what they say I can and can't do.

Well, I am entering the "Cedar Point K'NEX Great Thrill Ride Build-Off" and had a few questions/concerns about what we can use on our ride.

1. Are lights able to be added to the ride for night-light effects to shine up on the lift? (This would be for the display at the actual park if our coaster won)
2. Are rubber-bands allowed to be used to aid the ride?
3. Is a pair of 6-12th graders and teacher acceptable as a "student group"?
4. Are weights (pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters, etc.) allowed to be taped/hot-glued to the bottom of the Screamin' Serpent cars to add weight? This would be done to maintain speed throughout the coaster, and result in a longer layout with more inversions/elements, leading to a better coaster. (when the cars aren't weighted, the trains don't go through many elements and is hard to get a good outcome of a ride if it has a short layout) If weights are not added to the cars with hot-glue/tape, are the weights allowed to be taped together, then tied to the cars with string?

And, you do get your parts back if you read the whole rules and regulations which took me 20mins of highlighting to do.

All transportation costs to and from Cedar Point are the sole responsibility of the winners. ** Sponsors will arrange for shipment of model to Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, OH at no cost to winning school or group/organization. At end of Math & Science Week, winning models will be taken off display, broken down and the K'NEX parts will be shipped back to winning school at no cost to school or student group/organization. If winning school or group/organization wishes to have its model returned in its entirety, without being broken down into small sections or individual parts, the school will incur those shipping expenses. When notified, winners will receive detailed instructions about shipping submissions to Cedar Point.

I will post their feed-back on this thread within their response. I really hope they will let us use weights, or the coaster is going to have a really short layout and small elements. But, I did pull off a lot of stuff with Bobsled, and the trains are barely weighted!

Posted Image

#38 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for the info! And your entering speed right? If so, I would guess you would have to keep it up unless you would want to build it again.

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png

#39 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

^^ Nice to see you got a response, I got this:

Happy Building from K'NEX. We received your email and appreciate your comments. We are anxious to help and will respond to your question as quickly as possible.

If you would like an immediate response to your question, please contact us at 1(800) 543-5639, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 am and 5:00 pm, EST and a K'NEX representative would be happy to help you over the phone.

Please do not respond to this automated email.

Your friends at K'NEX!

Lame...

#40 sdrawkcaBsihTdaeR

sdrawkcaBsihTdaeR

Construction Foreman

• 176 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:12 AM

^I can't enter too! I'm only in 5th grade...

i'm in 5th grade too

ReadThisBackwards

Me is CLK 10...So I Be Building Dem Tube Supports

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

New Coaster! Yay! http://www.sscoaster...-coaster-16747/