Cedar Point K'nex Contest!

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:10 AM

I guess they never built with Knex, bought a few sets and are now learning how to build.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#62 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:59 AM

You guys might want to read this:

All entries and submitted materials (submission forms, photos, and videos) become the property of the Sponsors and will not be returned.

I don't know if this means the K'Nex, but if it does, than that's trouble.

Formally RK500

#63 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:03 AM

^ If you read Cedar Point's page about it, they changed the rules. They said that they will take it apart when that week's over and ship it back to you. HOWEVER if you want in sections or whole, then you have to pay the return shipping and etc which really sucks.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#64 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:06 AM

^Yeah, otherwise, if TBM tried to enter MF, well, that would be the end of him...

Formally RK500

#65 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:42 AM

I think in a contest like this size is going to be the winning factor. I doubt the judges will have an eye for smoothness or realism. They will pick whatever is the biggest and uses the most pieces. I also don't think they will appreciate tubes much more than boxes because they will not be builders. In fact they may favor more traditional knex look of box supports.

It will be interesting to see how this goes. I sure hope someone from here wins!

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#66 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:47 AM

^Exactly. Let me show you a scenario:
Vertical vs. Screamin' Serpent
Uh... we like the Screamin' Serpent

If it was me as the judge, I would pick Vertical over it anyday!

Formally RK500

#67 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:24 PM

Hey everyone, kind of bumping this, but I FINALLY got a response back to my questions about the challenge, even though I've just decided not to participate.

Question #1: What if you win the contest, but you aren't able to make it to the park on the specific date, do you still win the prizes and such and your model still gets shipped to you guys?

"In response to your question, yes, if your coaster design wins the contest, it will be on display here at the park. Hopefully if you win, you will be able to come to the park this summer to use your free ticket." Not truely answering my question, but good enough for me.

Question #2: Are you able to use any other types of propulsion if you decide to make a launch coaster, such as a drill, rubber bands, or even a chain lift (Jesperlaunch)??

"As for propulsion, the only items that can be used on the design are K’NEX brand items. No other items can be used."

So hopefully this can help anyone who is still deciding to take part in this challenge and may the best coaster (hopefully from SSC) WIN!. :D!

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#68 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4457 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:17 AM

It's happening again this year!

Thrill Ride Build Off 2012
http://www.knex.com/...-2012-rules.php

Last years winners:
Cedar Point K'NEX Great Thrill Ride Build Off

Good luck to you all

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#69 WardCoastez

WardCoastez

inversion lover

• 719 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:43 AM

:rotz man those last year winners were pathetic

wardcc-2.png

#70 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4457 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:20 PM

This year they shouldn't be.... I have a plan to get weighed cars in to this contest:)

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu

#71 WardCoastez

WardCoastez

inversion lover

• 719 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

nice! May the g-force be with you! :D

wardcc-2.png

#72 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4457 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

^ Lol.

Well, my idea was to put some rods on the bottoms of cars, and stick some clay down there. But asked knex if weights could be added if adhesive was not used. It took a while for them to reply, but they said only knex parts could be used as weights:( If I can figure out what parts weigh the most, I should be able to pull this off....

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png

#73 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 326 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

Guys, I won the contest last year and I will say two things. One, if you care about your pieces, don't enter. They broke 1 of my cars and about 10 of my other pieces (you will also lose pieces in the procces) And two, the team only has to be a minimum of two people so just get some physics guy to do the essay.

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

#74 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4457 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

^ If I remember correctly, when I called a few weeks ago. They said one person was fine. Please explain what winning was like, and what the process was like? And what model did you win with?

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png

#75 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

I totally screwed up last time trying to win with a huge coaster with expectations of SSCoaster people judging it. Now I know all I need to do is complete a coaster that is decent but looks cool. I really want to enter this year.

#76 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:38 PM

Jumpge and I were planning to work together on a coaster, but we emailed them and they said we need to be part of some organization like a school (or something to that effect).

#77 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:19 AM

You are part of the SSCoasters Club for Actually Building Good Coasters.

#78 Amnesiac

Amnesiac

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:29 PM

I wish they would open up the contest to individuals on their Facebook again (like they did last year) so I can try to defend my title.

#79 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:18 AM

Jumpge and I were planning to work together on a coaster, but we emailed them and they said we need to be part of some organization like a school (or something to that effect).

I know, emailed them the same thing and that was the same response I got. Pretty disappointed, but then again, I'm +6 hours from CP, so...

You are part of the SSCoasters Club for Actually Building Good Coasters.

I was actually thinking about that!

#80 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:32 AM

Pretty disappointed, but then again, I'm +6 hours from CP, so...

Their focus on only US/Canadian children, that bothers me the most. I know, it's a topic that this Cedar Point contest is only a small application of that. Were I to be at the head of K'NEX, then I would start a more international approach, with products for all ages. Enough dreaming...

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png