wooden roller coaster

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 kpmcman

kpmcman

Construction Worker

• 35 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:19 PM

After a year off from building to get my eagle scout rank I am finally back building. This is also my first time posting my constructiont progress so hopefuly you guys will be anle to help me out.

So this is day two of construction. I amplanning to build a recreation of the yankee cannonball at canobie lake park but i dont know if I will have enough pieces/speed.

Here is what I have so far so let me know what you guys think...thanks!!!

#2 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:07 PM

Great choice of a coaster. I was actually thinking of doing this in the future.

Both the lift and drop are way to steep. To my eye the lift on the real ride is about 30 degrees and the drop is about 45 at it's steepest point. Actually the middle 1/3 of the drop is almost straight and close to 45 the whole time.

I assume you are going to add diagonals to the structure as well.
This is the best pic of it from RCDB

Posted Image

You can get a better view if you follow the link to Bing maps and select the angled birds eyeview

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#3 2015ASM

2015ASM

Front Seat or Nothing

• 650 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:36 PM

Supports look good but I think you should add some diagonals to them, unless the real woodie doesn't. Also the drop looks rather bumpy but i think this is the result of the fact tht its lacking crossties. Unless you really dont have too many crossties, I would refurbish the lift and drop^ w/ FTGU's advice, then double the crossties on the drop. I will be following this, and good luck!!!! :))

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Griffon - Apollo - Millennium - TTD - Nitro - Kingda Ka - Maverick - Alpengeist - Hulk - Fahrenheit

Nighthawk-Lithium-Archangel-Insomnia- Airborne

Current Project(s):
Requiem

#4 kpmcman

kpmcman

Construction Worker

• 35 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:25 PM

April 1, 2011 Update:

-Reprofiled he lift hill and first drop

-I realize the hill isn completely built...i was bulding late and didnt get to finish it, I will also add more supports to the pullout

Here's some pics...let m know what you think:

#5 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:21 PM

Excelent job! It looks so much better.

Gonna be great!

#6 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:10 PM

You're off to a good start. Another thing you could try is to add X's and Z's in some of those boxes. It will add strength to your supports wherever you need it.

#7 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:07 AM

Indeed, adding some diagonal greys will make your structure so much better!

#8 kpmcman

kpmcman

Construction Worker

• 35 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:37 AM

Ya like I said I was building late so I still gotta add a few things. I'll definitly add the z's and x's and stuff. Look for an update later today. For anyone who knows the layout, I'm planning to get the first small bunny hill done.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#9 kpmcman

kpmcman

Construction Worker

• 35 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:09 AM

Spent some time buliding the bunny hill but not sure if it looks good...what do you guys think?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

Looks good but I think you should finish off the lift hill first. That way you will have established a style to follow for the ride and have a better idea how many pieces this is going to take. Bringing the structure up higher will give it more of that woody look instead of the track being up over the structure.

Keep it up!

#11 kpmcman

kpmcman

Construction Worker

• 35 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:04 AM

Looks good but I think you should finish off the lift hill first. That way you will have established a style to follow for the ride and have a better idea how many pieces this is going to take. Bringing the structure up higher will give it more of that woody look instead of the track being up over the structure.

Keep it up!

What do you mean by finishing the lift hill first? Im not really sure what I still have left to do do

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:36 AM

Well there has been several comments suggesting adding diagonals and z braces to the structure and you said you would do that at some point. Why not do it now. Otherwise you will not have a good idea of how many pieces you are going to use. And when you get to the point where you are going to be testing things you will want the structure to be as stiff as it should be.

I think everything would look better if the track was not so much above the structure.

#13 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:06 PM

wow this is funny i'm from MA originally and i used to go to Canobie Lake park all the time, I've ridden that coaster too many times. Good luck with the re-cre!

-CD33

Posted Image

#14 kpmcman

kpmcman

Construction Worker

• 35 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:52 PM

wow this is funny i'm from MA originally and i used to go to Canobie Lake park all the time, I've ridden that coaster too many times. Good luck with the re-cre!

hahaha thats so cool! i live like 30 min away from there and go there every summer. it was my first roller coaster ever too! hopefully im able to actually build this thing =}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#15 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

Also, more crossties wouldn't hurt.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#16 kpmcman

kpmcman

Construction Worker

• 35 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:49 AM

hey guys sorry for the lack of updates....its been a crazy week for me, i will be building later and will have an update for you later tonight(hopefully). im lokin to start the first turn today...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#17 kpmcman

kpmcman

Construction Worker

• 35 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:37 PM

sorry i didnt get the last update as promised. Ive een crazy busy lately. Luckly ive been working steadily and have an apdat for you on the ride. Let me know what you all think and dont hold any comments back. If u want andmore views let me know. Thanks guys!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#18 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:21 PM

Well I'm not gonna comment on the shaping.. (wait... EDIT: the valley in the last 2 pictures looks inconsistent and small.)
First off, I am amazed how large this is!

But, supports I think are wayyyy more important in your case.

1. It looks to weak. I thing a slight push would knock it over. Add laterals all over.

2. It looks to "open" The boxes you have are of a too large base rod. It is ok, you do not have to change it, just add cross braces all over the place.

3. You still could use more cross ties and middle tubing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#19 big builder145

big builder145

Build'n Big

• 384 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:55 PM

Blackkitty took the words out of my mouth. It is looking really good but are you sure you have the pieces for a coaster of this magnitude? It looks like you are already trying to save all the pieces that you can.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music copy and paste this into your sig.

#20 kpmcman

kpmcman

Construction Worker

• 35 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:12 AM

so heres the deal: i already am trying to save up my peices. the rest of the ride is pretty low to the ground though so I think I should be ok. I am planning to use a lot of the granite and yellow peices. What my plan is is to finish the circut and then go back in with the peices I have to add supports.

As for the valley in the last two pictures, i may have to tweak it a little but it is actually really smooth. Where it is in my basement makes it really ahrd to photograph cuz its in a tight area and theres that pole in the way. I'll take another look at it though

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wooden roller coaster